ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment 2022

The PAC 12 were on the cusp of inviting Houston and TCU last August. TCU had prepared and dropped all public prayer before sporting events were pretty much prepared to become a secular university to get into the PAC 12. For some unknown reason at the 11th hour invites weren't extended. I'm sure both will be invited now. I tend to think they won't accept. In that case I look for the PAC 12 to invite SMU and Rice. SMU would put a statue of Satan at the fifty yardline to get out of being in a conference with UNT. Rice would appease CAL and Stanford who want no part of the Cal State schools. I would think UTSA is their their third Texas option. They need a few of Texas schools for TV deal and recruiting.
Well SMU is a “top 25 basketball job” and “national title contender”, so it’s mind boggling the Pac 12 didn’t extend them an invite already!!

Reactions: FeralFelidae
This is so stupid. I don’t know why I waste my time with you.
It's stupid that you dont understand how things work. Its happened before. It has happened to Utep. UTSA was not D1 and now they have passed Utep. Remember when UNT fans got upset that Sam Houston got D1 status??San Diego State and the Boise States in the Pac 12 or Big 12 will be a threat. Whoever goes to the Pac 12 will be a threat. They now will be getting big money and be able to recruit with the big boys. These schools are not thinking longterm. When TCU got into the Big 12 they were and are a threat to Texas and Texas A&M. These schools leaving a major conference just opens the door for another school to step in .

edd324b4c9dcda260fd4ec3293cd1a4c.jpg

Failed to say that I thought UNC and UV would try big 10 before SEC but at this juncture nonthing is making sense.

It's surprising that Virginia is more attractive than Duke. Surprised that UNC wouldn't want to take Duke with them

NCAA should put a limit on members to a conference to 16. If not SEC and Big 10 or Big 20 by the time it's all done are literally going to own the monopoly on Power Teams. This is not good for college football and basketball as a whole! How in the hell are there going to be 2 20+ team Mega Powers Conferences!! I hate the SEC even more now, Damn Hitler's of College Football!!! Lol ok maybe too far... Used to be a A&M fan til they moved to SEC and was rooting for Longhorns, but that'll stop too! I'll watch NCAA March Madness and of course UTEP college sports always, but I'm almost done with the rest SMH 😒 I know they don't care about the fans like me. Money and TV Contracts rule, but they're gonna lose millions of the casual fans I believe.

• Sad
Reactions: FeralFelidae
NCAA should put a limit on members to a conference to 16. If not SEC and Big 10 or Big 20 by the time it's all done are literally going to own the monopoly on Power Teams. This is not good for college football and basketball as a whole! How in the hell are there going to be 2 20+ team Mega Powers Conferences!! I hate the SEC even more now, Damn Hitler's of College Football!!! Lol ok maybe too far... Used to be a A&M fan til they moved to SEC and was rooting for Longhorns, but that'll stop too! I'll watch NCAA March Madness and of course UTEP college sports always, but I'm almost done with the rest SMH 😒 I know they don't care about the fans like me. Money and TV Contracts rule, but they're gonna lose millions of the casual fans I believe.

Millions of fans will not be lost.

Legit question. If there are two super conferences with say 40 or so total schools and they break off, is it possible that those of us from the remaining 60+ schools will care more about what happens at this new level of college football than the Super D-1? At least we'll be competing on a much more level playing field. I know there are still a ton of questions still to be answered, just a high level whatif.

Reactions: nattybry
Legit question. If there are two super conferences with say 40 or so total schools and they break off, is it possible that those of us from the remaining 60+ schools will care more about what happens at this new level of college football than the Super D-1? At least we'll be competing on a much more level playing field. I know there are still a ton of questions still to be answered, just a high level whatif.
I mean at this level it’s like what I heard on the Bob and Tom radio show, just make it the NFL junior league and be done with it

Reactions: T-6 Miner
The NCAA no longer has any contro over the P5. The P5 can and will do what ever they want.

Reactions: kickballpro
The NCAA no longer has any contro over the P5. The P5 can and will do what ever they want.
You're right but it's the P2 driving the ship. Pac 12 and big 12 are done as power conferences. Washington and Oregon maybe Stanford go to the P2. The Big 12 has no schools of value. They've already been picked apart. The ACC still has some valuable brands but its only a matter of time until Miami Clemson North Carolina and Virginia are gone.

Last edited:

If this happens, my hope is that the rest of us return to geographically aligned conferences where regional rivalries can be reignited. The move to C-USA was the death of UTEP athletics from a fan perspective. At least from this fan's perspective.

If this happens, my hope is that the rest of us return to geographically aligned conferences where regional rivalries can be reignited. The move to C-USA was the death of UTEP athletics from a fan perspective. At least from this fan's perspective.
Unfortunately don't see it happening. Regionalization is a dirty word in D-1 athletics.

Millions of fans will not be lost.
I disagree. While not enough to move the needle for change. I do believe that the fans who represent the smaller Conferences and those not included in the Big 2 will lessen. Speaking especially about College Football. Again it won't change anything, but 2 Big Mega Conference is only money driven it is not Fan Friendly in my opinion.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I disagree. While not enough to move the needle for change. I do believe that the fans who represent the smaller Conferences and those not included in the Big 2 will lessen. Speaking especially about College Football. Again it won't change anything, but 2 Big Mega Conference is only money driven it is not Fan Friendly in my opinion.

Nope, not going to happen. Not millions, maybe thousands.

If they break away which I think they will it start with football. It won't be long until they break away totally from the NCAA. They aren't going to want the NCAA dictating how they run any of their sports.

If they break away which I think they will it start with football. It won't be long until they break away totally from the NCAA. They aren't going to want the NCAA dictating how they run any of their sports.

I don't think that's going to happen.

Sounds like the Mountain West isn't doing anything until they get poached, if that even happens.

I hope the MWC is slowly dismembered team by team forcing the remaining schools to beg CUSA for admission.
Pac 12 is going to end up being a mid major of they don't stop the bleeding quickly. If Oregon, Washington, Stanford and the AZ schools leave they will have to poach from the MWC and see if Gonzaga wants to be a Basketball only member. While it'd be a ok Basketball Conference, Football would barely be small notch above the AAC if that.

Rumors are flying about SEC raiding the ACC, etc and if it does happen then the AAC and maybe the eastern Big 12 will get raided. We are a good ways away from this being over. UTEP having a good football season with good attendance couldn't hurt.

Reactions: jdubb66 and Rot
Would this be a strong enough Pac 12 to stay in Power 5 or whatever is left of it?
UCLA, USC to Big 10, Oregon, Washington, AZ and AZ St to Big 12. Leaving...

Colorado
Utah
Stanford
Cal
Washington St.
Oregon St.
Adds... Boise St., SMU, San Diego St., Fresno St. Colorado St. and Gonzaga Basketball only

Reactions: utep-piggy
Colorado State is a no brainer. Good research school. SDSU makes sense.

I’m going to say this, don’t be surprised if PAC12 doesn’t take Boise nor Fresno, but who knows?

It's surprising that Virginia is more attractive than Duke. Surprised that UNC wouldn't want to take Duke with them

Just ask Kansas how all those bball championships are helping it find a home in the new power 2 conferences. Duke's football program might be worse than Kansas' and its all about the football money.

I hope the MWC is slowly dismembered team by team forcing the remaining schools to beg CUSA for admission.

I am so behind this idea. I hate the wannabe snob schools of the MWC that said UTEP was not good enough for their private club (looking especially at you BYU and Utah). I can't get behind the line of thinking that everything would be better if UTEP was still playing their old WAC rivals. Our ex got plastic surgery, dumped us, and moved on to greener pastures, getting back together will not fix our internal issues (lack of funding, recruiting hardships, leadership, etc.)
At this point if the MWC invite comes; UTEP should take the lifeline out of the sinking CUSA ship, but I would love to see UNM, Air Force, Colorado St., Wyoming, etc. beg UTEP to help them out if the MWC dissolves. if we are going to dream, dream big.

Would this be a strong enough Pac 12 to stay in Power 5 or whatever is left of it?
UCLA, USC to Big 10, Oregon, Washington, AZ and AZ St to Big 12. Leaving...

Colorado
Utah
Stanford
Cal
Washington St.
Oregon St.
Adds... Boise St., SMU, San Diego St., Fresno St. Colorado St. and Gonzaga Basketball only

The Big10 picking up the LA market made the Big10 extremely valuable and the Pac12 weak and venerable. None of us know where this is going, but we can assume the Pac12 will be further raided and if it survives won't have much appeal for a television contract.

Rumors that SMU has had interest from and conversations with the ACC, Big 12 and PAC 12 and is feeling confident they will get a P5 invite soon. If that happens they would be about the 8th school UTEP used to conference with that is now P5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT