ADVERTISEMENT

Sibley enters portal

If he's looking to move "up", me thinks he better have something that we never saw. If he couldn't make it with our talentless squad what does he expect elsewhere? He had ample opportunities here.
No great loss.

If he's looking to move "up", me thinks he better have something that we never saw. If he couldn't make it with our talentless squad what does he expect elsewhere? He had ample opportunities here.
No great loss.
The only way I could see him moving up is if there was someone out east recruiting him out of HS and they saw the potential and see him filling a particular role. Otherwise, he will keep moving down the ladder, me thinks.

Georgetown
V
UTEP
V
Lower rung

Good Luck to Sibley, but coaches even commented when they first saw him that he needed a sandwich. 6-8 and getting pushed around down low, not a dependable deep threat (21% in Conf play), went to the line a TOTAL of 3 times (not per game) in C-USA games, 1.3 rebounds a game in conf; mid-range game was not bad, length was helpful on defense. Looking at it objectively, do coaches feel they can make up 2.7 points a game? Not a bad gamble to take if there is a 6-7 or 6-8 220 pound transfer who can give you a bucket a game.

I'm starting to question some of yalls criticism of players. Some of you said Boum couldn't play PG and he is one of the best PGs in the nation.

Reactions: miner1liner
I'm starting to question some of yalls criticism of players. Some of you said Boum couldn't play PG and he is one of the best PGs in the nation.
You bring up a good point, Fili. During his time at UTEP, Boum gradually developed into a serviceable backup point guard in his last season, but still struggled with turnovers and decision making. At Xavier, he has developed into a solid lead guard. The player that he has become, just like Bryson, is a better, more developed and experienced player than he was at UTEP. Good to see their work ethic pay off. In Boum's case, any realistic chance to play at the next level would be at the one, so this was a great move for him.

Boum had some choke jobs at the end of a couple of games in his earlier seasons, but I don't know who was saying that he can't play PG during his last season here. Boum showed great development and not just anybody can post a triple-double.

Reactions: miner1liner
You bring up a good point, Fili. During his time at UTEP, Boum gradually developed into a serviceable backup point guard in his last season, but still struggled with turnovers and decision making. At Xavier, he has developed into a solid lead guard. The player that he has become, just like Bryson, is a better, more developed player than he was at UTEP. Good to see their work ethic pay off. In Boum's case, any realistic chance to play at the next level would be at the one, so this was a great move for him.
He had a triple-double during his last season at UTEP. He was more than a serviceable backup point guard at that point.

He had a triple-double during his last season at UTEP. He was more than a serviceable backup point guard at that point.
Yep, I'm a big Boum fan. Excellent two way player, which is a rarity these days. His ability to transition over to the one full time is impressive, and a testament to just how good a player he has become. I'm sure Bieniemy still tells him he is the better PG though. 😏

Last edited:
This to me in Boum's case is another example of Terry's inability to utilize the talents that he had available. I don't recall any discussions about Boum playing point, but I always wondered about why not. Seeing him now; he seems to be a natural at point and loving it.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Here’s the long and the short of it – you need talent. As great a coach that Haskins was, in the late 70s and early 80s he got lazy on the recruiting trail and was regularly losing. Lucky for him, he had a recruiter that brought in the likes of Feitl, Juden Smith, and Kent Lockhart – all in the same year. That sets the foundation for the success in the 80s and early 90s. That was all Tim Floyd, and the limes of Russ
Bradburd. You need the horses. I don’t care how good a coach you are, if you don’t have the horses, you’re not going to win. Coach Terry is a great illustration of this. At Utep, in my opinion, he proved to be a mediocre coach although the talent level was decent. At Texas, with all the talent in the world, he wins national coach of the year honors and looks like a genius. Golding, for a good as a coach as he may be, will not win without talent. That’s on him and his lackluster recruiting. I am a season ticket holder and donate generously, but Utep’s getting no more of my money for next year until I see the final recruiting class.

Here’s the long and the short of it – you need talent. As great a coach that Haskins was, in the late 70s and early 80s he got lazy on the recruiting trail and was regularly losing. Lucky for him, he had a recruiter that brought in the likes of Feitl, Juden Smith, and Kent Lockhart – all in the same year. That sets the foundation for the success in the 80s and early 90s. That was all Tim Floyd, and the limes of Russ
Bradburd. You need the horses. I don’t care how good a coach you are, if you don’t have the horses, you’re not going to win. Coach Terry is a great illustration of this. At Utep, in my opinion, he proved to be a mediocre coach although the talent level was decent. At Texas, with all the talent in the world, he wins national coach of the year honors and looks like a genius. Golding, for a good as a coach as he may be, will not win without talent. That’s on him and his lackluster recruiting. I am a season ticket holder and donate generously, but Utep’s getting no more of my money for next year until I see the final recruiting class.
Good for you. Hopefully more people will “follow your lead”.

well-bye-later.gif

You can feed a mule the finest oats in the world, but he’ll still never win the Kentucky Derby.

Wish him the best, but he probably won't do well at SUU either (the WAC is not a terrible conference). He would have been better off going to a lower D1 school.
SUU just lost their coach, so they might drop a little bit too. They could get a Bronze coach like we did.

Started at GTown in the Big East, now he’s at Southern Utah in the WAC.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT