ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

MinerDave

All Star
Dec 20, 2001
Monday March 18t his the first day of the portal. I'd like everyone's opinion on who is leaving?

For some reason I don’t sense much in the way of defection like in years past. Aside from the 4 seniors on their way out, I think Hebb will move on to his 4th school as a grad transfer. Maybe one or two more but I can’t begin to guess who that might be.

Monday March 18t his the first day of the portal. I'd like everyone's opinion on who is leaving?

20% chance that TxRdKiller is leaving the program if he can get a NIL deal with UT like Onyema. 250k over 4 years isn't a bad deal. Don't even know if that's the parameters around his supposed 250k but if it's for 4 years I'll take it. Not all that great for a college athlete but not bad for a fan.

I say Otis Frazier. I can see him trying to upgrade to a program that has a good chance at making the NCAA tournament next year for his last year of eligibility.
It’s Frazier’s team. Camper & Terrell to back him up would make a good start.

It’s Frazier’s team. Camper & Terrell to back him up would make a good start.
The most likely to flee IMO, is Jones. After Golding basically made it clear that he was not worthy. What motivation would there be for him to stay?

I don’t see much demand for Fraiser. Way too inconsistent. Jones is gone. Hope Hebb leaves. ( not a d-1 player) . Just hope the others stay.

Reactions: kickballpro
No names in the portal yet. My hope is keeping Frazier, Camper, Hamilton or Kalu if not both, Terrell and Horton. That base with the right transfers and KJ Thomas might be decent. Problem is Golding hasn't showed he can recruit the talent to win at this point. It was a different animal without the NIL, but Gillespie and Barbee proved it can be turned around quickly. Golding is taking his sweet A.. Time! Next year is NCAA or bust as far as I'm concerned not NIT even.

No names in the portal yet. My hope is keeping Frazier, Camper, Hamilton or Kalu if not both, Terrell and Horton. That base with the right transfers and KJ Thomas might be decent. Problem is Golding hasn't showed he can recruit the talent to win at this point. It was a different animal without the NIL, but Gillespie and Barbee proved it can be turned around quickly. Golding is taking his sweet A.. Time! Next year is NCAA or bust as far as I'm concerned not NIT even.
I had a chance to watch KJ Thomas is San Antonio, where his team lost in the State Final 4 for his division. Overall, he had kind of a rough game shooting in that one, but you can see why he scored so many points in high school. He isn't the biggest guy, so there is a question of how much of his offensive game will translate over. I do think that if he adds strength, he could see some PT. Still, if all the guys you listed return, I think Golding needs to look at the portal for experienced guys to replace Hardy and Powell. Hopefully, he also add a PF that can score and defend. I don't see Moreno as that guy, but I have been wrong before.

I had a chance to watch KJ Thomas is San Antonio, where his team lost in the State Final 4 for his division. Overall, he had kind of a rough game shooting in that one, but you can see why he scored so many points in high school. He isn't the biggest guy, so there is a question of how much of his offensive game will translate over. I do think that if he adds strength, he could see some PT. Still, if all the guys you listed return, I think Golding needs to look at the portal for experienced guys to replace Hardy and Powell. Hopefully, he also add a PF that can score and defend. I don't see Moreno as that guy, but I have been wrong before.
Absolutely need quality transfers that can help right away. 1. 3pt shooters 2. PF. 3. Slasher and pull up type wings that can create their own shot.

I can confirm Golding is already going after a transfer guard from UT Arlington. Saw him play, the kid is quick and can shoot. Also Texas St. is losing some quality players Golding should look into.

Reactions: Lil_Train
If the main core stays then we need a strong PG who can score and facilitate and then a PF that can score in the paint to take pressure off our centers while providing some in and out play. On top of that we hope that Mbengue is a stud on defense/rebounding AND our young guards improve (and Jones gets stronger 😉). Do that and I can see that team in the NCAA next year.

It's gonna be hard enough with minimal NIL, but if everybody starts leaving then we are screwed.

If the main core stays then we need a strong PG who can score and facilitate and then a PF that can score in the paint to take pressure off our centers while providing some in and out play. On top of that we hope that Mbengue is a stud on defense/rebounding AND our young guards improve (and Jones gets stronger 😉). Do that and I can see that team in the NCAA next year.

It's gonna be hard enough with minimal NIL, but if everybody starts leaving then we are screwed.
What about Terrell? I'm pretty sure he is in line for big minutes at the point.

I’m sure we’ll see Terrell and Horton here next year and that will be nice with KJ. I wouldn’t worry about Moreno

Word is that Golding is doing Exit Interviews with all the players. When that process is complete we will know what direction these young men will want to go. Some may not get their Scholarship renewed.
Aside from Hebb, who might that be?

Terrell got some figuring out to do. Some players might not even do the interview I assume

Terrell got some figuring out to do. Some players might not even do the interview I assume
Well that doesn't sound encouraging 😮 Tough these days for a school like UTEP, but it takes the right coach to embrace it and make it work. Apparently the teams in the Mountain West make it work. I'm still befuddled by how much better the Mt. West is in Basketball than every other mid major!?

Once he was named CUSA freshman of the year, I knew his time at UTEP was limited. Maybe he could stay because of his mother being an alumni... but he could get an opportunity closer to home too.

Let's hope he stays atleast one more season. I expect a few transfers though.

Once he was named CUSA freshman of the year, I knew his time at UTEP was limited. Maybe he could stay because of his mother being an alumni... but he could get an opportunity closer to home too.

Let's hope he stays atleast one more season. I expect a few transfers though.
He'll have much better offers and NIL deals next year if he stays one more year and puts up good numbers and helps take Utep to the NCAA! At least that's what I'm telling him if I'm Golding lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT