ADVERTISEMENT

Some additional perspective...

Lil_Train

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
When Floyd was first hired at UTEP, one of the first things he mentioned was his intention to build the program the "right way" by recruiting HS freshmen. This year we returned a core of players that have indeed been with the program for their entire college careers. These guys are Thomas, Touchet, Flaggert, Willms, and Harris. The best player, Frazier, was brought in as a senior grad transfer.

Based on this experienced core of players, the general expectation was to have a "successful" year. Very long shot at the tourney, but perhaps an NIT year. This was the year most anticipated to be a "decent" year; similar to Aaron Jones last year in football. While there are still a ton of games left to play, my initial expectations appear to be way off.

I mention all this to preface the true point of this particular rant: NEXT year in basketball looks to be a complete rebuild/disaster similar to what we have seen this year in football. Looking at the projected roster for next year, it would not be far fetched see a team that struggles to win ten games. Obviously, we (the fans) can't possibly be the only folks that see this. Is it going to take a Kugler like situation again to make a change? Unfortunately, I think we already know the answer to that one. Clearly, the promise to build a program has been a complete failure.

Last edited:
When Floyd was first hired at UTEP, one of the first things he mentioned was his intention to build the program the "right way" by recruiting HS freshmen. This year we returned a core of players that have indeed been with the program for their entire college careers. These guys are Thomas, Touchet, Flaggert, Willms, and Harris. The best player, Frazier, was brought in as a senior grad transfer.

Based on this experienced core of players, the general expectation was to have a "successful" year. Very long shot at the tourney, but perhaps an NIT year. This was the year most anticipated to be a "decent" year; similar to Aaron Jones last year in football. While there are still a ton of games left to play, my initial expectations appear to be way off.

I mention all this to preface the true point of this particular rant: NEXT year in basketball looks to be a complete rebuild/disaster similar to what we have seen this year in football. Looking at the projected roster for next year, it would not be far fetched see a team that struggles to win ten games. Obviously, we (the fans) can't possibly be the only folks that see this. Is it going to take a Kugler like situation again to make a change? Unfortunately, I think we already know the answer to that one. Clearly, the promise to build a program has been a complete failure.

Well said.

I agree with most of what you said but the MBB team has a lot of talent. They just need someone to let it loose. Imagine these guys with Barbee? If the team stays intact and the recruits come in the next coach will have some good players to work with. If Floyd is fired/quits and there is an exodus then yes next year will be a total rebuild.

There are so many questions every year about the utter collapse of UTEP basketball and every year several of us think, "OK, that's all behind us; this is the year we've been waiting for". Well, now it appears to be another absolute train wreck. All the expectations of the returnees plus the hype for the newcomers...Wade, Osborne, Smith, Gilyard, etc.had us pumped for certain successive. Willms has been pretty much as expected, while Omega has struggled and maybe his problems are justifiable with his back, but Thomas; my God he has been worse than horrible. If it weren't for Frazier we would have nothing at all. As I've stated before...I was thrilled when Floyd arrived, but if I'm gonna live long enough to be proud once again; I realize it won't be with him and time is running out. When all these apparently talented players land here, something spooky happens to them and the whole program becomes voodooed. What a miserable existence being a Miner alum.
Last place after losing to Appalachian State.
.....and again we hang around and suffer while nobody cares but us.
Hopeless!

When you look at the production we will be losing after this year; then factor what we are projected to have back, and combine that with what looks like an underwhelming group of incoming freshmen recruits, next year looks like a giant rebuild. The year for Floyd to win was this year. Next year, there are holes up and down the roster.

Reactions: El Paso 777
That AD has his or her work cut out for them. Wish we all had answers. In the words of someone i know, "time to drain the swamp." But im not sure it will happen.

If the haskins center is half empty, thats the only way to send a message. Maybe im wrong. But again giving even a dollar to this department without a proper foundation and plan and letting the fanbase know whats going on, how do they expect suppprt? Obviously my yearly contributions have not put me on that list to know whats going on, but im willing to bet, the bigger donors, have to have had at least been given an idea of what to expect. My guess, the new ad will be hiring a new football, as well as basketball coach.

We need 2 young hungry coaches that come from a tree of winning. Out with old, as its proven to be unsatisfactory, and headed nowhere. For those that stay positive and say were not in bad shape. I praise your optimism, i as well as other donors, former athletes, have a hard time even turning on the tv.

Do not think a Kugler type situation will happen. Floyd will not step down and UTEP will not fire him.

Next year? Already complaining about next year! Wow, I'll enjoy the development of this team this year and start worrying about next year sometime next year. The year has just started, and unlike alot of you, I see alot if promise.

Reactions: Jimmy the Miner
However, Floyd will go somewhere. He said this summer he still has the fire.

The problem with your thesis is Touchet and Flaggert suck, and we already knew that.

Reactions: TW3miner
That's true. Too bad the Vegas 16 went under. Maybe the city can make it's own post season tournament. Invite 3 other teams, call it the Final Cuatro. UTEP would be invited, along with Louisiana College, Hardin-Simmons, New Mexico Military Institute. Canal Cinco can be the exclusive rights holder. Chris Park would love to talk about this great event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT