UTEP athletics turns $5 million profit

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
UTEP

UTEP athletics turns $5 million profit in 2023, report to NCAA shows​

Bret Bloomquist
El Paso Times

The UTEP athletic department took in more than $5 million more than it spent last year, offsetting $35,386,434 in expenses with $40,707,967 in revenue, its 2023 financial report to the NCAA shows. The financial report was obtained by the El Paso Times through an open records request. The biggest revenue intakes came from $9,254,063 in student fees, which more than offset what UTEP spent in scholarships and student-athlete aid ($7,801,918, the biggest expense), and $10,359,839 in direct aid from the university.
UTEP added $3,900,951 in contributions from donors and $5,931,286 from Conference USA.
Beyond scholarships, UTEP's biggest expenses were salaries for coaches ($6,648,325) and support staff ($5,033,557).

Bret Bloomquist can be reached at bbloomquist@elpasotimes.com;
@Bretbloomquist on Twitter.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...fit-in-2023-report-to-ncaa-shows/72509239007/

From what I've been told, it's not just baseball, but UTEP would also have to add a woman's sport as well.

UTEP is 55% women students. So the Athletic Department must be within 1% of that. So 54-56% of Athletic Scholarship money needs to go to Female athletes.

Very few schools are compliant and I am not sure UTEP has ever been compliant. But we aren’t adding more male scholarships soon to go more out of compliance

Well, that’s good news for UTEP athletics. Let’s spend that money on improving our facilities and providing a better experience for our student athletes.

I say UTEP pockets the cash. IF, and it’s a big IF…. but if Walden can right the ship we have a wad of cash to throw his way or bring in another guy that can fill the void.

Doesn't this imply a net loss of $5 million to the university? UTEP's athletic department claims a profit of $5 million for the department, but that includes a $10 million payment from the university to the athletic department.

Yes it does. That article doesn't tell the whole story. Just a few years ago, they lost $18 million.

Spend the money on more security, UTEP does need a lot more "Best" security personnel. At minimum 2 more at every tunnel entrance and then station 2 at the midpoint of every set of stairs, we don't seem to have enough 65 year old retirees providing "security".

I hope this is sarcasm. lol

Spend the money on more security, UTEP does need a lot more "Best" security personnel. At minimum 2 more at every tunnel entrance and then station 2 at the midpoint of every set of stairs, we don't seem to have enough 65 year old retirees providing "security".
We need to build a walk path up to the andesite peaks so people don't have to leave the stadium to do their "business" in a Toyota. It would be pretty handy.

I have a glimmer of hope that if Golding has a losing season this year, he's gone and we eat a million or whatever it is. At least Walden has restored my hope! Walden has this school motivated again. We need to get the same going for Basketball and thanks Golding, but you weren't the guy.

Last edited:
Only if UTEP can ever realize Journey wrote more than one song. “Don’t Stop Believing” is pretty stale. And lately, UTEP fans have already stopped believing.
That "Wheel in the Sky" song is pretty good. (I don't know much about Journey, but that's the other song I know.)

It sort of reminds me of that Simpsons clip of BTO:

Hi, my name is Michael Levy, and here's my plan for generating more revenue. Stop sucking at men's sports. Win a bowl game and get to the NCAA men's tournament. Games will sell out, boosters will throw money at us. I'll look like a freakin genius and move on to higher paying job. That's it, thank you.
Just like they do it at TCU, where Levy worked prior to UTEP 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT