ADVERTISEMENT

Uteps NIL program

NMSU even with all this scandal, has recruited significantly better than UTEP do they have a big NIL? Same conference, yet UTEP is struggling with recruiting in basketball. Sucks
Well, NMSU has certainly recruited more, but they're replacing an entire team. I don't know enough to say if they're good recruits.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I'm telling you, man. It's that Golding schtick that isn't working. Ya feel me?
I would love to see a local news headline: "UTEP coaches from football and basketball get into drunken bar brawl"

Colin Deaver on Twitter:

"Reports that that two coaches, one from each respective program who got into a jovial pissing contest on who has more pressure, got heated as one punched another at a bar in the Cincy District..."

It's so bad that "Well, at least we're not in NMSU shoes" is gaining traction.

This quote is funny: "Our goal is to make UTEP’s basketball program more competitive and at least on an equal footing with other Conference USA teams,” Steve Haskins said in a release."

We have sunk so low that our goal is just to be at least equal to other CUSA teams.

Reactions: axingfools1
This quote is funny: "Our goal is to make UTEP’s basketball program more competitive and at least on an equal footing with other Conference USA teams,” Steve Haskins said in a release."

We have sunk so low that our goal is just to be at least equal to other CUSA teams.
It’s a start.

Why not give the NIL some $ and be a part of the solution?
The basketball NIL is $5,000 minimum and not tax deductible as a charitable donation. They’re not going to get many takers with those requirements. Trying to make some elitist country club.

The football one, will take any donation. That’s how it should be.

“ How can I join the NIL Club and support the team?

To join the NIL Club, simply subscribe by making a monthly commitment to the club. Commit to what you can. Any subscription amount grants you access to the club’s content and community. Every dollar counts and every supporter is appreciated.”

The basketball NIL is $5,000 minimum and not tax deductible as a charitable donation. They’re not going to get many takers with those requirements. Trying to make some elitist country club.

The football one, will take any donation. That’s how it should be.

“ How can I join the NIL Club and support the team?

To join the NIL Club, simply subscribe by making a monthly commitment to the club. Commit to what you can. Any subscription amount grants you access to the club’s content and community. Every dollar counts and every supporter is appreciated.”

I could easily give $5,000, but I won't because I don't trust Senter and Wilson. I have given $1,000's over the years and won't donate again until there is better leadership.

I'm already paying my son's tuition at UTEP. I'm not going to give money to random unknown players just because they play a sport. That's not the intention of the NIL (despite what is has become).

I would consider donating to an NIL collective if UTEP had feasible plans for the major sports, facilities and good coaches/AD AND I knew the collective had good support.

Otherwise start charging students a greater athletic fee. Make it part of the tuition so students don't have a choice. It's part of being a University student IMO. Let the wealthier alumni donate to the collective and force advancement. If that can't be done them my 5k is a waste.

I'm already paying my son's tuition at UTEP. I'm not going to give money to random unknown players just because they play a sport. That's not the intention of the NIL (despite what is has become).

I would consider donating to an NIL collective if UTEP had feasible plans for the major sports, facilities and good coaches/AD AND I knew the collective had good support.

Otherwise start charging students a greater athletic fee. Make it part of the tuition so students don't have a choice. It's part of being a University student IMO. Let the wealthier alumni donate to the collective and force advancement. If that can't be done them my 5k is a waste.
You know what? I don’t think students should be charged student fees. If these student athletes want to be paid, let the athletic department figure it out. Let these schools run their athletic departments like a franchise and if they sink they sink. There is no reason the cost should be put onto the students, who then have to take student loans, which may or may not be forgiven by the federal government. So the cost of funding college athletics could fall on the American taxpayer. If these schools, be it UTEP, or anyone else for that matter can’t run it why should we pay for it? These athletes want to get paid? Let them figure it out, just don’t stick us with the bill.

On one hand we have an antiquated college athletics program where schools stick it to students to keep up with the joneses, and a new NIL world where on top of it we have these collectives that want us to pay to give money to these athletes. I love UTEP athletics, but at what point will it come to a head where it’s not freezable for UTEP or other schools to prop up these athletic departments when they constantly operate at deficits? UTEP’s already 4300 per semester, how much more should these students pay to prop up Dimel and Golding and all those other sports no one care about?

Last edited:
I'm not going to give money to random unknown players just because they play a sport. That's not the intention of the NIL (despite what is has become).
That’s fine and I agree. However, we can’t upset when these guys have a good year and get picked off by another school next year.

A lot of people probably feel the same way; only have 4 contributors (4 more than Chris Craig btw).

Reactions: Taco1977
UTEP has been in CUSA for almost 20 years. It's sad that they are just starting to try to be equal to other teams. They should be one of the best teams in the league.
UTEP has 1 regular season basketball title during that time. The football team, doesn’t even have a division title and only has 4 bowl appearances.

Throughout this time, UTEP has lead or been near the top in attendance for both sports. “Cheerleaders” like 2Step and Zay will beg for sellouts for all games, but fan attendance doesn’t matter. UTEP’s results have proven this.

UTEP is probably the worst FBS athletics program for fans. They only take from us, they stopped giving a long time ago.

Reactions: EPUTEP
You know what? I don’t think students should be charged student fees. If these student athletes want to be paid, let the athletic department figure it out. Let these schools run their athletic departments like a franchise and if they sink they sink. There is no reason the cost should be put onto the students, who then have to take student loans, which may or may not be forgiven by the federal government. So the cost of funding college athletics could fall on the American taxpayer. If these schools, be it UTEP, or anyone else for that matter can’t run it why should we pay for it? These athletes want to get paid? Let them figure it out, just don’t stick us with the bill.

On one hand we have an antiquated college athletics program where schools stick it to students to keep up with the joneses, and a new NIL world where on top of it we have these collectives that want us to pay to give money to these athletes. I love UTEP athletics, but at what point will it come to a head where it’s not freezable for UTEP or other schools to prop up these athletic departments when they constantly operate at deficits? UTEP’s already 4300 per semester, how much more should these students pay to prop up Dimel and Golding and all those other sports no one care about?
Revenue from a student athletics fee, which is standard across D1 schools, would not go towards NIL deals.

A student athletic fee is not for paying players, that is what the NIL collective would be for. Student athletic fee is to help keep up with college athletic needs. (which are part of the University).

I understand some may not agree with a student athletic fee or an increase in the fee, but many other universities that are keeping up do it. I don't see the problem.

NIL has flipped the pyramid. Golding makes 700K a year. Time to consider hiring an up and coming assistant for 200k and putting 500k into the NIL. All of these plus a piece of the box office.

Stud 1 - $100,000
Stud 2 - $100,000
Starter - $75,000
Starter - $75,000
Starter - $75,000
Sixth Man - $50,000
Role Player - $25,000

Last edited:
NIL has flipped the pyramid. Golding makes 700K a year. Time to consider hiring an up and coming assistant for 200k and putting 500k into the NIL.
Interesting idea, but not how it works. UTEP has nothing to do with the NIL money.

UTEP needs to hire a coach that can recruit and coach. Probably somebody that need a 2nd chance. Somebody that can put a jolt back into the program. Someone that will garner more interest in the program and in turn encourage more $$$ into the NIL collective. Then UTEP has to be smart enough to keep the ball rolling.

Interesting idea, but not how it works. UTEP has nothing to do with the NIL money.

UTEP needs to hire a coach that can recruit and coach. Probably somebody that need a 2nd chance. Somebody that can put a jolt back into the program. Someone that will garner more interest in the program and in turn encourage more $$$ into the NIL collective. Then UTEP has to be smart enough to keep the ball rolling.
It's not a recruiting game anymore. It's recruiting plus $$. We can argue about the recruiting but we ain't got at least one of those crucial elements. Pep Guardiola is a great coach but he wouldn't be at the top of the world without the money behind those players.

Reactions: axingfools1
Revenue from a student athletics fee, which is standard across D1 schools, would not go towards NIL deals.
But this is my point. If these athletic departments can’t operate then maybe they need to give up. Why does any financial burden have to fall on the students? Give me one good reason why aside from the fact that you love UTEP athletics? Franchises fold all the time across sports and no one bats an eyelash. If the alumni want to keep it afloat, then let’s raise the money and donate. I donate my bit to athletics, and I buy my tickets, but UTEP has been so inept and incompetent at connecting with the alumni base it’s ridiculous. And that’s something Senter and everyone else before him and associated with alumni outreach should be forced to answer for. But when you look at schools diverting academic money to offset athletic losses, or schools passing the buck to students, why?

Reactions: FedupMiner
But this is my point. If these athletic departments can’t operate then maybe they need to give up. Why does any financial burden have to fall on the students? Give me one good reason why aside from the fact that you love UTEP athletics? Franchises fold all the time across sports and no one bats an eyelash. If the alumni want to keep it afloat, then let’s raise the money and donate. But when you look at schools diverting academic money to offset athletic losses, or schools passing the buck to students, why?
Old Pre NIL 2016 article but still spot on, IMO, especially what you all are hitting on.
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/18/texas-universities-are-hiking-student-fees-support/

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
It's not a recruiting game anymore. It's recruiting plus $$. We can argue about the recruiting but we ain't got at least one of those crucial elements. Pep Guardiola is a great coach but he wouldn't be at the top of the world without the money behind those players.
Yeah it definitely takes both. We have neither. We need one to kick start the other, or vice versa.

NIL has flipped the pyramid. Golding makes 700K a year. Time to consider hiring an up and coming assistant for 200k and putting 500k into the NIL. All of these plus a piece of the box office.

Stud 1 - $100,000
Stud 2 - $100,000
Starter - $75,000
Starter - $75,000
Starter - $75,000
Sixth Man - $50,000
Role Player - $25,000
Money for NIL doesn't come from the University just to be clear. Wish this idea would work though. At least UTEP is trying, but that's the problem. They simple want to try and keep up with a bottom level conference. Why not be the best and move on to better opportunities and more money for the University???

Old Pre NIL 2018 article but still spot on, IMO, especially what you all are hitting on.
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/03/18/texas-universities-are-hiking-student-fees-support/
Actually, a 2016 article 2step. Strangely, I never thought I would miss late stage Stull, but he was more competent than Senter even with one foot out the retirement door...sad. Says alot about why the program is currently at in comparison to some of the other schools mentioned in the article.

Last edited:
Old Pre NIL 2018 article but still spot on, IMO, especially what you all are hitting on.
Exactly. And Stull’s argument for fees to offset athletics was, “Athletics brings alumni and community together.” Yeah… really? Is that how you justify a trash hire like Kugler, 10k a Game and that pounding we took vs Army along holding onto the decomposing corpse that was Tim Floyd’s career? That article is absolutely right. Because these schools have 0 stakeholders to answer to they can run it any way they want. Lose money? Cool. Need money? F-it…. Student Athletic Fees. If this is the future and kids can profit from their own likeness cool. Then make it some weird pro/semi-pro Jackie Moon league and run it like that. And if these schools can’t afford to make ends meet then so be it but don’t force students to pay for it. Maybe these schools would get serious about their stupid spending and all those glamour projects would go out the window, and we could cut out all of the dead weight sports. Consolidate all this nonsense.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Exactly. And Stull’s argument for fees to offset athletics was, “Athletics brings alumni and community together.” Yeah… really? Is that how you justify a trash hire like Kugler, 10k a Game and that pounding we took vs Army along holding onto the decomposing corpse that was Tim Floyd’s career? That article is absolutely right. Because these schools have 0 stakeholders to answer to they can run it any way they want. Lose money? Cool. Need money? F-it…. Student Athletic Fees. If this is the future and kids can profit from their own likeness cool. Then make it some weird pro/semi-pro Jackie Moon league and run it like that. And if these schools can’t afford to make ends meet then so be it but don’t force students to pay for it. Maybe these schools would get serious about their stupid spending and all those glamour projects would go out the window, and we could cut out all of the dead weight sports. Consolidate all this nonsense.
Look, UTEP athletics is bad, but you’re clueless about how to improve it.

Actually, a 2016 article 2step. Strangely, I never thought I would miss late stage Stull, but he was more competent than Senter even with one foot out the retirement door...sad. Says alot about why the program is currently at in comparison to some of the other schools mentioned in the article.
Corrected.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Look, UTEP athletics is bad, but you’re clueless about how to improve it.
I’m not saying how to improve it. But if we can’t run college athletics without incurring debt year in and year out then please explain to me what’s the point? And if you can’t give me a good reason why this is the right way then you’re clueless too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-athletic-debt-soars-power-135039484.html

Illinois’ Athletic debt was at 300 million in 2020. Cal Berkeley moved 18 million in debt from their stadium renovation project onto the school thus saddling the school and taxpayers with the debt. Rutgers university loaned the athletic department 84 million which the Athletic department reported as income, against university and NCAA guidance. Explain to me how any of this is ok. But these are the transas every school pulls because no one’s willing to hold these sheisty ass Athletic Departments accountable because we want our schools to have good teams. We value athletics over all else to the point we turn a blind eye to their blatant mismanagement of budgets. This isn’t a UTEP thing, this is an NCAA thing.

Last edited:
I’m not saying how to improve it. But if we can’t run college athletics without incurring debt year in and year out then please explain to me what’s the point? And if you can’t give me a good reason why this is the right way then you’re clueless too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-athletic-debt-soars-power-135039484.html

Illinois’ Athletic debt was at 300 million in 2020. Cal Berkeley moved 18 million in debt from their stadium renovation project onto the school thus saddling the school and taxpayers with the debt. Rutgers university loaned the athletic department 84 million which the Athletic department reported as income, against university and NCAA guidance. Explain to me how any of this is ok. But these are the transas every school pulls because no one’s willing to hold these sheisty ass Athletic Departments accountable because we want our schools to have good teams. We value athletics over all else to the point we turn a blind eye to their blatant mismanagement of budgets. This isn’t a UTEP thing, this is an NCAA thing.
I hate what it's becoming, too, and I don't understand how what seems to be the endgame fits into the academic mission of these schools. The purpose of athletic scholarships was to give kids a chance to earn a college degree in return for their services. For the non-revenue sports, that's still the case, and the revenue sports subsidize the non-revenue sports. But now with the arms race, and kids being lured purely for NIL bucks without any pretense of going for their degree, I don't think G5 schools like UTEP can afford to compete, and I fear schools will begin dropping their athletics programs and all those athletic scholarships (including the non-revenue sports) will go poof. Then fewer disadvantaged kids will get the opportunity for a paid college degree.

I hate what it's becoming, too, and I don't understand how what seems to be the endgame fits into the academic mission of these schools. The purpose of athletic scholarships was to give kids a chance to earn a college degree in return for their services. For the non-revenue sports, that's still the case, and the revenue sports subsidize the non-revenue sports. But now with the arms race, and kids being lured purely for NIL bucks without any pretense of going for their degree, I don't think G5 schools like UTEP can afford to compete, and I fear schools will begin dropping their athletics programs and all those athletic scholarships (including the non-revenue sports) will go poof. Then fewer disadvantaged kids will get the opportunity for a paid college degree.
It’s not just G5 schools that can’t compete. You only have a handful of schools that operate in the black.

Reactions: kickballpro
Lower your expectations
It comes down to what kind of university you want to be.

Sure, they could cut football, basketball — hell, even all athletes.

I don’t know if that’s the right call or not.

🤷‍♂️

Ok, let’s agree UTEP can’t keep up. What’s your suggestion?
What can you do? You either have to increase revenue through donors or sales. And we know that you can’t raise ticket prices since no one goes anyways. Or you have to cut expenses. What other options are there?

If every school ran their athletic department as a legit business there would be a massive reset in college athletics. And as bad as we think UTEP is they may be in a better position than many universities like those I mentioned above. UTEP does operate at a loss, but their losses are nothing compared to many big programs.

What can you do? You either have to increase revenue through donors or sales. And we know that you can’t raise ticket prices since no one goes anyways. Or you have to cut expenses. What other options are there?

If every school ran their athletic department as a legit business there would be a massive reset in college athletics. And as bad as we think UTEP is they may be in a better position than many universities like those I mentioned above. UTEP does operate at a loss, but their losses are nothing compared to many big programs.
You’re looking at it as a hardliner not a brand builder.

There should be a $5 option. We love $5 deals. If we get 1k people to commit $5 a year we could probably afford one of those unknown recruits Golding loves.
Haha. It can be a campaign to give bench players at other schools averaging 2 points per game the opportunity to make their dreams and ambitions a reality of being a starting player at this level.

Reactions: JCorona
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT