ADVERTISEMENT

WTF?!

Unfortunately, the UTEP AD's comments (while supportive of the effort for the team) are telling about the competitive nature of the athletic department and its direction which to me seems to lack vision of competitiveness.

At the University of Texas, the athletic director came in with an edict that the all athletic programs would compete for championships. If they did not, the coaches were evaluated accordingly. Some articles for your reading:

Texas Hires TCU's Chris Del Conte As Athletic Director

Texas extends athletic director Chris Del Conte’s contract through 2030

This university is infected with individuals in leadership position that are okay with mediocrity. And the reason for that is because they come from lower tier schools where UTEP is an actual step up from where they were. So UTEP averaging 4000 in basketball seems like a big deal, but for us it's a symptom of a dying program.

Anyone who is okay with how this basketball season turned out and doesn't see that it's just a continuation of subpar athletics is enabling the trajectory of the slow death of the program that we are currently on.

I was listening to miner talk after the game yesterday and so many people called saying they were proud of what Golding accomplished this year. The host actually took pride in us being second in attendance when this is one of the worst attended seasons in miner history.

This university is infected with individuals in leadership position that are okay with mediocrity. And the reason for that is because they come from lower tier schools where UTEP is an actual step up from where they were. So UTEP averaging 4000 in basketball seems like a big deal, but for us it's a symptom of a dying program.

Anyone who is okay with how this basketball season turned out and doesn't see that it's just a continuation of subpar athletics is enabling the trajectory of the slow death of the program that we are currently on.

I was listening to miner talk after the game yesterday and so many people called saying they were proud of what Golding accomplished this year. The host actually took pride in us being second in attendance when this is one of the worst attended seasons in miner history.
Any evidence that “they” come from lower tier schools?

Senter --citadel
Golding--ACU

There's nothing wrong with starting at a lower tier school as long as you're hungry to keep progressing and don't see UTEP as a terminal job. But we are getting people who are content to be at UTEP and we're never going to improve with people who aren't hungry to succeed and keep moving up

The two host on Miner talk are way to close to Utep. They both are cheerleaders for the Miners. I get angry listening to them, so have quit. They are both full of shit, whether they are on with Kappy or doing the post game shows.

I agree with everyone that this season was a disappointment. On one hand the conference tourney run was a glimpse of “what should have been” if UTEP didn’t have their offensive woes, but the fan base was nonexistent as the season wore on. For a program that has been in the dumps that run was too little too late.

If Golding stays on another year, the seat gets a little warm. In my opinion football season could be the barometer that decides Golding’s fate. Regardless of record, if Walden can up the attendance significantly with his energy and team play in year 1 then that should be the standard by which a UTEP coach should be judged. Golding has had more than enough time, and if you’re not going to win, at least bring the fans in.

How I look at is this:
UTEP has continually been passed by and passed up through the years with what were once our equals. The list of teams that we once rubbed elbows with, now looking down on us is laughable! The commitment for Greatness in Athletics, namely the money making athletics has been Dormant for many years! It goes back to before Senter even. Natalicio was already letting athletics slide in favor of academics. Not saying Academics aren't important, but why not both! Stull was an issue as well. A long time ago UTEP should've did what UConn did and Prioritize Basketball. It's what El Paso was once proud of. Football has never been our sport. I do hope Walden does good things, but Basketball is supposed to be the source of our Miner Pride! UTEP should dominate this watered down version of CUSA, but yet we went 7-9 and were playing to be a 16th seed in the NCAA!? I just wanted to say it out loud so we can realize how much we've fallen. MWC got 6 bids, CUSA didn't even get any NIT bids and our lone team is a 15th seed. While it was nice to dream for 3 days, reality of our lot on life is a bitter pill to swallow!

I agree with everyone that this season was a disappointment. On one hand the conference tourney run was a glimpse of “what should have been” if UTEP didn’t have their offensive woes, but the fan base was nonexistent as the season wore on. For a program that has been in the dumps that run was too little too late.

If Golding stays on another year, the seat gets a little warm. In my opinion football season could be the barometer that decides Golding’s fate. Regardless of record, if Walden can up the attendance significantly with his energy and team play in year 1 then that should be the standard by which a UTEP coach should be judged. Golding has had more than enough time, and if you’re not going to win, at least bring the fans in.
Price fever was infectious and he while he personally capitalized on it, which there’s wrong with that, college coaches do that, UTEP blew conference title hopes. His only signature win was very highly over ranked but good offensive output #12 Houston. BG came in and delivered energy and UTEP football and especially basketball tickets were selling good. Stull opened up a “fan store” on the then “far eastside”. Silver plated “Puc Axes” were popping up on El Paso back fender, next to American Flag 9/11 stickers. Pride was high.

Price floundered, BG left for upstart TAMU. Barbee, while not initially & openly embraced, brought hope back but Auburn, like TAMU, said “how much?”.

14 years later, Golding pulled a Mike Price when fate was literally on your side, he blew it. I’m sorry, he did.

And what does Senter say? Basically, “Aw, schucks!!”.

WKU coach Lutz delivers almost on the one year anniversary announcement of his hiring, 3/18/23.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT