ADVERTISEMENT

2018/19 BASKETBALL ROSTER

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
The new player photos are now showing on the website.
Question: When you consider the resumes of specifically Jakobe Dill and Garrett Sullivan it's hard to imagine they weren't scholarship talent. Anyone know if they were offered schollys elsewhere? I didn't double check, but are they "preferred walk-ons" and what exactly is a preferred walk-on?
They sure seem to have quality credentials to get some PT on what is a seven scholly squad.

Preferred walk-on just means they are guaranteed a spot on the roster. They may be good enough to get a scholly elsewhere, but I'm glad they chose Terry/UTEP.

Question: When you consider the resumes of specifically Jakobe Dill and Garrett Sullivan it's hard to imagine they weren't scholarship talent. Anyone know if they were offered schollys elsewhere? I didn't double check, but are they "preferred walk-ons" and what exactly is a preferred walk-on?
They sure seem to have quality credentials to get some PT on what is a seven scholly squad.

Anxious to see Nigel Hawkins

The difference between a walk on and a preferred walk on is practice time. A PWO can work out with the scholarship athletes in the summer and is part of the squad year around. A regular walk on can only practice when school is officially in session because they’re just a ‘student’ who is on the team.

The difference between a walk on and a preferred walk on is practice time. A PWO can work out with the scholarship athletes in the summer and is part of the squad year around. A regular walk on can only practice when school is officially in session because they’re just a ‘student’ who is on the team.
Thanks for the explanation. So how does a coach inspire an athlete like Sullivan for instance to travel across the continent at his own expense and enroll in school just for the honor of practicing with scholarship players. I don't get the incentive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT