Tarke Jr 6'6"
Archie So 6'6" (Jan 2020)
Stroud Fr 6'5"
Wenzel Fr 6'5"
Lathon So 6'4"
Hawkins So 6'4"
Boum So 6'3"
Zarzuela Fr 6'3"

I wouldn’t be surprised if Terry is in the market for a grad transfer PG or a shooter.

Not sure if anyone heard RT’s interview with Teich, but Teich said if Stroud is eligible sounding like it’s been a worry, having a grad transfer PG would be a nice get even if Stroud is eligible.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I wouldn’t be surprised if Terry is in the market for a grad transfer PG or a shooter.

Not sure if anyone heard RT’s interview with Teich, but Teich said if Stroud is eligible sounding like it’s been a worry, having a grad transfer PG would be a nice get even if Stroud is eligible.
I thought there were no spots for more players? That two players from the team would have to depart to free up space for all the incoming players, which just happened? I don't think we can take on a grad transfer.

I don’t mean to hijack your thread. With Frisco and CUSA announcing that the tournament will stay in Frisco for two more years this exciting for UTEP fans and alumni living in Texas. I can envision us taking over DFW the next two years during March.

I don’t mean to hijack your thread. With Frisco and CUSA announcing that the tournament will stay in Frisco for two more years this exciting for UTEP fans and alumni living in Texas. I can envision us taking over DFW the next two years during March.
May it be so, amigo, may it be so.

Reactions: miner1liner
Who thinks that Odigie is relegated to the 2nd team next year? I do. I also think Eze gets the redshirt so that leaves Vila or Verhoeven to play stretch 4-5's and defend the rim. I think we are going to LOVE Verhoeven as a finisher and rim defender. He looks like he has grown into a man the past 2 years.

Whoever the center is, Williams will help free him up. Come conference play we will have Tarke, Stroud and Archie as stretch defenders and big time finishers. Boum may take over at the 2, but we may see Boum, Lathon and Hawkins on the floor at the same time.

Depending on whether or not Boum can run the point too, we may see Zarzuela back up the point and Wenzel redshirt, or Boum back up the point (when Lathon is out) and Zarzuela redshirt with Wenzel coming off the bench to hit 3s.

Hawkins looks big also. I think hes inched closed to 6'6" than 6'4". Anyway, nice to have some size on the team. Its been a minute.

Who thinks that Odigie is relegated to the 2nd team next year? I do. I also think Eze gets the redshirt so that leaves Vila or Verhoeven to play stretch 4-5's and defend the rim. I think we are going to LOVE Verhoeven as a finisher and rim defender. He looks like he has grown into a man the past 2 years.

Whoever the center is, Williams will help free him up. Come conference play we will have Tarke, Stroud and Archie as stretch defenders and big time finishers. Boum may take over at the 2, but we may see Boum, Lathon and Hawkins on the floor at the same time.

Depending on whether or not Boum can run the point too, we may see Zarzuela back up the point and Wenzel redshirt, or Boum back up the point (when Lathon is out) and Zarzuela redshirt with Wenzel coming off the bench to hit 3s.
The combination possibilities are almost endless with the apparent degree of talent waiting in the wings. I also considered the possibility of Efe as a backup, but I also feel that with his new sidekicks he should be even more impactful causing defenders to consider other threats.

I don't think the freshman see the floor next year in my opinion right now. That could change, but right now I'm not sure why people see them playing right away on this team next year. I don't see them figuring into a 10 deep.

I don't see Efe on the bench next season. I can't even remember the last time we had a true freshman big man average almost 13 points and 10 rebounds per game. He is only going to get better and next year we have players who can give him more breathers on the bench. Most games he was completely gassed at the end of the game from all the minutes he had to play. And with Williams on the court, teams can't really double team him anymore.

Reactions: unihorn
I don't think the freshman see the floor next year in my opinion right now. That could change, but right now I'm not sure why people see them playing right away on this team next year. I don't see them figuring into a 10 deep.
With Kobe gone, I don't see many options behind Lathon at the point next year other than Zarzuela. The other guards on the team are two guards who have never run a team. Just because a player is a guard does not necessarily mean he is a point. An obvious example is a guy like Hawkins. I can't imagine the number of turnovers he would have if he was required to have the ball in his hands as much as a point guard. To be honest, I think Lathon is a question mark at the position going into next year. He was very loose with the ball at times this year, and not a very good free throw shooter. There were mulitiple instances where he missed both free throws at the end of games. It reminded me of Artis. The guy playing point needs to be a good free throw shooter on a team expected to compete for a spot in the tourney because that guy is going to have his hands on the ball at the end of the game.

I see Odigie getting about 20 minutes/game next year from both the 4 and 5 positions. Offensively, he is a load down low, but is limited on the defensive end. Terry mentioned conditioning for him is huge, although he got better as the year progressed. He also mentioned how he likes mobile big men, referring specifically to Williams and Verhoeven. The way Terry has laid out the roster, there will be competition at virtually every spot. Playing time will be ALOT tougher to come by for sure.

I can't see Efe backing up anyone. He has come along nicely.
It sure will be interesting to see it all comes together. I will bet at least 2 don't pan out and leave. I'm stoked about ALL of the new guys.....but then again, it's only on paper right now...

With Kobe gone, I don't see many options behind Lathon at the point next year other than Zarzuela. The other guards on the team are two guards who have never run a team. Just because a player is a guard does not necessarily mean he is a point. An obvious example is a guy like Hawkins. I can't imagine the number of turnovers he would have if he was required to have the ball in his hands as much as a point guard. To be honest, I think Lathon is a question mark at the position going into next year. He was very loose with the ball at times this year, and not a very good free throw shooter. There were mulitiple instances where he missed both free throws at the end of games. It reminded me of Artis. The guy playing point needs to be a good free throw shooter on a team expected to compete for a spot in the tourney because that guy is going to have his hands on the ball at the end of the game.
Lil ..Do you know if anyone (Zarzuela, Boum, Hawkins, Lathon) played the point in HS? Having a LEGIT point guard is so vital. Might be tougher to find than a legit post player. CRT must have searched the depths of HS and JC.
We've had some gems in the past.

Last edited:
Lil ..Do you know if anyone (Zarzuela, Boum, Hawkins, Lathon) played the point in HS? Having a LEGIT point guard is so vital. Might be tougher to find than a legit post player. CRT must have searched the depths of HS and JC.
We've some gems in the past.
Looks like Boum played some PG in High School. Not sure if he played any point at San Francisco. Terry mentioned that Stroud may be an option there too.

15154446098048.jpg

Baller, but he’s been injury prone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT