ADVERTISEMENT

2024 March Madness participants

Miner_Tavo

Rookie
Aug 29, 2002
I was gonna post this in the college basketball thread but thought a separate thread was better to highlight this depressing fact: utep has shared (11) or is sharing (1) a conference with 12 of this year's participants:
WKU
UAB
Arizona
Boise
BYU
Colorado State
FAU
Houston
Nevada
UNM
SDSU
TCU

Glad to see BYU get knocked out in the first round by Duquesne. I’ve seen a few of their games and thought they were overrated.
A10 was greatly under reported but tougher than anticipated.

Every year there is a P5 coach, president, big dollar booster who sticks their foot in his mouth. Yesterday it was Tom Izzo. I am surprised it was him but then again these folks are X's and O's legends but don't have the brain power to the see the bigger picture. After almost thirty years of battles for fair market player compensation that SCOTUS had to finally make a rule and post George Floyd, it's about the player, not the school and it's status in a conference. A player can almost freely leave one institution to another. We all love capitalism, right? Well, that's what is behind this.

Basketball is a money making pipeline and Izzo get the finest crude or close too it; however, Americans do not like monopolies.

Tom Izzo...expressed support Wednesday for ending automatic access to the tournament for mid- and low-major conference champions

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Kind of agree with it. Something should change. Regular season champs would be better imo. Also why not have the four weakest conference champions have their own mini tournament and the winner of that bracket joins the big boys.

For example this season it would have been

209 Stetson vs 290 Wagner
273 Howard vs 279 Grambling St

Winner of this gets to challenge the top overall seed.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Kind of agree with it. Something should change. Regular season champs would be better imo. Also why not have the four weakest conference champions have their own mini tournament and the winner of that bracket joins the big boys.

The conferences decide whether to award the winner of their conference tournaments the auto bids. They can choose to send their champions, like the ivy use to. What izzo is suggesting is taking even that away from the mid majors. And keep in mind, uteps conference would definitely fall outside the acceptable range.

I much prefer what the NCAA has done thus far - allow for the play in games to be any seed between 10-16 to be in the play in games to allow for more mid level bubble teams to make it. If anything, expand those play ins so the committee can beat keep the lowest teams at 16 while allowing every conference to still get a bid and money.

The conferences decide whether to award the winner of their conference tournaments the auto bids. They can choose to send their champions, like the ivy use to. What izzo is suggesting is taking even that away from the mid majors. And keep in mind, uteps conference would definitely fall outside the acceptable range.
This is the correct interpretation of Izzo's statement. Essentially, he wants the whole Tournament to be at large. His excuse is that games with mid majors have low ratings past the first weekend. The real reason is probably that his team was on the bubble this year, something he wouldn't have had to worry about if the P5s dominated the selections even more. It's a load of horse sh!t.

Wow! Nevada was cruising against Dayton, up 17 with less than 10 minutes to go. Then it appeared as if they had watched the ends of our games against FIU, and said "hey, let's do that." They lost by 3. What a Miner sized choke job.
I drank the Colorado St. Kool-Aid after Tuesday night. Not looking good so far against Texas. Maybe Virginia really was that bad.

I drank the Colorado St. Kool-Aid after Tuesday night. Not looking good so far against Texas. Maybe Virginia really was that bad.
Defensively they have been just fine against Texas. If you told Unihorn Texas would only have 27 points at halftime, he would think they were losing.

Offensively, they look just like they did against SDSU when they only scored 9 points in the second half of their game with them.

I said the SEC was the biggest fraud of them all. They don't defend anyone outside Auburn.

In saying that, I don't see Tennessee having a shooting night like Colorado State did against Texas. But, I also think Texas will score a lot more points than they did as Tennessee is not close to being the defensive team Colorado State is. Either way, it is the last win for either one of those 2 teams.

The fact that college basketball refs routinely screw college basketball really should be fixed at some point soon.

The Mountain West is 0-3 so far. Makes you wonder if they deserved to have six teams in the NCAA tourney. Not a good showing so far.

Great to see teams like Oakland take down a blue blood like UK.

Colorado State won their first game, so they are not 0-3.

Nevada was a fluke loss as they were up 17 with 9 minutes left and as you notice they were the lower seed.

Secondly, if you tell me that Colorado State held Texas to 27 points in each half, you would have thought they won.

So, it is not a terrible showing as they were all lower seeds as well. Now if Utah State, Clemson and SDSU all struggle you may have an argument.

It is funny though, how you picked on the MWC, and not the Big 12 or SEC which all had high seeds and did way below expectations. Those conferences Big 10 included are supposed to do way better than then they are. Were they supposed to put more from those conferences and less from the MW?

Remember when the Mid-Major conferences do poorly, it just tells the committee that they have justification shoving more teams like Virginia down our throat and less from the lower conferences. All the non-major conferences suffer.

I know most on this board want the MW to fall on their face because they hate that they left UTEP out in the cold. Remember it was Stull that turned down the invite. It is not the MW's fault they seem to be succeeding and UTEP is stuck in one of the crappiest conferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerManiac
Wow! Nevada was cruising against Dayton, up 17 with less than 10 minutes to go. Then it appeared as if they had watched the ends of our games against FIU, and said "hey, let's do that." They lost by 3. What a Miner sized choke job.
Yep and at halftime it was reported that they were 24-0 when winning at the half this year.

Samford got hosed. Had a chance to upset Kansas but got a foul called on one of the cleanest blocks you'll ever see. Samford had closed a 21 point 2nd half deficit down to a 1 point KU lead when this occurred. Could have given Samford a chance to take the lead with something like 14 seconds left in the game.

Nevada was a fluke loss as they were up 17 with 9 minutes left and as you notice they were the lower seed.

Secondly, if you tell me that Colorado State held Texas to 27 points in each half, you would have thought they won.

So, it is not a terrible showing as they were all lower seeds as well. Now if Utah State, Clemson and SDSU all struggle you may have an argument.

It is funny though, how you picked on the MWC, and not the Big 12 or SEC which all had high seeds and did way below expectations. Those conferences Big 10 included are supposed to do way better than then they are. Were they supposed to put more from those conferences and less from the MW?

Remember when the Mid-Major conferences do poorly, it just tells the committee that they have justification shoving more teams like Virginia down our throat and less from the lower conferences. All the non-major conferences suffer.

I know most on this board want the MW to fall on their face because they hate that they left UTEP out in the cold. Remember it was Stull that turned down the invite. It is not the MW's fault they seem to be succeeding and UTEP is stuck in one of the crappiest conferences.
At this point, it's the narrative around the MWC. They're the one of the few non-major that get multiple bids but they fall on their faces in the tournament. Add that to the week of they got disrespected talk, and it just further enforces the narrative.

On Nevada, yeah, they the 10 seed, but there was an outcry that those seeds should have been flipped. I think Nevada closed as the betting favorite as well.

But, we'll definitely see tonight. I don't think Utah St. gets by TCU. SDSU probably gets by UAB, but it don't think they get to the second weekend. As much as it pains me to say it, I think New Mexico is the MWC team built to make a run in the tournament.

Reactions: Rot

My bad for not counting the play in game. By the way, I didn’t know Clemson was part of the MW?

My comments were based solely on the MW’s record in the first round so far. It’s not a good look for the MW to get half their teams knocked out in the first round. As far as seeding is concerned, that’s part of being a mid major. That’s why most of us like seeing the lower seeds beat the higher seeds. I’m all for mid majors beating P5 schools in any sport. In another post I celebrated Duquesne and Oakland’s victories over p5 programs. I recognize the MW is superior to CUSA and other mid majors. However, I don’t think they were deserving of 6 teams in the tourney. As far as Nevada having a big lead, nobody cares, they still lost. That was one of UTEP’s problems this year, not finishing games. I’m not hating on the MW and hope UTEP will someday be a part of them. The issue I have is including 6 MW teams and not including more teams from other mid majors like the A-10. You better believe the P5 schools will be poking fun of the committee for taking so many MW teams who are getting beat in the first round.

Glad to see BYU get knocked out in the first round by Duquesne. I’ve seen a few of their games and thought they were overrated.

I had to be in Utah for a business trip when I filled out my bracket and I inadvertently drank the Mormon Kool Aid, should have known better.

Every year there is a P5 coach, president, big dollar booster who sticks their foot in his mouth. Yesterday it was Tom Izzo. I am surprised it was him but then again these folks are X's and O's legends but don't have the brain power to the see the bigger picture. After almost thirty years of battles for fair market player compensation that SCOTUS had to finally make a rule and post George Floyd, it's about the player, not the school and it's status in a conference. A player can almost freely leave one institution to another. We all love capitalism, right? Well, that's what is behind this.

Basketball is a money making pipeline and Izzo get the finest crude or close too it; however, Americans do not like monopolies.

Tom Izzo...expressed support Wednesday for ending automatic access to the tournament for mid- and low-major conference champions

I respect the coach so much; I have learned never to underestimate his teams in the NCAA tournament. These screams of the rich wanting to stay rich and not letting other have their moment in the sun.

Samford got hosed. Had a chance to upset Kansas but got a foul called on one of the cleanest blocks you'll ever see. Samford had closed a 21 point 2nd half deficit down to a 1 point KU lead when this occurred. Could have given Samford a chance to take the lead with something like 14 seconds left in the game.
They also got called for a ghost foul late where they got the steal and the Kansas guy fell on his own.

My bad for not counting the play in game. By the way, I didn’t know Clemson was part of the MW?

My comments were based solely on the MW’s record in the first round so far. It’s not a good look for the MW to get half their teams knocked out in the first round. As far as seeding is concerned, that’s part of being a mid major. That’s why most of us like seeing the lower seeds beat the higher seeds. I’m all for mid majors beating P5 schools in any sport. In another post I celebrated Duquesne and Oakland’s victories over p5 programs. I recognize the MW is superior to CUSA and other mid majors. However, I don’t think they were deserving of 6 teams in the tourney. As far as Nevada having a big lead, nobody cares, they still lost. That was one of UTEP’s problems this year, not finishing games. I’m not hating on the MW and hope UTEP will someday be a part of them. The issue I have is including 6 MW teams and not including more teams from other mid majors like the A-10. You better believe the P5 schools will be poking fun of the committee for taking so many MW teams who are getting beat in the first round.
Thanks for the informative reply. I can see where you are coming from.

What was said by Corona rings true. They would not take away from the big boys but add more if they did not have 6 MW teams. It is a great accomplishment as you never see that many from a Mid-major.

Indiana State should have been in instead of Virginia as Corona said as well.

Defensively they have been just fine against Texas. If you told Unihorn Texas would only have 27 points at halftime, he would think they were losing.

Offensively, they look just like they did against SDSU when they only scored 9 points in the second half of their game with them.
Ugly offensive performance last night by both teams. Disu and Abmas are gonna have to dial it way up to beat Tennessee.

Reactions: Rocketsr
At this point, it's the narrative around the MWC. They're the one of the few non-major that get multiple bids but they fall on their faces in the tournament. Add that to the week of they got disrespected talk, and it just further enforces the narrative.

On Nevada, yeah, they the 10 seed, but there was an outcry that those seeds should have been flipped. I think Nevada closed as the betting favorite as well.

But, we'll definitely see tonight. I don't think Utah St. gets by TCU. SDSU probably gets by UAB, but it don't think they get to the second weekend. As much as it pains me to say it, I think New Mexico is the MWC team built to make a run in the tournament.
The thing about SDSU is that no one on here had them making the Sweet 16 last year, I said 2 years earlier they were headed to at least the Elite 8 as they were built for it.

I also see Auburn (If they even win) having a big issue with LeDee inside. If the refs call it close could work 2 ways, as he can draw a ton of fouls and Auburn will get in foul trouble, or LeDee gets in foul trouble and they are cooked.
This is the thing though either way: Auburn is going to burn out in the second half at around the 10-minute mark as they do not play in that altitude. SDSU is used to it. SDSU beats you down and it shows up late.

Secondly, SDSU having to play UConn in Boston is ridiculous. Almost an impossible task.

Utah St will beat TCU today. Big 12 has shown to be weaker than first thought. New Mexico depends on House and he has to have 1 other shooter join him for them to be successful. I also see a decent run in them as well.

Glad to see New Mexico and the other MW teams getting their asses whooped. Just sayin'...

Reactions: nattybry
I have no idea what a veteran like Davis (FAU) was thinking. It looked as if he had no idea about the time left on the clock.
And then UNM and the rest of the Fountain West (except SDSU) can thank themselves when the committee no longer considers them no more than a 2-3 bid league

I have no idea what a veteran like Davis (FAU) was thinking. It looked as if he had no idea about the time left on the clock.
Disagree. He knew exactly what he was doing. He was going to stick a 30 foot junper in someone's face and make One Shining Moment this year.

Reactions: mikesarabia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT