ADVERTISEMENT

2024 March Madness participants

Cinderella says Hi

GHckOBua4AAHnXW

If a Cinderella is in the championship game people will watch. Most definitely. And most people would be rooting for them. This “blue bloods” only in the final four or final game is bs. That’s what the big guys want (Big 10, SEC, ACC). We all will root for the small guy all the way through and will love it if they win.
My hope is for Gonzaga vs SDSU in the finals. I would be much more excited for that then two number 1 seeds. But my bet is that UConn vs Purdue, for example, would bring much higher ratings. It's not the way I cheer, but the rest of the country doesn't follow my preferences for some crazy reason.

IMO tv executives know blue bloods move the ratings. Cinderellas are cute and all but is there evidence that they draw more viewers than a traditional powerhouse vs powerhouse matchup?
That's probably true. With UNC, Arizona, Duke, UCONN, etc... the ratings probably won't take a dip now that I mention that.

If a Cinderella is in the championship game people will watch. Most definitely. And most people would be rooting for them. This “blue bloods” only in the final four or final game is bs. That’s what the big guys want (Big 10, SEC, ACC). We all will root for the small guy all the way through and will love it if they win.

No kidding, Arizona struggled making 3’s like the Miners.

It was cool to see two of the best HS players hailing from El Paso in the sweet 16. Hope Tristen Newton and his Huskies
repeat as NCAA Champs.
While seeing an El Pasoan win his 2nd National Championship has its charms, I am desperate to see a Mid Major win one. I'm all in on the Zags from here on out. Now if they get eliminated, I'll reevaluate whom to cheer for (poor team).

Well, now Gonzaga is gone (damn it!), meaning there are no mid majors left. So whom do I cheer for? UConn, for their El Paso connection? Houston, since I was born in Texas and already have one Houston team (the Rockets) among my favorites? NC State, as they are the biggest underdog left? I don't know. What I do know is that, given the way I like to cheer, this year's tournament has been one of the most disappointing for me.

Well, now Gonzaga is gone (damn it!), meaning there are no mid majors left. So whom do I cheer for? UConn, for their El Paso connection? Houston, since I was born in Texas and already have one Houston team (the Rockets) among my favorites? NC State, as they are the biggest underdog left? I don't know. What I do know is that, given the way I like to cheer, this year's tournament has been one of the most disappointing for me.
UCONN

Wow is this Houston-Duke game ugly. 45 total points in the first half. It feels like a UTEP Orange vs White game.
I guess Jamal Shead wrapped up the national POY. With him, Houston's a contender. Without him, they're a souped up version of Old Dominion. Tough as nails and will guard the heck out of you, but not a whole lot of skill.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I am perplexed on the coaching carousel:

Utah St brings in Danny Sprinkle, who only did 1 year at Montana St. He brings in a completely different team, makes the NCAA, and then leaves again after only 1 year.

Western Kentucky hires Steve Lutz, after his 2 year stint at Texas AM Corpus Christi, they make the NCAA tournament, and he leaves after 1 year to go to Oklahoma State.

So, my question: If UTEP gets a coach on any caliber that brings in a whole bunch of new players, and makes the NCAA tournament, would he then leave after 1 or 2 years, take his players with him, and UTEP would be worse off? I am just not sure what you do to keep a coach when he is successful from taking off.
It just seems to me that you would be constantly doing this. Losing players to the portal, and losing coaches of any substance.

I think the only solution is to constantly bring in great young coaches knowing they will immediately be gone as soon as they are successful, then look for another one that wants to do the same thing? I just don't know what the solution is. Fortunately, we have a coach where I don't think this is going to be the issue, the unfortunate part is that the team will also be average.

• Haha
Reactions: FarWestTexas

Utah St brings in Danny Sprinkle, who only did 1 year at Montana St. He brings in a completely different team, makes the NCAA, and then leaves again after only 1 year.

Western Kentucky hires Steve Lutz, after his 2 year stint at Texas AM Corpus Christi, they make the NCAA tournament, and he leaves after 1 year to go to Oklahoma State.

So, my question: If UTEP gets a coach on any caliber that brings in a whole bunch of new players, and makes the NCAA tournament, would he then leave after 1 or 2 years, take his players with him, and UTEP would be worse off? I am just not sure what you do to keep a coach when he is successful from taking off.
It just seems to me that you would be constantly doing this. Losing players to the portal, and losing coaches of any substance.

I think the only solution is to constantly bring in great young coaches knowing they will immediately be gone as soon as they are successful, then look for another one that wants to do the same thing? I just don't know what the solution is. Fortunately, we have a coach where I don't think this is going to be the issue, the unfortunate part is that the team will also be average.
Golding is the type of coach to get us to the NCAA every 5-7 years. This is perfect for him and Utep Administration. I expect him to be here a long time with those numbers! SMH 😒

IMO there’s nothing we can do unless the next Haskins walks in the door. It’s a money game and there’s levels to it. Sprinkle went from making 185k in the beginning of 2023 to 3.3 million right now. I’m sorry but only an idiot would turn that down to stay loyal to a school. Same applies to players. I don’t care how much they like the coach. Players know how quick coaches are to jump nowadays.

Our salary is in the same range as Utah St. we should be able to hire from a small program. Enjoy the success of the coach for a year or two. Then hope we strike gold on the next hire.

IMO there’s nothing we can do unless the next Haskins walks in the door. It’s a money game and there’s levels to it. Sprinkle went from making 185k in the beginning of 2023 to 3.3 million right now. I’m sorry but only an idiot would turn that down to stay loyal to a school. Same applies to players. I don’t care how much they like the coach. Players know how quick coaches are to jump nowadays.

Our salary is in the same range as Utah St. we should be able to hire from a small program. Enjoy the success of the coach for a year or two. Then hope we strike gold on the next hire.
Well we definitely didn't strike Gold this last time.

There is nothing UTEP can do unless they somehow get a major donor that just loves the school and wants to transform it. We were left behind years ago when we never invested in football.

Having a constant carousel of successful short term coaches is way better than sticking with one mediocre coach for 5 years ala Dimel and Golding. Sign me up for 1 year turnaround NCAA runs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT