ADVERTISEMENT

62 years of this!

LTMiner61

All Star
Gold Member
Apr 15, 2004
I was born a Miner fan 62 years ago. My dad began taking me to fb and bb games before I could walk. Through the years, I’ve asked myself why do I go through this year-end and year-out. My wife actually feels sorry for me…she begs me to change allegiances to one of the schools I received grad degrees. Today, I’ve never been closer to making that change. Reasons:

1) For 5 decades we’ve seen a gradual deterioration of senior administrative and donor commitment to athletics.
2) Held on to fb coaches years beyond what we should.
3) General lack of vision and specific attainable financial goals with a strategy and compelling case to obtain those goals.
4) Deterioration of student commitment to both fb and bb.
5) Lack of facilities upgrades (see above #3) shown by the struggle to even raise money for a training table, as an example.

Now, I see enough complaining on this site and I really hesitate to pile on without providing suggestions on how to improve. I believe it’s just not enough just to b*tch all the time without pitching in to provide a better way.

Where do we go from here other than can the coach and AD? That obviously falls on deaf ears and it’s only shouting in an echo chamber.

I’ve never been more frustrated than I am today with UTEP athletics.

GO MINERS!

If you care about UTEP athletics, you’re rooting for them not to win both of the last two games. Senter is such an awful AD, he might see it as improvement.
I think the losing season was enough, I don't believe 2 wins does anything. With that said, Liberty will smash us and will be a top 25 team when they come to El Paso

I was born a Miner fan 62 years ago. My dad began taking me to fb and bb games before I could walk. Through the years, I’ve asked myself why do I go through this year-end and year-out. My wife actually feels sorry for me…she begs me to change allegiances to one of the schools I received grad degrees. Today, I’ve never been closer to making that change. Reasons:

1) For 5 decades we’ve seen a gradual deterioration of senior administrative and donor commitment to athletics.
3) General lack of vision and specific attainable financial goals with a strategy and compelling case to obtain those goals.
5) Lack of facilities upgrades (see above #3) shown by the struggle to even raise money for a training table, as an example.

Now, I see enough complaining on this site and I really hesitate to pile on without providing suggestions on how to improve. I believe it’s just not enough just to b*tch all the time without pitching in to provide a better way.

Where do we go from here other than can the coach and AD? That obviously falls on deaf ears and it’s only shouting in an echo chamber.

GO MINERS!
This post, is sadly so many of us. The years of frustration, and the pitty from others as they watch us go through this year after year. I still have hope for UTEP. It takes someone with a vision.

I thought it would be an interesting game 😂
Corona, you're cool sometimes, but now you're acting like a troll. You know Damn well what I said, don't be dumb! Go back to the comment or learn to read. " If Utep wins against W. Kentucky and M. Tennessee, which I said I didn't think would happen, then the Liberty game would be interesting" Please, check the comment, before making a jab lol

Corona, you're cool sometimes, but now you're acting like a troll. You know Damn well what I said, don't be dumb! Go back to the comment or learn to read. " If Utep wins against W. Kentucky and M. Tennessee, which I said I didn't think would happen, then the Liberty game would be interesting" Please, check the comment, before making a jab lol
You’ve been playing the fantasy “if” game for years. If UTEP does this if UTEP does that. I don’t play that stupid game. I go by what they do and shown they can do.

You speak for so many of us. I'm sure all of us are known in our circle of friends as the "utep guy". My brothers and I have been miner fans since my dad snuck us into games 40 years ago, despite none of us holding a degree from Utep. We all are original members of this site, dating back to the alliance sports days (99-01), like many others here.

Although I'm the only one in El Paso, we all spend our game days following the game either in person or online. Between the three of us, we own tens of thousands of dollars worth of UTEP memorabilia, including game worn jerseys dating back to the 60s, signed basketballs, etc. If you've ever lost an auction for a unique UTEP item from eBay, it was probably one of us sniping you. We donate money, go to away games, and every year try to hype ourselves into seeing improvement despite the slow disintegration of the program, clearly illustrated by our slow but steady fall in conference affiliation.

No bowl wins in my lifetime. No NCAA tournament wins since 1992. And I'm not embarrassed to say I would trade our on field football and basketball program for the Aggie program over the last 30 years, no question.

This year I'm starting to question my commitment. I'm tired boss.

You speak for so many of us. I'm sure all of us are known in our circle of friends as the "utep guy". My brothers and I have been miner fans since my dad snuck us into games 40 years ago, despite none of us holding a degree from Utep. We all are original members of this site, dating back to the alliance sports days (99-01), like many others here.

Although I'm the only one in El Paso, we all spend our game days following the game either in person or online. Between the three of us, we own tens of thousands of dollars worth of UTEP memorabilia, including game worn jerseys dating back to the 60s, signed basketballs, etc. If you've ever lost an auction for a unique UTEP item from eBay, it was probably one of us sniping you. We donate money, go to away games, and every year try to hype ourselves into seeing improvement despite the slow disintegration of the program, clearly illustrated by our slow but steady fall in conference affiliation.

No bowl wins in my lifetime. No NCAA tournament wins since 1992. And I'm not embarrassed to say I would trade our on field football and basketball program for the Aggie program over the last 30 years, no question.

This year I'm starting to question my commitment. I'm tired boss.
So tough to just watch us drop lower and lower down the totem poll of college sports. Watching administration that doesn't care and acting like we should be satisfied with the crap product they put on the field. Bunch of outside mediocre people just pulling paychecks at our expense. some of it is self-induced but some of it isn't our fault given all of the stereotypes and discrimination that is projected onto el paso and the borderland. Lots of the recent expansion seems "market driven". Many schools have leap frogged us just because they happen to be in major markets although no one in that market actually watches them. We live in the corporate age of sports and either you are in the club or your aren't.

Last edited:
So tough to just watch us drop lower and lower down the totem poll of college sports. Watching administration that doesn't care and acting like we should be satisfied with the crap product they put on the field. Bunch of outside mediocre people just pulling paychecks at our expense. some of it is self-induced but some of it isn't our fault given all of the stereotypes and discrimination that is projected onto el paso and the borderland. Lots of the recent expansion seems "market driven". Many schools have leap frogged us just because they happen to be in major markets although no one in that market actually watches them. We live in the corporate age of sports and either you are in the club or your aren't.
Yes and no. Sadly it comes down to the NIL right now. NMSU’s NIL gives the most to football compared to UTEP/UNM and we see that result. UNM gives players six figure NIL deals for basketball and they have that succes. Sadly paying college athletes is the way to go until it gets regulated.

You’ve been playing the fantasy “if” game for years. If UTEP does this if UTEP does that. I don’t play that stupid game. I go by what they do and shown they can do.
You're an idiot for this Corona lol You totally misunderstood the post and are off base on this to the 10th power. Get a clue brotha lol Completely missed the point and response that my post was meant for, Be Better lol

Lots of the recent expansion seems "market driven". Many schools have leap frogged us just because they happen to be in major markets although no one in that market actually watches them. We live in the corporate age of sports and either you are in the club or your aren't.
Yes, but it does not matter if people in Houston watch Rice or not. It only matters to Rice what their game attendance is. It helps media deals to add teams in major markets, but it’s more than that.

Houston gives other conference mates access to more recruits. El Paso turns out a handful of high caliber recruits and the rest are low D1 or JC talent.

It’s easier for most fans to get to Houston than it is to El Paso. A lot more flights, hotels, and another airport for visitors to use.

That’s why schools like that will be chosen over UTEP and NMSU. UTEP and NMSU will only be backfills for a conference teetering on death and they don’t want FCS move ups.

UTEP invested in the wrong sport and couldn’t even do that right.

I agree. Lots of factors outside of what the program. Is actually doing. It's like wins and losses don't matter for teams in major markets. A run of 2-3 successful years is enough to become attractive just because they are in a major market. If UTEP were in major market, our previous success would have kept us in the MWC or allowed us to go to the AAC

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

GO MINERS!
Just do what I did , find a power 5 team to root for too ….

Reactions: LTMiner61
You're an idiot for this Corona lol You totally misunderstood the post and are off base on this to the 10th power. Get a clue brotha lol Completely missed the point and response that my post was meant for, Be Better lol
I clearly understood your post regarding the "if" game and your doubts about the team winning the next two games. I'm wondering, though, why mention it if most of us already recognized this ship sunk years ago. He wasn’t going to win 8-9 games last season, or the 6 this season like you predicted. Or beat WKU and MTSu to make things “interesting” against Liberty. I'll call you out on any overly optimistic bs because its the same as trolling. Let's be more realistic and accept the situation. We suck, don’t ever expect anything else while the current coach is in charge.

Just do what I did , find a power 5 team to root for too ….
Nope, won't do it. The only way that I'll ever cheer for a P5 team is if either of my alma maters, UTEP 🤣 or SDSU, ever make it to a P5 conference. Even then, I despise the P5 conferences and the hold they have on the NCAA. Look at the recent BS with the NIT, compare the number of mid majors that receive at large bids to the NCAA Tournament each year compared to 20 to 30 years ago, look at the way the P5 tries to keep mid majors out of the College Football Playoff (kudos to UC for breaking through, too bad they didn't perform better). So yeah, if one of my alma maters breaks into the P5 I will cheer for them, since they're my alma mater. Otherwise, cheer for a P5 team? Hell no!

Last edited:
I clearly understood your post regarding the "if" game and your doubts about the team winning the next two games. I'm wondering, though, why mention it if most of us already recognized this ship sunk years ago. He wasn’t going to win 8-9 games last season, or the 6 this season like you predicted. Or beat WKU and MTSu to make things “interesting” against Liberty. I'll call you out on any overly optimistic bs because its the same as trolling. Let's be more realistic and accept the situation. We suck, don’t ever expect anything else while the current coach is in charge.
I wasn't playing the if game and the prediction at the beginning of the year wasn't 8 or 9 and the 6 I predicted at the beginning of the season is irrelevant lol Many people had them winning 6 or more. As a matter a fact they were predicted before the season to go bowling. I've said over and over this season was a huge disappointment and since the La Tech lost I've called for Dimel to get fired. Who cares that I wasn't on the Fire Dimel train as soon as you were. Don't make up a false narrative like I've been hyping this train wreck with any false hopes all year, cause you're 100% wrong. You also predicted losses that you said we'd definitely lose and Utep won. Does it change the fact that a change is needed, No, but we were all wrong at various points before and throughout the season. Corona your shit stinks too brotha, don't act like it doesn't!

I wasn't playing the if game and the prediction at the beginning of the year wasn't 8 or 9 and the 6 I predicted at the beginning of the season is irrelevant lol Many people had them winning 6 or more. As a matter a fact they were predicted before the season to go bowling. I've said over and over this season was a huge disappointment and since the La Tech lost I've called for Dimel to get fired. Who cares that I wasn't on the Fire Dimel train as soon as you were. Don't make up a false narrative like I've been hyping this train wreck with any false hopes all year, cause you're 100% wrong. You also predicted losses that you said we'd definitely lose and Utep won. Does it change the fact that a change is needed, No, but we were all wrong at various points before and throughout the season. Corona your shit stinks too brotha, don't act like it doesn't!
Ok bro. The if game is this. “If UTEP wins 13 games in 2024 they might make a NYB but I don’t think they’ll win 13 games but if they do they might make it.” That’s basically what you did. “If they win the next two games it will be interesting against Liberty but I don’t think they’ll win the next two.”

That’s the if game.

You have been playing the if game and hyping this train wreck for years. I can pull up the posts if you like.

You’re right. I did predict a loss to SHSU and I’ll keep predicting losses to shitty teams until UTEP consistently proves otherwise. That’s the difference between us. I’m realistic you’re optimistic.

Ok bro. The if game is this. “If UTEP wins 13 games in 2024 they might make a NYB but I don’t think they’ll win 13 games but if they do they might make it.” That’s basically what you did. “If they win the next two games it will be interesting against Liberty but I don’t think they’ll win the next two.”

That’s the if game.

You have been playing the if game and hyping this train wreck for years. I can pull up the posts if you like.

You’re right. I did predict a loss to SHSU and I’ll keep predicting losses to shitty teams until UTEP consistently proves otherwise. That’s the difference between us. I’m realistic you’re optimistic.
Ok anyways lol It's not like they got blown out against W. Kentucky so the verdict was still up in the air for awhile. That's not optimistic, that's a fact even though we didn't have much faith Itep would pull it out in the end, because of Dimel and what this team has showed. You would've sounded real dumb "IF" they pulled it off though. For the record I had UTEP losing and simply said if by "Miracle" they win the next 3, which I strongly believed wouldn't happen it'd make the last game interesting. You didn't have them beating FIU or SH or even being close against W. Kentucky. You were right about 1 of those games only and not by much. Everything is an if until it actually happens sorry to inform you lol. ESPN, FOX Sports, etc ... All of their predictions are "IF's" They take the info given and predict and educated "If" If Utep got blown out Sat and had no chance, then u could've said, "I told you so and Utep never had a chance, Period" then you could gloat about how you think you're always right and Realistic lol You're pessimistic not realistic and I'd rather be realistic with a touch of optimism. That's what makes a real fan!

Ok anyways lol It's not like they got blown out against W. Kentucky so the verdict was still up in the air for awhile. That's not optimistic, that's a fact even though we didn't have much faith Itep would pull it out in the end, because of Dimel and what this team has showed. You would've sounded real dumb "IF" they pulled it off though. For the record I had UTEP losing and simply said if by "Miracle" they win the next 3, which I strongly believed wouldn't happen it'd make the last game interesting. You didn't have them beating FIU or SH or even being close against W. Kentucky. You were right about 1 of those games only and not by much. Everything is an if until it actually happens sorry to inform you lol. ESPN, FOX Sports, etc ... All of their predictions are "IF's" They take the info given and predict and educated "If" If Utep got blown out Sat and had no chance, then u could've said, "I told you so and Utep never had a chance, Period" then you could gloat about how you think you're always right and Realistic lol You're pessimistic not realistic and I'd rather be realistic with a touch of optimism. That's what makes a real fan!
You right man you got me there. I had them losing to WKU by 10 and they lost by 8. I had them losing to WKU to crush that stupid fantasy of making things interesting with Liberty, and they did. I’m so f*cking pessimistic! If only I could find the middle line.

Reactions: EPUTEP

GO MINERS!
In my opinion, Nord started with shared title but then hit the wall. Price appeared to have things changed because at his departure UTEP was average over 30-35k per game and did go to three bowls (but lost all three including a heartbreaker to Colorado).

Kugler came in and told anyone within ear shot of his disgust for Price and said he “left a dumpster fire” and totally dismantled any gains made and in Kugleresque fashion, alienated fans as well.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
You right man you got me there. I had them losing to WKU by 10 and they lost by 8. I had them losing to WKU to crush that stupid fantasy of making things interesting with Liberty, and they did. I’m so f*cking pessimistic! If only I could find the middle line.
Lol you're a riot sometimes Corona 😆 Even when we agree on stuff you find a way to disagree. "You got a F'n dart in your neck man" "You're crazy man, I like you, but you're crazy" That's from Old School in case you didn't get the reference.

As the infamous line goes.....Corona, you don't know anything about football!!!🤣

Reactions: JCorona
Some have recommended a president who cares about sports too, but its not fair to academics.

Some have recommended coaching expectations or not keeping coaches so long, but we cant afford it.

Some have recommended raising the student athletic fee, but it's not fair to the students.

Some have suggested donate more, but it's not fair to the donors.

Some have recommended boycotting, but it's not fair to the athletes.

Some have recommended changing allegiance or stop donations, but it's not fair to many of the fans or the alumni.

A lot of things can be done, but nothing ever happens. There is no trust. There is no expectation. There is no pressure. There is no plan. Only excuses. Nobody at UTEP cares and that trickles down to the fan base.

Last edited:
I don't another coach who wants

A. Rebuild based on the model of some mid major or coach bro love. (Kugler Bailiff bromance)

B. A major FBS "Traveling Wilbury" with major mileage who has "highly endorse" list from old FBS head coaches.
B.1. I.E. Kill, O'Hara & Peveto. Wouldn't surprise me if O'Hara applies if Dimel is let go at the conclusion of the season. NMSU's Coach Kill is thanking Achilles for giving him Diego Pavia just like UTEP landed Aaron Jones. Kill admitted a few days ago its all Pavia. These type of players come once every twenty years for mid majors. Will the Kill love survive when Pavia is gone? Probably not. Kugler did not survive when AJ left.

C. Charismatic, on the sly, "wink wink", you know what I mean? I've been doing this a long time under all these "legendary" coach, blah, blah, blah (Bailey & Dimel)

D. Congressional politician type coach who know what to say and when. (Price)

E. Players love him but the resume is limited.
E.1. I.E-Nord worked under Schnellenberger at Louisville and OU but did not have OC overall duties. Don't get me wrong, he helped Schnellenberger lift Louisville to major FBS levels years ago, but he had no OC duty there, at OU nor Pitt. He was friends with Bailey and both did a Resurrection Walk straight to far west Texas. It paid off, for a short time. However, Stull did not want Nord, the players did. Stull gave in and got burned in the end.

F. Outdate schemes, stubborn but insist they know how to run a FBS program and their way is the only right way and make excuses as losses mount.
F.1. Lee, Bailey, Price, Kugler, Dimel. Lee ran the option, bone and whatever did not require passing. Bailey had one of UTEP's most bruising backs within the past twenty five years in Paul Smith and a pretty good D. Bailey squandered the talent and opportunities. Price delivered what fans hoped was redemption. It was good for two years. By year seven (God, that felt like eternity), he got some good coordinators but it was too late. For his offensive schemes, fans were predicting what he would run on each down. The fans were right most of the time and so was the opposing D. Things went downhill fast after Vittatoe left. Kugler was a Stull player and Stull was a good head coach. Fans thought that is what would be seen on the field with some of that pugnacious NFL attitude. Boy, were we wrong. Kugler was literally give an open check book to recruit all over and he did. He also allegedly and unsubstantiated, had a lot of fun on the road too. Dimel got booted for running an non effective offense at KSU. Snyder called UTEP and brought his circus to El Paso; Resurrection Walk II.

My hope, please get the best coach for the job. Not the hottest sensation but with notches on the belt and W's on the resume and can recruit Texas. Do not get one "who can rebuild and has years of experience". In other words, a Bailey, Nord, Dimel, Peveto, OHara etc. UTEP has passed on some real bonafide gems over the past thirty years. This needs to change.

I don't another coach who wants

A. Rebuild based on the model of some mid major or coach bro love. (Kugler Bailiff bromance)

B. A major FBS "Traveling Wilbury" with major mileage who has "highly endorse" list from old FBS head coaches.
B.1. I.E. Kill, O'Hara & Peveto. Wouldn't surprise me if O'Hara applies if Dimel is let go at the conclusion of the season. NMSU's Coach Kill is thanking Achilles for giving him Diego Pavia just like UTEP landed Aaron Jones. Kill admitted a few days ago its all Pavia. These type of players come once every twenty years for mid majors. Will the Kill love survive when Pavia is gone? Probably not. Kugler did not survive when AJ left.

C. Charismatic, on the sly, "wink wink", you know what I mean? I've been doing this a long time under all these "legendary" coach, blah, blah, blah (Bailey & Dimel)

D. Congressional politician type coach who know what to say and when. (Price)

E. Players love him but the resume is limited.
E.1. I.E-Nord worked under Schnellenberger at Louisville and OU but did not have OC overall duties. Don't get me wrong, he helped Schnellenberger lift Louisville to major FBS levels years ago, but he had no OC duty there, at OU nor Pitt. He was friends with Bailey and both did a Resurrection Walk straight to far west Texas. It paid off, for a short time. However, Stull did not want Nord, the players did. Stull gave in and got burned in the end.

F. Outdate schemes, stubborn but insist they know how to run a FBS program and their way is the only right way and make excuses as losses mount.
F.1. Lee, Bailey, Price, Kugler, Dimel. Lee ran the option, bone and whatever did not require passing. Bailey had one of UTEP's most bruising backs within the past twenty five years in Paul Smith and a pretty good D. Bailey squandered the talent and opportunities. Price delivered what fans hoped was redemption. It was good for two years. By year seven (God, that felt like eternity), he got some good coordinators but it was too late. For his offensive schemes, fans were predicting what he would run on each down. The fans were right most of the time and so was the opposing D. Things went downhill fast after Vittatoe left. Kugler was a Stull player and Stull was a good head coach. Fans thought that is what would be seen on the field with some of that pugnacious NFL attitude. Boy, were we wrong. Kugler was literally give an open check book to recruit all over and he did. He also allegedly and unsubstantiated, had a lot of fun on the road too. Dimel got booted for running an non effective offense at KSU. Snyder called UTEP and brought his circus to El Paso; Resurrection Walk II.

My hope, please get the best coach for the job. Not the hottest sensation but with notches on the belt and W's on the resume and can recruit Texas. Do not get one "who can rebuild and has years of experience". In other words, a Bailey, Nord, Dimel, Peveto, OHara etc. UTEP has passed on some real bonafide gems over the past thirty years. This needs to change.
2step, what in the heck are you talking about? I’m just shaking my head here. While he has proven to be a grinder, Pavia is in no way a ‘once every 20 years for G5 programs’ kind of player. He has a 2:1 TD to interception ratio in conference play, his completion rate is just over 56% during his 2 years ant NMSU, and he will be fortunate to reach 4000 yards passing in his two years. His 1200 yards rushing is impressive but in no way puts him in the category you put him in.

For some reason you refuse to acknowledge Kill’s direct influence in NMSU’s rise. You give Pavia wayyy too much credit and Kill wayyy too little credit.

I stopped reading after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT