ADVERTISEMENT

A few minutes until tipoff

Ha.

i-was-like-whatever-bitches-and-the-bitches-whatevered-5369053.png

A few not bad looking women on the screen insaw though.... that has to count for a few extra seats

Actually no, 6000 sounds about right. Radio can't match actually being there

20 acres for sale with oil mineral rights near the levee in Canutillo, TX. Alfalfa grows so green there that there are offers for $50,000 an acre. 4,000 sq ft home with Italian marble floors and a gold toilet bath with built in wifi for personal time. $200,000. What da say partner?

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The DHC appears empty. Wow.
Wow!! That is terrible.

I don't mean the photo, which is a result of Herculean mismanagement by the athletic department, but the fact that I have season tickets and haven't been to one game this year. Completely forgot about this one. That would be unimaginable just a couple years ago. Miner athletics has always been big part of my life, since I was a small child growing up in El Paso, through attending the university, to my adult life.

This sad and sobering revelation is the ultimate testament to how far we have fallen. Unfortunately, I'm not alone in feeling this way. Many former diehard supporters has expressed the same sentiments.

New AD has a monumental task.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
AD has a monumental task?

Football bar is low...if there is a bar left. Dimel just had to pull 2 or 3 wins and that will be success.

Basketball is a slightly different story. The bar is much higher so the next coach has to rebuild from scratch. The fan base in El Paso is divided between country club Floyd supporters and the other side of regular season ticket holders, students, alums out of town and hard core fans. Winning solves most ills and can be reunited quickly with a solid Billy Clyde type hire.

If UTEP plays it safe like they did with Dimel and hires a Doc Sadler type coach, UTEP will suffer deep damage that will officially bury glory road. UTEP can't afford to go safe on this one. Hire the hot assistant and get butts back in the DHC. This is not football.

Football bar is low...if there is a bar left. Dimel just had to pull 2 or 3 wins and that will be success.

Basketball is a slightly different story. The bar is much higher so the next coach has to rebuild from scratch. The fan base in El Paso is divided between country club Floyd supporters and the other side of regular season ticket holders, students, alums out of town and hard core fans. Winning solves most ills and can be reunited quickly with a solid Billy Clyde type hire.

If UTEP plays it safe like they did with Dimel and hires a Doc Sadler type coach, UTEP will suffer deep damage that will officially bury glory road. UTEP can't afford to go safe on this one. Hire the hot assistant and get butts back in the DHC. This is not football.
The bar may be low for you, but some semblance of competence will have to shown for me, and many others like me, to get back involved. This "low bar" mentality is the root of the problem. See Natalicio's "more with less" philosophy.

Two or three wins in football won't get it done. Getting another Billy Clyde is easier said than done.

So yes, monumental task for the new AD.

I don't think people realize how hard a basketball rebuild will be. It will me much harder than the football rebuild.

Last edited:
I don't think people realize how hard a basketball rebuild will be. It will me much harder than the football rebuild.

You can't be serious? It literally took Billy Gillispie 1 recruiting class to rebuild the basketball program. If you get 2 or 3 good players, you have a pretty solid team. 2 or 3 good players don't get you anything on a football team.

UTEP needs the right coaching hire to turn it around. Doesn't matter if it takes 2 or 3 years, as long as it's faster than 8 years.

You can't be serious? It literally took Billy Gillispie 1 recruiting class to rebuild the basketball program. If you get 2 or 3 good players, you have a pretty solid team. 2 or 3 good players don't get you anything on a football team.

UTEP needs the right coaching hire to turn it around. Doesn't matter if it takes 2 or 3 years, as long as it's faster than 8 years.

Those were different times. In the last five years are the top basketball schools have been consolidated in ten conferences. This has relegatedf c-usa and the other twenty something conferences to one bid league's. The at large bid is a thing of the past. To build a consistent tournament team will be aa monumental effort. Whatever tradition we had is dead, the don is ok but nothing special. El paso is not in an area loaded with top recruits. Those are just some of the issues.

I agree with you on those points, but it shouldn't take longer than football. Other mid major teams have turned it around quickly. Look at Eric Musselman at Nevada, the season before he took over (2014-15), they were 9-22. His first season (15-16), Nevada went 24-14 and won the CBI. Last year, they won 28 games, the MWC regular season and conference tournament championships, along with an NCAA appearance. This year, they've been in and around the Top 25.

Results like this are realistic.

You don’t have to look too far for examples of programs being rebuilt in under two years. UTSA and UNT are on the rise with their recent hc hires. UTSA doesn’t have facilities much better than Montwood High School.

North Texas didn’t even qualify for the CUSA tournament last season finishing 6-22 with an RPI of 341. Half a season later after hiring a new coach they are 9-6 tied for 1st in CUSA at 2-0 and an RPI of 141.

It’s crazy to assume something similar won’t happen here.

I don't think Senter has a monumental task here. Jim Senter fired the Citadel's volleyball coach a few months ago after 3 straight losing seasons. Boboso Stull would have signed that coach to a 5 years extension at UTEP. Senter obviously expects results from his coaches in a short amount of time. Senter is going to change the culture in athletics right away because he raises the expectations bar high for UTEP coaches. We are going to start seeing improvements in all of our athletic programs very quickly because coaches know there will be consequences for performing below average, instead of receiving contract extensions.

utep basketball has a good core to build around... just getting some people to fill in..... mcgee, gilyard, smith, and wade is a great start.... lets just see if any of them stay

The bar may be low for you, but some semblance of competence will have to shown for me, and many others like me, to get back involved. This "low bar" mentality is the root of the problem. See Natalicio's "more with less" philosophy.

Two or three wins in football won't get it done. Getting another Billy Clyde is easier said than done.

So yes, monumental task for the new AD.
Sorry. Just trying to be "cheeky". I agree with your post.

I agree with you on those points, but it shouldn't take longer than football. Other mid major teams have turned it around quickly. Look at Eric Musselman at Nevada, the season before he took over (2014-15), they were 9-22. His first season (15-16), Nevada went 24-14 and won the CBI. Last year, they won 28 games, the MWC regular season and conference tournament championships, along with an NCAA appearance. This year, they've been in and around the Top 25.

Results like this are realistic.
Sounds like Barbee's trajectory at UTEP before leaving. Hopefully we can capture that or better with our next coach.

Reactions: Dmanminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT