ADVERTISEMENT

Plays that Define the Season

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
1) A foul on a dunk attempt by Elijah Jones just before half. Jones takes a foul and is "coached" for not being in position. Reality, 150 pound Baylor Hebb gets faked out by a 6-8 player on a simple head fake, instead of stopping the ball 15 feet out, he allows a clear path to the rim, where Jones has to try and protect. No repercussions for Hebb for actually being at fault here. Happens all the time. Just follow Hebb on Defense, he gets beat and another guy has to bail him out with a foul.

2) Tied 65-65, Solomon gets a steal, decides to dribble all the way down (As he is allowed to do all season), and throws a bad pass, Turnover (As he has done all season). They hit a 3. Next position, for who knows what reason, Solomon gets the ball low and attempts a half-hearted shot and gets blocked (As has happened all season), they hit a bucket, we're down 5 and the game is essentially over.

3) Hardy gets fouled for an and-1, misses (as usual), McHenry gets fouled, hits his FT, we give up a point in this sequence.

4) Dos Anjos hits a three every few games, but when he misses, its not even close, literally its a brick each time (No down and came out, or just missed, its feat or famine). He's made 8 threes all year out of 29, so out of the 21 misses, I would venture 15-17 of those had no chance of going in, none. He's a veteran and he still gets spooked when shooting, then why is he playing D1 ball?

Why don't coaches demand Solomon give the ball to a guard or he sits, why do they allow this all season. When Solomon has the ball, there is a good chance he will turn it over (After 25 games, its apparent), so why is this even allowed. Its like Walden feeding a RB who fumbles twice each game (he just sits until he can figure his S**t out)

Hebb playing in meaningful minutes, someone explain that to me. Yes, protect fouls on other guys, but Hebb cost you points and a foul on a guy who is contributing so its a minus when he's on the floor. If he actually could hit a shot, that's one thing, but he does nothing offensively.

Simple rules of thumb for higher level amateur sports:

1. Never guarantee playing time.
2. Play the best players.
3. If 2 players are equal and one needs to play over the other, play the younger player.

NIL and coaching style are messing up UTEP right now

Reactions: MinerManiac
1) A foul on a dunk attempt by Elijah Jones just before half. Jones takes a foul and is "coached" for not being in position. Reality, 150 pound Baylor Hebb gets faked out by a 6-8 player on a simple head fake, instead of stopping the ball 15 feet out, he allows a clear path to the rim, where Jones has to try and protect. No repercussions for Hebb for actually being at fault here. Happens all the time. Just follow Hebb on Defense, he gets beat and another guy has to bail him out with a foul.

2) Tied 65-65, Solomon gets a steal, decides to dribble all the way down (As he is allowed to do all season), and throws a bad pass, Turnover (As he has done all season). They hit a 3. Next position, for who knows what reason, Solomon gets the ball low and attempts a half-hearted shot and gets blocked (As has happened all season), they hit a bucket, we're down 5 and the game is essentially over.

3) Hardy gets fouled for an and-1, misses (as usual), McHenry gets fouled, hits his FT, we give up a point in this sequence.

4) Dos Anjos hits a three every few games, but when he misses, its not even close, literally its a brick each time (No down and came out, or just missed, its feat or famine). He's made 8 threes all year out of 29, so out of the 21 misses, I would venture 15-17 of those had no chance of going in, none. He's a veteran and he still gets spooked when shooting, then why is he playing D1 ball?

Why don't coaches demand Solomon give the ball to a guard or he sits, why do they allow this all season. When Solomon has the ball, there is a good chance he will turn it over (After 25 games, its apparent), so why is this even allowed. Its like Walden feeding a RB who fumbles twice each game (he just sits until he can figure his S**t out)

Hebb playing in meaningful minutes, someone explain that to me. Yes, protect fouls on other guys, but Hebb cost you points and a foul on a guy who is contributing so its a minus when he's on the floor. If he actually could hit a shot, that's one thing, but he does nothing offensively.
A number of excellent points, TD. A few more points:

The only reason that I can see for not playing Jones more is a concern that Jones will have some growing pains and make freshman mistakes. But as you pointed out the senior Solomon, who gets a boat load of minutes, makes a ton of mistakes (what the hell was he doing shooting a 3 last night?) and is less talented than Jones. Play the kid!

There have been a few times this season (not many, but a few) when Dos Anjos has made a positive contribution. In each of those times he was playing near the basket. I looked up the stats, and Dos Anjos is shooting less than 28% from 3, yet almost 67% inside the arc. Dude is 6'8', fairly athletic, and shoots much better inside than out - why the hell doesn't Golding tell him to stop shooting 3s and get his ass inside?

Can we have someone work with Kalu on his game? He obviously spends time in the weight room, how about more time on the court? A few games ago he made a little jump hook, and it was the first time in my recollection (Train's too) that he made a shot other than a dunk or a layup. When Onyema was a freshman his only offensive skill was dunking, but he improved his skills every season, and would have been far and away our best big man had he stayed. Kalu has all of the physical tools but hasn't put in the work, and doesn't appear to have received the proper coaching, to become a good basketball player.

A number of excellent points, TD. A few more points:

The only reason that I can see for not playing Jones more is a concern that Jones will have some growing pains and make freshman mistakes. But as you pointed out the senior Solomon, who gets a boat load of minutes, makes a ton of mistakes (what the hell was he doing shooting a 3 last night?) and is less talented than Jones. Play the kid!

There have been a few times this season (not many, but a few) when Dos Anjos has made a positive contribution. In each of those times he was playing near the basket. I looked up the stats, and Dos Anjos is shooting less than 28% from 3, yet almost 67% inside the arc. Dude is 6'8', fairly athletic, and shoots much better inside than out - why the hell doesn't Golding tell him to stop shooting 3s and get his ass inside?

Can we have someone work with Kalu on his game? He obviously spends time in the weight room, how about more time on the court? A few games ago he made a little jump hook, and it was the first time in my recollection (Train's too) that he made a shot other than a dunk or a layup. When Onyema was a freshman his only offensive skill was dunking, but he improved his skills every season, and would have been far and away our best big man had he stayed. Kalu has all of the physical tools but hasn't put in the work, and doesn't appear to have received the proper coaching, to become a good basketball player.
To piggyback off of your Kalu statements, he is a physical specimen but sure as hell doesn’t play like one. It amazes me how many times he collects the ball under the rim and is “about” to go up with it only to be stripped. His size must be all for show because he has the weakest fvckn hands. Seems to happen minimum 4-5 times a game where he doesn’t even get a shot off. He should be bullying people around in the paint yet it’s the other way around. If he’s untouched he throws down some thunderous dunks, but the slightest bit of contact leads to empty hands and if he does get the foul call, an empty possession at least half the time.

Hebb is not mid major material.

NIL has been 30 years in the making since O’Bannon from UCLA said “F this! Pay me!”. Fans agreed and now mid majors fans are like “what the?!”. It is what it is.

This year reminds me of Rab’s final year. No dancers will sleep with Golding but I’m waiting for a mutiny.

• Haha
Reactions: Lil_Train
To piggyback off of your Kalu statements, he is a physical specimen but sure as hell doesn’t play like one. It amazes me how many times he collects the ball under the rim and is “about” to go up with it only to be stripped. His size must be all for show because he has the weakest fvckn hands. Seems to happen minimum 4-5 times a game where he doesn’t even get a shot off. He should be bullying people around in the paint yet it’s the other way around. If he’s untouched he throws down some thunderous dunks, but the slightest bit of contact leads to empty hands and if he does get the foul call, an empty possession at least half the time.
Agree. IMO, being a big man with bad hands is a tough flaw to overcome. Antonio Davis also had poor hands as well (not as bad as Kalu). Maybe it comes partially from coming from a non-basketball background. Kalu was a wrestler (Davis was a swimmer). Overall, Kalu is an impressive physical specimen, but he lacks any offensive basketball skills. I do think he works at it, and has improved some, but his climb is extremely high with where he started. He's a guy that could have really used a redshirt year, just like Davis.

Agree. IMO, being a big man with bad hands is a tough flaw to overcome. Antonio Davis also had poor hands as well (not as bad as Kalu). Maybe it comes partially from coming from a non-basketball background. Kalu was a wrestler (Davis was a swimmer). Overall, Kalu is an impressive physical specimen, but he lacks any offensive basketball skills. I do think he works at it, and has improved some, but his climb is extremely high with where he started. He's a guy that could have really used a redshirt year, just like Davis.
Yeah, I’m probably being unjust in my criticism of him, however it annoys the hell out of me. “If” he had skills he could be som dominant out there. But he doesn’t. And he won’t.

Yeah, I’m probably being unjust in my criticism of him, however it annoys the hell out of me. “If” he had skills he could be som dominant out there. But he doesn’t. And he won’t.
I think your criticism is fair, and goes back to Golding not being able to recruit that position. Ideally, Kalu shouldn't be forced to play extended minutes, but what other options does Golding have? Playing Solomon at the 5 (or really anywhere) has been a disaster. Hamilton? Don't even want to go there.

Hebb is not mid major material.

NIL has been 30 years in the making since O’Bannon from UCLA said “F this! Pay me!”. Fans agreed and now mid majors fans are like “what the?!”. It is what it is.

This year reminds me of Rab’s final year. No dancers will sleep with Golding but I’m waiting for a mutiny.
It’s wild to me that anyone thought otherwise. Dude was averaging 2 ppg in his collegiate career. What did people honestly expect. That’s why i always say we are who we are. Don’t expect anything else.

It’s wild to me that anyone thought otherwise. Dude was averaging 2 ppg in his collegiate career. What did people honestly expect. That’s why i always say we are who we are. Don’t expect anything else.
Not only that, he was identified by Golding as a shooter…even though he was 32.5% from deep for his career. That is not a shooter. That is below average.

Not only that, he was identified by Golding as a shooter…even though he was 32.5% from deep for his career. That is not a shooter. That is below average.
The eternal optimist in me was hoping Hebb would be another find like OFIII, who averaged 2.4 points and 1.7 rebounds in 8.1 minutes per game at GMU. Looks like I was a bit unrealistic at this point 😀

Well done Tenacious! For the second point, I agree that the Solomon sequence of errors was the turning point. I don’t know what’s wrong with him. I hate to say this, but it’s got me wondering if he’s trying to throw games on purpose ala McKenzie Moore, Jalen Ragland, and can’t remember the other guard. He was not this bad in prior years so I’m concerned. Golding has to do the right thing and bench him. He is causing the team too many losses.

Reactions: axingfools1
Well done Tenacious! For the second point, I agree that the Solomon sequence of errors was the turning point. I don’t know what’s wrong with him. I hate to say this, but it’s got me wondering if he’s trying to throw games on purpose ala McKenzie Moore, Jalen Ragland, and can’t remember the other guard. He was not this bad in prior years so I’m concerned. Golding has to do the right thing and bench him. He is causing the team too many losses.
Yep give all his minutes to Jones

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT