ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Roster

Why would Frazier leave ?
Money, more exposure, better competition.

I dont see Frazier as I high level P4 player ala Williams, but he would be a very experienced team player that plays hard and can contribute on both sides of the ball. I can see him in the MWC, ACC or Big East doing well. I hope he stays. Hes a really good foundation piece and he would be a definite leader next season.

So I love it of town and only have you guys — does Utep basketball have a nil in place or no and if so does anyone know figures money wise ?

So I love it of town and only have you guys — does Utep basketball have a nil in place or no and if so does anyone know figures money wise ?
Yes, there is a NIL for hoops. This year it was around ~ $300 - 350K, from what I heard.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
It’s gonna be interesting to see if we’re able to keep any of the freshmen or if they chase the money.
We are gonna need a coach that will generate interest and money right off the bat. Then that coach needs to be able to recruit and win almost right away to build trust, momentum and some semblance of retention. It's gonna be virtually impossible for UTEP MBB to get out of the hole now.

It’s gonna be interesting to see if we’re able to keep any of the freshmen or if they chase the money.
There is crazy money being thrown around, but I wonder how much of a market there will be for those guys. Perhaps DTJ as a Junior, but I'm not sure about either Horton or Jones. Plus, I would think UTEP NIL could come up with some type of offer.

Reactions: JCorona
We are gonna need a coach that will generate interest and money right off the bat. Then that coach needs to be able to recruit and win almost right away to build trust, momentum and some semblance of retention. It's gonna be virtually impossible for UTEP MBB to get out of the hole now.
Look at LaTech and even NMSU as a model. LAT just needed to add two difference maker players to what they had. You would think Golding would be able to do that, but that is not what happened. Then again, he has a chance to make it all right again this week. 😉

Last edited:
We are smaller than some of the other NIL collectives, but the bigger issue is our recruits not panning out. We have a larger NIL collective than Indiana State (they’re trying to reach 300k) but they have been smart with the money and recruited the correct players and now they’re on the bubble as a mid major while also being a top team in a more difficult conference.

We could have a $5 million NIL budget and it won’t matter if we get the wrong players and have the wrong coaching. Just look at A&M in football

Look at LaTech and even NMSU as a model. LAT just needed to add two difference maker players to what they had. You would think Golding would be able to do that, but that is not what happened. Then again, he has a chance to make it all right again this week. 😉
We saw since season 1 when all he had to do was add one key piece. Even if he wins 6 in a row idk if that moves the needle for me. Sure he gets an extension and he ended the NCAAT drought. Man I miss those good teams with 24+ wins and regular season titles. We finished the regular season tied with NMSU. I can’t get that taste out of my mouth…

He's got money, reputation and connections. I wonder if this rumor has any kind of time line?
I wonder what Floyd thinks of Golding?

Is Foster still coaching anywhere? I don't remember seeing him or Davis at the unveiling of the statue.

Heard that an ex UTEP coach has committed to forging an NIL program that produces a mil per year to add to whatever Steve Haskins is in charge of. Pretty good source but not an announced thing...yet.

It'd be cool if this was true, but it seems like such a long shot. Floyd is the only name who kind of makes sense... unless it's a football coach (Price), but why would he fund hoops.

It'd be cool if this was true, but it seems like such a long shot. Floyd is the only name who kind of makes sense... unless it's a football coach (Price), but why would he fund hoops.
I know Doc Sadler is extremely fond of El Paso and UTEP. He stopped me in Frisco during the tourney to talk when he saw my UTEP gear a few years ago. Super guy! Not saying he's the guy, but I guess he could be.

Assuming Vegas meant ex head coach, it could only be Floyd.

Terry's currently employed by Texas. Barbee's currently employed by CMU. Sadler's currently employed by Kansas. Gillispie's currently employed by Tarleton. Can't see their schools allowing them to moonlight for another school.

Rabadeuax's dead. Haskins dead. Harold Davis I'm pretty sure is dead.

Now, ex-assistant coach? How did G. Ray Johnson's post-coaching career turn out?

Camper ended up taking most of the starts from Solomon and Jones was placed into oblivion.

Next year's roster so far
Camper
Terrell
Horton
Hebb
Frazier
Jones
Kalu
Hamilton
Mbengue

Recruits: Thomas and Moreno
Besides the freshmen, one of the heartening things from this run for next year is that Camper seems to finally be becoming the scorer we thought he would be to start the season. Maybe just took him a while to adjust to D1.

Besides the freshmen, one of the heartening things from this run for next year is that Camper seems to finally be becoming the scorer we thought he would be to start the season. Maybe just took him a while to adjust to D1.
I think he implemented more of a mid range game as of late, rather than just attempting 3s and monster dunks. Which has actually made him more of a 3 point threat too.

Camper ended up taking most of the starts from Solomon and Jones was placed into oblivion.

Next year's roster so far
Camper
Terrell
Horton
Hebb
Frazier
Jones
Kalu
Hamilton
Mbengue

Recruits: Thomas and Moreno
We are going on almost 6 weeks now with NOTHING! It's ridiculous.

“ Bynum was a consensus top-100 player and four-star prospect coming out of Simeon High School in Chicago, Illinois in 2021.

He also was ranked No. 73 by 247Sports, No. 73 by ESPN and No. 96 by Rivals as well as being labeled as the 22nd-best shooting guard by 247Sports and 17th-ranked shooting guard in the nation by Rivals and ESPN. The Chicago-native was the No. 3-ranked prospect in Illinois by ESPN and 247Sports.
Since his arrival at DePaul, things never seemed to click for Bynum who last played on Jan. 4 against Butler.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT