ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Golding and Recruiting

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
A lot has been made of Coach Golding and his recruiting issues since he was selected as our head basketball coach. The prevailing theory as to why he was able to build a winner from scratch at Abilene Christian, but has failed to bring in enough talent to UTEP, is that ACU competes in a lower rated conference (the Southland) than CUSA, so he didn't have to bring in any decent talent. I don't buy this idea at all. I personally believe that Golding's 2018-19 (27-7 record) and 2020-21 (24-5) ACU teams were better than either of his UTEP teams, and his 2019-20 team (20-11) was certainly better than at least last year's UTEP team. If I'm correct (and I'm confident that I am), since all of those teams were Joe Golding coached teams, it means that his later ACU teams were more talented than his UTEP teams. This begs the question: why was he able to bring in better talent to ACU than he's been able to bring into UTEP, when expectations are that it should be the other way around? I have two theories:

1. Golding's ACU teams were built before the current transfer rules were in place, and before the NIL. It might be that Golding and his ACU staff were adept at finding high school diamonds in the rough and developing them into good players during their time at ACU. With the current transfer rules, and the lure of NIL money, this is no longer a viable strategy for mid major coaches to build teams, and Golding and his staff have been unable to adapt to the transfer portal; or

2. Golding had a better staff at ACU, at least when it comes to recruiting.

Now if Wilson was to make the colossal mistake of naming me as UTEP's AD tomorrow, Golding would have to compete for a conference championship this year in order to keep his job. But the AD position still belongs to Senter, who is much more forgiving than I would be, so it's likely that Golding will return next year. That being the case, I see one solution to Golding's recruiting woes: hire new assistant coaches, coaches who are adept at recruiting the transfer portal. Any coach in today's game who can't successfully navigate the portal to bring in talent is doomed to fail.

Last edited:
1. Golding's ACU teams were built before the current transfer rules were in place, and before the NIL. It might be that Golding and his ACU staff were adept at finding high school diamonds in the rough and developing them into good players during their time at ACU.
Spot on. Yes, we cannot really take into consideration what any coach did prior to the portal and NIL, as far as roster building goes. It is dumb for schools like UTEP to recruit a lot of high school players, because they will probably leave if they start turning out well.

Bronzeing hasn’t even recruited 1 good high school player. Z was a Terry recruit who decided to stay and then leave when he got good.

I am in no way offering a counter to maniac, he's follows basketball closely and is a good egg.

However, I feel there should be more patience with Golding. He did underperform last year but as a national audience learned in March, CUSA was tough last year. He kept saying that during his post game radio interviews "this is a tough league" and he was right. But Miner basketball fans don't want excuses, that's for the football coach.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I am in no way offering a counter to maniac, he's follows basketball closely and is a good egg.

However, I feel there should be more patience with Golding. He did underperform last year but as a national audience learned in March, CUSA was tough last year. He kept saying that during his post game radio interviews "this is a tough league" and he was right. But Miner basketball fans don't want excuses, that's for the football coach.
Coach Golding coaches more like Don Haskins than any other coach since the Bear IMNSHO. HOWEVER, Haskins always had highly recruited, talented players. Golding has not gone after those types of players. He's gotten middling talent and middling results so far. Doesn't mean he can't coach them up, but we still haven't seen it. I think he's a better basketball coach than Dimel is a football coach.

However, I feel there should be more patience with Golding. He did underperform last year but as a national audience learned in March, CUSA was tough last year.
You won’t answer these but, how many years does he get? What should he be able to accomplish? If CUSA is so tough, how come the school with the top basketball budget in the conference hasn’t been close to the NCAA tournament in over a decade? How did FAU make the Final 4 with a coach making half of what Bronzeing makes?

Let’s see what Hooten does at NMSU this year. He turned over his entire roster. Since you have always claimed superiority over NMSU, the Miners should go 2-0 against them. Shouldn’t they?

This is my question:

Who is Golding’s mentor? What’s his coaching tree/network? This matters when you’re competing for talented castoffs from bigger programs. See Barbee.

One thing’s for sure: that win over Shaka made him money. And Shaka is a proven post-season choker.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

However, I feel there should be more patience with Golding. He did underperform last year but as a national audience learned in March, CUSA was tough last year. He kept saying that during his post game radio interviews "this is a tough league" and he was right. But Miner basketball fans don't want excuses, that's for the football coach
I am not buying into that excuse. When you finish 10th out of 11 teams in CUSA and only won 3 more conference games than the worst team in CUSA, you flat out sucked.

This is my question:

Who is Golding’s mentor? What’s his coaching tree/network? This matters when you’re competing for talented castoffs from bigger programs. See Barbee.

One thing’s for sure: that win over Shaka made him money. And Shaka is a proven post-season choker.
Steve Shields who is from the Porter Moser tree (now at OU) who played and followed as an assistant under Tony Barone (Moser played at Creighton late 80's) and as we all know JG worked alongside Beard.

Last edited:
Both of his coaches say he's one of the best they've ever seen. That's what you would expect his coaches to say but still, Peveto coached in the SEC for countless years. He should know a thing or two about linebackers.

Both of his coaches say he's one of the best they've ever seen. That's what you would expect his coaches to say but still, Peveto coached in the SEC for countless years. He should know a thing or two about linebackers.
What does this have to do with basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT