College Football Magazines are out

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
I just finished readind Ahtlons

They have
Sean Kuglar on Hot Seat #9
Will Hernandez is 3rd team All American
He is also number 2 or 3 for players to watch or something like that. I forgot.

They also predict Utep to finish 2nd to last in the west divison.

Anyone read any of the others?

Exactly what I expected. Until this team earns respect they aren't going to get any. This season and the Kugler era will be decided by the four game stretch in September after the OU game. The toughest game is at Army. They embarrassed us last year, but in kugler's fifth year that has to be a game they win. Last year unt went to west point and won. Miner have to go at least 3-1 in that four game stretch or you can start throwing dirt on the Kugler era.

There aren't a lot of silver linings going into the year. There are a few things that give me hope. Kugler has his best qb since he's been at UTEP. Metz is the most productive signal caller since Trevor vittatoe. Tom Mason is a very good defensive mind and has a lot of talent. The secondary is the best I can remember at UTEP. They have some young guys upfront if they can stay healthy will really improve the pass rush. Last year was the first year tom mason has ever been the defensive coordinator for a team that didn't run the air raid. Last year the defense was playing like the offense would score 50 points. They gave up a lot of yards but usually tightened up in the red zone. A perfect example is the old dominion game. It felt like old dominion crushed us but we only lost by ten. Tom Mason is a smart guy he will make adjustments. I'm cautiously optimistic the defense will be pretty good.

This year feels a lot like 2004. Gary Nord had been here four years won the only conference championship UTEP has won in the last fifty years. After the 2003 season the majority of UTEP fans including myself wanted him fired. Nord always says he had a five year plan he never got to see year five. Price came in and reaped the benefits and after nords players left he couldn't win with his own. Through the years there have been many discussions about where the football program would be if Nord got his fifth year. Now we get to see history repeat itself this time the coach gets his fifth year. There are similarities. Both Nord and Kugler are great talent evaluator both could find under the radar talent. Hopefully, Kugler wins this year and rewards Still for his confidence. If this is a losing season it will catastrophic. It will mean starting over with a new coach, and because of the issues UTEP has this is not a quick fix. Worse would be the fact UTSA and UNT would have passed us by. In 2004 we were better than SMU and Houston. In the next eight years we slid and oth surpassed us. Now to be a position where we could be passed by UTSA and UNT is beyond sickening. Hopefully, Kugler has built something most of can't see right now and it all comes to fruition this year.

Unless coach K changes his offense the Miners will not win more than three games. A downright embarrassment to be in battles with UNT and UTSA.

Unless coach K changes his offense the Miners will not win more than three games. A downright embarrassment to be in battles with UNT and UTSA.

I don't know why you guys dismiss UNT and UTSA as competitors. They have good coaches and direct access to much deeper local recruiting pools.

My only problem with them is UTSA is new to D1 and UNT has been a smaller program, while UTEP NEVER PROGRESS. Don't mean to diss them more of frustration with UTEP.

I don't know why you guys dismiss UNT and UTSA as competitors. They have good coaches and direct access to much deeper local recruiting pools.

It's not really dismissing them. It's more being upset how far we've fallen. Ten years ago if you would have said tolf me would have been in a conference with UTSA and UNT, nobody would've believed it. Back then that would've seemed like being relegated to the Southland. I got no problem with UNT and UTSA. Both schools are committed to winning and competing at the highest level. I don't know if that's the case at UTEP. The administration is asleep at the wheel and in total denial. It's just sad same story different chapter. I guess the next two state schools on the list to pass us are Sfa and SHSU.

Speaking of UTSA they got an influential alumn on the UT board of regents.He's already stated he will do whatever necessary to progress UTSA. I expect big things to happen there in the next few years. It's different then when foster was on the board of reagents. He was a political appointee to make the board more right leaning. He wasn't anti utep by any means he was friendly to UTEP, but he was more of a peace maker. He wasn't there to do let push UTEP's agenda. With their location and growing political clout UTSA is going to be a force no doubt about it.

Would Texas allow for UTSA to be a force? Look what happen to UAB?

The population in the largest cities in Texas is exploding. This creates a great opportunity for second tier schools to feast on recruiting "scraps."

Would Texas allow for UTSA to be a force? Look what happen to UAB?

Completely different situations. Alabama uses state money to fund athletics, Texas doesn't. Texas doesn't interfere with athletics. Academics is where the UT system can hold money and effect schools. However, it's almost universally recognized the three best public universities in the state are ut Austin, ut dallas and texas a&m. The system doesnt hold down ut dallas or any other school.

Just curious about the RB Wadley and his shoulder, if he's ready to go for fall and this season with a good offensive line our chances of being at least .500 go up I think

It all comes down to the passing game. If the play calling is JV level and our wide receivers are garbage then it doesn't matter how good the running game is. I hope Kugler and Co. step up their game and chuck the ball this year. I don't want to get 5 or 6 games in and hear Kug say, "This is my fault, I'll figure it out.... this is on me."

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Last year unt went to west point and won.
To be fair, Army defeated UNT in the rematch in the bowl game. And they are returning from a bowl win and finally beat Navy, so I certainly don't consider them a pushover that UTEP "should" defeat. Maybe UTEP "needs" to win, but they won't be favored.

I just finished readind Ahtlons

They have
Sean Kuglar on Hot Seat #9
Will Hernandez is 3rd team All American
He is also number 2 or 3 for players to watch or something like that. I forgot.

They also predict Utep to finish 2nd to last in the west divison.

Anyone read any of the others?

Wait, so we won't be last?!? Woohoo!

giphy.gif

Will see what happens? The schedule last year was set up to help UTEP but Kug couldn't deliver. AJ's decision to go pro will save his hide for a while and was a tremendous distraction for last year's total underachievement. Perhaps they will perform better under greater pressure because the schedule this year is brutal for our current program. Based on Stull's and Kug's reaction from the year before last, it's may get ugly again for them both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT