ADVERTISEMENT

People calling for Dimel to be fired are morons!

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
If you have tweeted or posted about Dimel to be fired read up:

• Athletics is not a window to the University, stop saying that. It’s flat out wrong. Read this page about the “Flutie Effect” – it proves 1000% that athletics has no impact on school applications.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flutie_effect
    • Just a few examples that debunk that theory:
    • Appalachian State University saw a "Flutie effect" in the early 2000s after winning multiple Division I FCS championships and upsetting Michigan with Armanti Edwards as their quarterback. Five years after the Michigan game, CBSSports.com writer Dennis Dodd claimed that it was "tied directly to a 17 percent increase in applicants, a 24 percent boost in attendance and a 73 percent rise in licensing royalties."

• Florida Gulf Coast and Wichita State
    • Two schools experienced similar effects following runs in the 2013 NCAA tournament. Within a year of Florida Gulf Coast's Sweet Sixteen run, sales of men's basketball-related merchandise increased more than 20-fold, the total number of applications to the school increased by 36%, and out-of-state applications increased 41%.[17] Wichita State saw applications rise by 81% after the Shockers made the Final Four.

• Boise State
    • Boise State University experienced a "Flutie effect" after their 43-42 overtime victory over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. The game capped an undefeated season and a top-5 finish by Boise State, a team not considered to be a traditional football power. Online inquiries about the school increased 135 percent, and graduate school application inquiries increased tenfold. Boise State also enrolled over 19,000 students the next fall, an all-time high.
    • Gonzaga
    • One alleged "Flutie Effect" occurred at Gonzaga University. The school had seen its undergraduate population drop from over 4,000 in 1990 to just under 2,800 in 1998, when the school had operated at a budget deficit for several years, seen declines in its credit rating and a shrinking endowment, and had reduced its staffing. A few faculty members suggested that Gonzaga athletics drop from Division I to a lower level.
  • Dimel tries really, really, hard! He’s a nice guy who made a few mistakes, are you ready to cast the first stone?
  • Dimel keeps saying the team needs to improve, score points, not turn it over, be in position – he knows what he needs to do so let him coach. Geez!
  • So let’s assume you get your wish and he is replaced with a young, energetic coach who excites the fan base. Ok, now what? Yes, he may know when to call timeouts, know how to scheme against opponents, know how to fire up his team so they don’t play lethargic, and knows how to run a creative play on 4th down. Ok, forget that. So, a young coach say, goes 8-4, then 9-3 with a couple of bowl appearances and a bowl win. Ok. You know he will bolt to a bigger school, then we must start all over again. If we go 2-10, then maybe 6-6 every 4-5 years, then no one will pursue Dimel, and we have consistency. I hope you can understand that!
  • Have you ever had to make travel plans on short notice? Very stressful. If UTEP gets a bowl invite, fans must book flights, hotels, car rental, get game tickets, take time from work, take the dog to a family member or boarding, oh my gosh, who wants that. Isn’t it better to chill at home in December? Plus do you really think players want to have to practice in mid-December? I’m sure 100% would say no.
  • Playing for conference championships only gives fans a huge letdown if a team loses, and one of the 2 has to lose. So avoid the stress and don’t play in a championship game. Dimel is doing us a huge favor, so I hope you recognize that!
  • Again, assume UTEP wins games (I know, I know but suspend reality for a second) – then crowds will grow, fans have to battle lines at concession, restrooms, have to sit right next to someone, battle traffic and parking. No thanks. Better to spread out, have an entire section to yourself, and relax! Look at the Band, they take up 4 sections for 60 people – they look super comfortable.
  • Do you really think businesses/restaurants along Mesa and Cincinnati District want UTEP to win. Heck no! That means staffing up before and after games, ordering more raw food and alcohol, and be super busy. I am positive they would give up the additional revenue that would generate for a peaceful evening with plenty of open tables.
  • So why don’t you stick to your funny little TikToks on your phone, and let Senter and Wilson run the Athletics program. That’s what they are paid to do and they are working hard, I bet Senter gets in before 8:00 am, they don’t need us voicing opinions.

If you have tweeted or posted about Dimel to be fired read up:

• Athletics is not a window to the University, stop saying that. It’s flat out wrong. Read this page about the “Flutie Effect” – it proves 1000% that athletics has no impact on school applications.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flutie_effect
    • Just a few examples that debunk that theory:
    • Appalachian State University saw a "Flutie effect" in the early 2000s after winning multiple Division I FCS championships and upsetting Michigan with Armanti Edwards as their quarterback. Five years after the Michigan game, CBSSports.com writer Dennis Dodd claimed that it was "tied directly to a 17 percent increase in applicants, a 24 percent boost in attendance and a 73 percent rise in licensing royalties."

• Florida Gulf Coast and Wichita State
    • Two schools experienced similar effects following runs in the 2013 NCAA tournament. Within a year of Florida Gulf Coast's Sweet Sixteen run, sales of men's basketball-related merchandise increased more than 20-fold, the total number of applications to the school increased by 36%, and out-of-state applications increased 41%.[17] Wichita State saw applications rise by 81% after the Shockers made the Final Four.

• Boise State
    • Boise State University experienced a "Flutie effect" after their 43-42 overtime victory over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. The game capped an undefeated season and a top-5 finish by Boise State, a team not considered to be a traditional football power. Online inquiries about the school increased 135 percent, and graduate school application inquiries increased tenfold. Boise State also enrolled over 19,000 students the next fall, an all-time high.
    • Gonzaga
    • One alleged "Flutie Effect" occurred at Gonzaga University. The school had seen its undergraduate population drop from over 4,000 in 1990 to just under 2,800 in 1998, when the school had operated at a budget deficit for several years, seen declines in its credit rating and a shrinking endowment, and had reduced its staffing. A few faculty members suggested that Gonzaga athletics drop from Division I to a lower level.
  • Dimel tries really, really, hard! He’s a nice guy who made a few mistakes, are you ready to cast the first stone?
  • Dimel keeps saying the team needs to improve, score points, not turn it over, be in position – he knows what he needs to do so let him coach. Geez!
  • So let’s assume you get your wish and he is replaced with a young, energetic coach who excites the fan base. Ok, now what? Yes, he may know when to call timeouts, know how to scheme against opponents, know how to fire up his team so they don’t play lethargic, and knows how to run a creative play on 4th down. Ok, forget that. So, a young coach say, goes 8-4, then 9-3 with a couple of bowl appearances and a bowl win. Ok. You know he will bolt to a bigger school, then we must start all over again. If we go 2-10, then maybe 6-6 every 4-5 years, then no one will pursue Dimel, and we have consistency. I hope you can understand that!
  • Have you ever had to make travel plans on short notice? Very stressful. If UTEP gets a bowl invite, fans must book flights, hotels, car rental, get game tickets, take time from work, take the dog to a family member or boarding, oh my gosh, who wants that. Isn’t it better to chill at home in December? Plus do you really think players want to have to practice in mid-December? I’m sure 100% would say no.
  • Playing for conference championships only gives fans a huge letdown if a team loses, and one of the 2 has to lose. So avoid the stress and don’t play in a championship game. Dimel is doing us a huge favor, so I hope you recognize that!
  • Again, assume UTEP wins games (I know, I know but suspend reality for a second) – then crowds will grow, fans have to battle lines at concession, restrooms, have to sit right next to someone, battle traffic and parking. No thanks. Better to spread out, have an entire section to yourself, and relax! Look at the Band, they take up 4 sections for 60 people – they look super comfortable.
  • Do you really think businesses/restaurants along Mesa and Cincinnati District want UTEP to win. Heck no! That means staffing up before and after games, ordering more raw food and alcohol, and be super busy. I am positive they would give up the additional revenue that would generate for a peaceful evening with plenty of open tables.
  • So why don’t you stick to your funny little TikToks on your phone, and let Senter and Wilson run the Athletics program. That’s what they are paid to do and they are working hard, I bet Senter gets in before 8:00 am, they don’t need us voicing opinions.
LOL! Noice TD👍

Reactions: Lil_Train
Thanks TD! Until now I didn't realize how appreciative I should have been for the job that Dimel and Senter have done at UTEP. For example, last night I actually spent hours watching the dumpster fire that was the Miner/Aggie game. What I failed to grasp (like you said, I'm a moron) is that Dimel was giving me the opportunity to do something else with my evening. I could have watched a movie or TV show, read a book, or engaged in countless other activities, as Dimel has provided me with multiple reasons all year not to waste my time with Miner Football. I've just been too stupid to see it! A huge thanks to Coach Dimel, and to Senter, who hired and has supported him, for giving me every reason not to plan my autumn around watching the Miners. Another huge thanks to you for pointing this out to me!

Thanks TD! Until now I didn't realize how appreciative I should have been for the job that Dimel and Senter have done at UTEP. For example, last night I actually spent hours watching the dumpster fire that was the Miner/Aggie game. What I failed to grasp (like you said, I'm a moron) is that Dimel was giving me the opportunity to do something else with my evening. I could have watched a movie or TV show, read a book, or engaged in countless other activities, as Dimel has provided me with multiple reasons all year not to waste my time with Miner Football. I've just been too stupid to see it! A huge thanks to Coach Dimel, and to Senter, who hired and has supported him, for giving me every reason not to plan my autumn around watching the Miners. Another huge thanks to you for pointing this out to me!
For me it was a choice between watching a Three's Company marathon versus catching a glimpse of Scotty Ohara's offensive genius. I chose incorrectly. 😉

Yes, we don’t care anymore. You will be remembered for prolonging this Senter. You can invoke “peer advice”, (contracted) “sports research” team, whatever. Damage is done.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Yes, we don’t care anymore. You will be remembered for prolonging this Senter. You can invoke “peer advice”, (contracted) “sports research” team, whatever. Damage is done.

Yup. Had my beer guzzling bud join me Wednesday night to watch the game and all I did was complain about our sissy ass looking mascot. Told him I don't even care about our on-field performance anymore because we suck and wanted to know how much he thought a school would need to buy a new mascot outfit because that girly sh!t we have right now blows.

And I hate that we have girls donning the mascot sometimes. Not because they are girls but because they dance with the cheerleaders and make it obvious that they are girls with hips that move well and not miners with hips that have been digging for gold.

If you're going to wear a Miner outfit, behave like a fvcking miner and not like a goddamned sissy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT