ADVERTISEMENT

Could UTEP be invited to join the Big12?

Boise has been a powerhouse in Div1-AA. They moved up to Div.1-A and they have only played in Div.1-A for 15 years and they are already the top mid-major in the country. The have won 2 BCS bowls, have had 2 undefeated seasons, have victories over TCU, Iowa State, Oklahoma, UTAH, ASU, and Arizona in bowl games. I am pretty sure BSU Alumni are licking their chops to get into the Big 12. BSU isn't thinking they are going to get hammered for a few seasons, they are thinking they will compete in the Big 12 right away. BSU wouldn't think twice about staying in the Mountain West if offered an invite to the Big 12. Big 12 vs. Mountain West.....uuuuum thats a no brainer. Boise would do very well in the Big 12 and everyone in Boise knows it.

When they moved from Div.1-AA to Div.1-A they weren't thinking ohh we will get hammered for awhile. They saw it as a opportunity to move up and took advantage of it. They will think the same if offered an invite to the Big 12.

I'm sure they're not "licking their chops" to get into the Big 12. You forget, or left out, Boise had an opportunity to leave for the Big East (geez), and changed their mind for a variety of reasons - namely, the MWC ponied up more money to keep the Broncos in the conference to the detriment of other member schools. Somehow people think Boise would be willing to give up the power for more money and less influence. Who does that? Of course Boise wouldn't willfully take a back seat in the Big 12, but they're also not coming in and calling the shots either.

Lastly, you listed the bowl games they won. Yup, they did, but beating a team you face once - is a lot different than playing that same team annually and beating them. Hence, getting thumped for a bit before becoming competitive. See Utah joining the Pac 12 for an example.

I agree in a perfect world Boise would stay put. However, in the current climate they will do whatever it takes to move up. Its looking more likely everyday that we are moving towards four super conferences that will split from the NCAA. Boise doesnt want to get left behind.

For sure!! I totally agree. This is a game of musical chairs and they don't want to be left without a seat. Frankly, I hope they do go to the Big 12, because that means UTEP can get a look at the MWC. Just as long as the AD doesn't sign off on that absurd revenue distribution that UNLV did, I'd be fine with it.

There isn't a Miner fan on here who wouldn't mind going 0-9 in conference play for 4 years if it meant UTEP was in the Big 12. Same goes for the basketball team. Better to be in the Big 12 sucking $$$, collecting money and getting exposure and better recruits than to be meddling in Crapference USA.

You're the same guy who said you can't sell a losing program. So why go to the Big 12 and be fine "going 0-9 in conference play for 4 years?" LOL. But I do agree with you on CUSA. smh.

You're the same guy who said you can't sell a losing program. So why go to the Big 12 and be fine "going 0-9 in conference play for 4 years?" LOL. But I do agree with you on CUSA. smh.

You probably interpreted my post wrong. All I said was there isn't a Miner fan who wouldn't sacrifice going 0-9 in the Big 12 for years to get a spot in there.

Nothing to do with recruiting or building a program.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I'm sure they're not "licking their chops" to get into the Big 12. You forget, or left out, Boise had an opportunity to leave for the Big East (geez), and changed their mind for a variety of reasons - namely, the MWC ponied up more money to keep the Broncos in the conference to the detriment of other member schools. Somehow people think Boise would be willing to give up the power for more money and less influence. Who does that? Of course Boise wouldn't willfully take a back seat in the Big 12, but they're also not coming in and calling the shots either.

Lastly, you listed the bowl games they won. Yup, they did, but beating a team you face once - is a lot different than playing that same team annually and beating them. Hence, getting thumped for a bit before becoming competitive. See Utah joining the Pac 12 for an example.
The Big East was a lateral move and it was only for football. Like ST said, their other sports would be playing in the Big West. When the MW gave in and offered more money to Boise than the Big East was going to offer, it was a no brainer to stay in the MW. A few years ago TCU and Boise were both mid majors. Boise had more success than TCU and was a better football program when TCU was a mid major. Last season TCU should have been playing in the college football playoffs for a National Championship. Boise sees themselves playing for a national championship if they get invited to the Big 12. The victories in the bowl games prove they can compete in the Big 12. If beating these P5 schools in bowl games is easy like u pretty much said because its only 1 game then how come UTEP can never beat any of these teams. Boise is making peanuts to what they would be making in the Big 12. IF in the Big 12, they won't lose their head coach to schools like Washington like they did with Peterson. Boise would join the Big 12 in a second.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT