ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA Reducing Basketball Tournament to 8 Teams

For those of us that are confused, if the WAC isn’t better than CUSA then why should UTEP join them?

So you can understand,

Guy1 “Hey man do you want to go to Wendy’s or Ruth Chris for lunch?”

Guy 2 “I’d rather go to Wendy’s because it’s closer and cheaper.”

Guy 1 “You’re saying that Wendy’s is better than Ruth Chris????”

Understand?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
So you can understand,

Guy1 “Hey man do you want to go to Wendy’s or Ruth Chris for lunch?”

Guy 2 “I’d rather go to Wendy’s because it’s closer and cheaper.”

Guy 1 “You’re saying that Wendy’s is better than Ruth Chris????”

Understand?
Until you can prove how many “dollars” NMSU saves on travel costs compared to UTEP that’s just an opinion. Like I mentioned earlier both teams traveled around the same amount of miles. The difference is that UTEP plays two more conference games than NMSU. That argument is as weak as your idea to leave cusa for independence.

Until you can prove how many “dollars” NMSU saves on travel costs compared to UTEP that’s just an opinion. Like I mentioned earlier both teams traveled around the same amount of miles. The difference is that UTEP plays two more conference games than NMSU. That argument is as weak as your idea to leave cusa for independence.

UTEP does play 2 more conference games than them. 1 at home, 1 on the road. As I previously mentioned, NMSU replaces their road trips to Bakersfield with St George and Kansas City with almost Dallas. If they got rid of Chicago St and brought in UTEP, even better for travel.

I can’t prove the dollars, because I could never get the “real” information needed to justify it. As I stated before, there is no difference between playing UTRGV & Cal Baptist and FIU & FAU. The season ticket holders paid for 3 D2 games last year, you think they’re going to know the difference? Which Miner fans are going to buy tickets to go see FIU? None, they suck.

I’ve given my opinion and I have justified my reasons. I would rather see UTEP play in the WAC/Independent over staying in the current Conference USA. With the caveat of the money being relatively close. UTEP has made 6 bowl games in 53 years, it doesn’t matter where they play football. They don’t win their conference and they don’t make bowl games. Makes no difference who they lose to.

Of course NMSU has lower travel costs, what the hell is wrong with you. They have short trips to Bakersfield, Seattle, Chicago, etc. Plus their fb team has multiple regional games at UMASS, Florida, Fresno and Hawaii.

Reactions: picks up
Of course NMSU has lower travel costs, what the hell is wrong with you. They have short trips to Bakersfield, Seattle, Chicago, etc. Plus their fb team has multiple regional games at UMASS, Florida, Fresno and Hawaii.

Which direct flights does UTEP have to Ruston, La and Huntington, WV? It’s easier to get to Chicago and Seattle from El Paso than the two cities I mentioned, agreed?

Which direct flights does UTEP have to Ruston, La and Huntington, WV? It’s easier to get to Chicago and Seattle from El Paso than the two cities I mentioned, agreed?
Yes, but if UTEP charters then no. I do see that UTEP charters mbb. Not sure about fb. Also, I must confess that I would much rather have UTEP playing Hawaii and Fresno St on a regular basis as our division crossover games in the MWC than this seasons CUSA crossover games with Charlotte and FIU. You understand that I do have to give you some caca now and then just to keep everything honest and above board.

Yes, but if UTEP charters then no. I do see that UTEP charters mbb. Not sure about fb. Also, I must confess that I would much rather have UTEP playing Hawaii and Fresno St on a regular basis as our division crossover games in the MWC than this seasons CUSA crossover games with Charlotte and FIU. You understand that I do have to give you some caca now and then just to keep everything honest and above board.
Everyone wants UTEP in the MWC. Matter of fact, I don't think you'll find many folks who will dissent that point.

The reality however is that I don't see the MWC asking UTEP to join any time soon until UTEP wins. Personally, basketball winning would help but FB winning would be the key to even start that discussion. In the meantime, a move to the WAC would be better on program costs. Also, if UTEP cannot win at basketball in the WAC (at minimum challenge NMSU), then UTEP would have no business in the MWC.

Moral of the story: UTEP needs to win, period. No way around that main bullet point.

Everyone wants UTEP in the MWC. Matter of fact, I don't think you'll find many folks who will dissent that point.

The reality however is that I don't see the MWC asking UTEP to join any time soon until UTEP wins. Personally, basketball winning would help but FB winning would be the key to even start that discussion. In the meantime, a move to the WAC would be better on program costs. Also, if UTEP cannot win at basketball in the WAC (at minimum challenge NMSU), then UTEP would have no business in the MWC.

Moral of the story: UTEP needs to win, period. No way around that main bullet point.

Until UTEP wins in football, they will be undesirable by any “ better” conferences than CUSA. When you go to 6 bowl games in 53 years, you suck at football. Winning 2 games the last 3 years, doesn’t help either.

UTEP could make the Final 4 the next 3 years and the MWC still wouldn’t come knocking. We can’t even compete in CUSA, the basketball team would be hanging out with Air Force and San Jose St at the bottom of the league.

Until UTEP wins in football, they will be undesirable by any “ better” conferences than CUSA. When you go to 6 bowl games in 53 years, you suck at football. Winning 2 games the last 3 years, doesn’t help either.

UTEP could make the Final 4 the next 3 years and the MWC still wouldn’t come knocking. We can’t even compete in CUSA, the basketball team would be hanging out with Air Force and San Jose St at the bottom of the league.

So quick tangent: thanks to your exchange a little earlier in the day on another thread, I realized I can join this site for free. I have been on the sidelines for a few years so many thanks for highlighting that this is free.

Funny thing is that CUSA isnt a bad conference per se cause there is a decent TV deal in place, good connections to bowls and the top half in basketball is fairly decent. However UTEP due to its various inept decisions has sunk to the bottom of both FB and MBB. I remember when Memphis left, I was thrilled because I assumed (wrongly) that UTEP would take their place.

A lot of work is needed and to me it starts with leadership and its job to establish a winning mindset/culture. My take is to stay put in CUSA cause the WAC overall is weaker without a good TV deal. Stay in CUSA, keep the head down and grind the next few years to clean up. Only after winning can there be talks to join a better conference. I honestly get tired of seeing the "we should be in MWC" because duh, that makes too much geographical sense, we all know that. But with the dump of an athletic department that we have, we aren't getting an invitation anytime soon.

So quick tangent: thanks to your exchange a little earlier in the day on another thread, I realized I can join this site for free. I have been on the sidelines for a few years so many thanks for highlighting that this is free.

Funny thing is that CUSA isnt a bad conference per se cause there is a decent TV deal in place, good connections to bowls and the top half in basketball is fairly decent. However UTEP due to its various inept decisions has sunk to the bottom of both FB and MBB. I remember when Memphis left, I was thrilled because I assumed (wrongly) that UTEP would take their place.

A lot of work is needed and to me it starts with leadership and its job to establish a winning mindset/culture. My take is to stay put in CUSA cause the WAC overall is weaker without a good TV deal. Stay in CUSA, keep the head down and grind the next few years to clean up. Only after winning can there be talks to join a better conference. I honestly get tired of seeing the "we should be in MWC" because duh, that makes too much geographical sense, we all know that. But with the dump of an athletic department that we have, we aren't getting an invitation anytime soon.

You’re welcome, but fair warning, some of the slower people on here will accuse you of being me or “AutoBoy”.

CUSA is an okay conference, but there’s no reason why UTEP shouldn’t be Top 4 every year. Finishing in 11th place this year was a disgrace. It’s just too far spread with a bunch of mediocre teams for my liking.

Yes, most of us would like to be in the MWC, but you would be surprised about how some posters and UTEP fans think it’s easy to join and don’t get why we’re not there.

You’re welcome, but fair warning, some of the slower people on here will accuse you of being me or “AutoBoy”.

CUSA is an okay conference, but there’s no reason why UTEP shouldn’t be Top 4 every year. Finishing in 11th place this year was a disgrace. It’s just too far spread with a bunch of mediocre teams for my liking.

Yes, most of us would like to be in the MWC, but you would be surprised about how some posters and UTEP fans think it’s easy to join and don’t get why we’re not there.

It's actually why I am attempting to state that I am my own entity haha but we'll see how that goes.

Yeah seeing us finish 11th in basketball was horrendous. I'm a Browns fan and know the hype-fail-pissed off-hopefull cycle all too well. Last year was so bad because of the hype behind all of the transfers and seeing that CRT couldn't make adjustments, players quitting, DRAMA and only to fall in epic fashion.

UTEP charters all football flights.
I think the mens and womens hoops teams fly commercial.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT