ADVERTISEMENT

Derek Williams

C. Silva

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2003
How do you feel he could help the Miners? Let's start some discussions on this board.

He's averaging 18.4 points and 4.6 assists. But 29 percent of his points come from free throws! Barbee is getting someone who drives and makes his shots.

Your thoughts?

I think he would be a heck of a pick up. I like the fact that he gets to the line so much and that he knocks them down. I hope we get him.

I believe Williams would be a solid pickup as well, although I do think the staff would prefer to go with a high/prep school guy. Varez Ward's recruitment has blown up in the late signing period, and Kentucky has joined in the fight for his services, which of course, will make it harder to get him. Arkansas and Cincinatti are also in the running for Ward. Of the players we have been linked to, I think Williams would be at the top.

I like Williams okay. His field goal stats are not what I'd like to see, but he would still be a nice addition.

IMO, I would like us to pick up Gutierrez, and while I'm not generally big on JC's, I'd like to see us pick up Tang or Kirkland for their inside scoring. I believe Ward is a reach for us with all the new schools in the mix.

We may or may not have a bright future depending on a couple of undetermined circumstances Coach Barbee may be facing. Will DJ return for his senior season and is Randy going to mature and stay with the program? If we loose these two players we will be in another rebuilding mode which may affect how TB decides to recruit.

From what I heard, the situation with Randy is not to the point where he would leave. I hope my source is right....

This is very encouraging. He is a building block we need for next year to get us on the right track.

People seem to forget most of these players are straight out of high school. They are due a couple of flareups. I doubt it is anything serious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT