ADVERTISEMENT

Does UTEP win lastnight

Looks like Kennedy is not the main guy in Memphis. Boum on the other hand looks like he is go to guy at Xavier.

Why not??

Boum is a 20 point scorer and Kennedy is about 15 points.
Kennedy is hot/cold. He scored 2 points in his first start at Memphis. We had one consistent scorer the last year and that was Boum, and that got us where? Look…I think your underestimating the type of team that Texas is. They are a potential final four team. We could’ve had Boum and Williams on that team and I still think we lose. Just my opinion.

Kennedy is hot/cold. He scored 2 points in his first start at Memphis. We had one consistent scorer the last year and that was Boum, and that got us where? Look…I think your underestimating the type of team that Texas is. They are a potential final four team. We could’ve had Boum and Williams on that team and I still think we lose. Just my opinion.
Did Texas really look like a Final Four Team? I was not at all impressed. Maybe they will improve as the season goes along, but I would wager to say that Gonzaga on the 16th will dismantle them in Austin. Gonzaga follows that game with Kentucky 4 days later.

Did Texas really look like a Final Four Team? I was not at all impressed. Maybe they will improve as the season goes along, but I would wager to say that Gonzaga on the 16th will dismantle them in Austin. Gonzaga follows that game with Kentucky 4 days later.
Texas has scrimmaged Houston and Arkansas, and plays at least the Zags, Creighton and Illinois before the tough conference slate.

Who said they’re final four? They’ll be battle tested by March.

I think they could/should be a Sweet 16 team, but they, like every team, have to be fortunate injury wise.

I liked what the Miners did against them and am hopeful Golding’s squad surprises.

It was only an exhibition, but UT looked really good against Arkansas. That was obviously a completely different type of game than than the half court game strategy Golding knew he had to use. I think a team with a strong inside presence, like Gonzaga, will give UT trouble; but that's why they are ranked where they are. Should be interesting.

Reactions: unihorn
No.

Boum was our leader and a joy to watch in a Miner uni but was notorious for either losing his cool (as in mouthing off on the court and pissing off the refs)) and/or playing out of control in critical final minutes in big games. No doubt in my mind he would have done it against Texas.

Kennedy forces plays. Athletic as heck. Major conference caliber player, but not a floor general.

I thought Kennedy should have stayed to be the man. For Boum it was time to go.

"How the former Miners did last night

Four former UTEP players had their respective first games last night in the college basketball season opener:

• Souley Boum (Xavier 96 - Morgan State 73): 23 points, 5 steals
  • Keonte Kennedy (Memphis 76 - Vanderbilt 67): 2 points, 3 rebounds in 20 minutes
  • Tydus Verhoeven (Northwestern 85 - Chicago State 54): 2 points, 3 rebounds, 5 fouls
  • Bonke Maring (FIU 77 - Houston Christian 66): 8 points, 8 rebounds & 1 block"

Read More: Ten Takeaways from UTEP Basketball's Opening Loss at Texas | https://krod.com/ten-takeaways-from...texas/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

It looks like a guy that Golding missed out on that could really have helped this team is Dae Dae Grant. It is obviously very early, but Grant performed well in Duquesne's opener versus Montana. I'm still hopeful Hardy can fill a similar role as a shooter, but I think Grant would have been a real difference maker on a team desperately needing shooters. Too bad we couldn't come up with the $$$ for him and his handler.

I liked what the Miners did against them and am hopeful Golding’s squad surprises.
The Miners were way more physical than I expected. I guess we'll know for sure when they play NMSU. Last year, NMSU just pushed UTEP around. Based on the Texas game, I think the Miners can match them this season.

It looks like a guy that Golding missed out on that could really have helped this team is Dae Dae Grant. It is obviously very early, but Grant performed well in Duquesne's opener versus Montana. I'm still hopeful Hardy can fill a similar role as a shooter, but I think Grant would have been a real difference maker on a team desperately needing shooters. Too bad we couldn't come up with the $$$ for him and his handler.
The dude is kind of a p.o.s, but yes he is a damn good player. He would have been THE guy for this team. He got $60k to go to Duquesne.

They should've spent the money on star players instead of depth. UTEP needed a star player. They needed to replace Boum and Kennedy. Who is the leader on this team??

Golding ball doesn't have "star" players. They're all a team and we can expect to see balanced scoring after every game.
Is that why Boum and Kennedy left? Star players win games and get into the tournament . You cant win with role players.

Utep never would have won that game. Officials would have seen to that. Biggest homer crew since Santa Clara in '08 or perhaps Indiana in 1988.

Boum left because he got offered a lot of money. Good for him, hes in college and making a killing!
Thats what im saying maybe instead of going after low key transfers. They spend all the the money on 2 star players. the rest of the roster on high school players. Golding probably had a budget. Lets say he had 1 million to work with?

i would spend it like this.

250k Star recruit high major transfer/4 or 5 star high schooler
250k Star recruit ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
50k to 80k for the rest of the starting lineup.

the bench high schoolers and jucos and maybe 2 international layers??

Thats what im saying maybe instead of going after low key transfers. They spend all the the money on 2 star players. the rest of the roster on high school players. Golding probably had a budget. Lets say he had 1 million to work with?

So why do you think we just need 2 star players and that’s all. We had that with Boum and Williams and that got us no where, and they had better talent than just some high school players.

So why do you think we just need 2 star players and that’s all. We had that with Boum and Williams and that got us no where, and they had better talent than just some high school players.
Every Basketball team needs at least 2 star players to win. 2 is the minimum. It doesn't guarantee success but at least you have a chance. This team that Golding built , we dont know who are the alphas. The leaders? Who is taking the last shot? Hopefully after tomorrow someone will step up and take lead.

Every Basketball team needs at least 2 star players to win. 2 is the minimum. It doesn't guarantee success but at least you have a chance. This team that Golding built , we dont know who are the alphas. The leaders? Who is taking the last shot? Hopefully after tomorrow someone will step up and take lead.
We’re one game in. That, and CBB can’t hold a candle to your YMCA league.

If only he had $1 million, then they’d be in good shape. From what I know at the moment all they have is like $180-$200k to pay current players. Maybe that changes as the NIL collective grows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT