ADVERTISEMENT

Dream for the rest of the season

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
EFrYh5r.jpg

I'm not sure if Kugler promised Leftwich Sr. that his kid would start at QB this season. The kid was given three opportunities this year and did not perform; plain and simple. Metz was put in a pressure situation and won the starting job...enough said. Miner players and fans saw the difference between the two QB's last night. Unless Kugler wants to see his offense struggle, he needs to start Metz.

A problem with Leftwhich is that I have seen him play 4 games this calender year(3 games this season and the Spring Game in March). He got killed last night on a crushing hit which forced him to fumble the ball and turn it over, he was then helped off the field. And in the Spring Game, Devin Cockrell also hit him just as hard as last night(in a similar type of scramble situation) and again Leftwich also fumbled the ball away from the blast and had to be helped off the field. That means that in half of the games that he has played this year, he has gotten hit so hard that he has turned the ball over. Not to mention that in all 4 games, Leftwich has had at least one pass batted down at the line of scrimmage and last night one of Leftwhich's batted passes got knocked up into the air and landed about 2 feet away from an interception, which probably would have put UTEP so far behind that they would have surely lost. By comparison, Metz has not had any passes batted down at the line of scrimmage. So the point that others have made is very true; if our QB's are basically equal, then why are we not going with the 6'4 QB instead of the 5'9" QB who constantly gets killed? But then it gets worse, becauase all things are not equal, as Metz has produced more in less than one half of football than Leftwich has produced all season, AND Metz produced this without the benefit of having the teams best Offensive talent(how much greater would Metz look if he also had Aaron Jones to help him, like Leftwhich did).

Our University has invested a lot in Metz, he is a Freshman, but this is his 3rd year in our Program and when it is all said and done, UTEP will have allocated a Scholarship for basically 6 years on Metz, so why not capitalize on our Investment?

Finally, feel free to fact check me, but I was saying these same things about wanting Metz to be our QB way back in Spring Ball.

I'm not sure if Kugler promised Leftwich Sr. that his kid would start at QB this season. The kid was given three opportunities this year and did not perform; plain and simple. Metz was put in a pressure situation and won the starting job...enough said. Miner players and fans saw the difference between the two QB's last night. Unless Kugler wants to see his offense struggle, he needs to start Metz.

Exactly, Metz didn't win the job due to injury, Metz won the job due to producing more against the exact same defense last night that Leftwhich also played against. As I also mentioned above, Metz also never had the benefit of having Aaron Jones help him like Leftwhich did. Just imagine how much better Metz would be, if he had the same opportunity just to swing the ball out to Aaron Jones and watch him gain 11 yards, the same way that Leftwhich did.

Metz, Elmendorf, Aaron Jones, and Alvin Jones are all El Pasoans, who were part of Kugler's very first Recruiting Class. Let's now let those guys lead us to a lot of victories over the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
The only thing I am worried about is if Kugler goes with Metz, , Metz is going to have a very small margin for error before Kugler benches him for Leftwich. It is ok for Leftwich to do nothing in games and have bad game after bad game, but Metz isn't going to have that luxury. I just don't know why Kugler has this obsession with Ledftwich being our starting QB.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I'm not trying to start any controversy, but I thought Metz was our third string QB coming out of camp. I did not attend camp nor any of the practices so I'm relying on the coaches evaluation of the players. Don't get me wrong, Metz impressed me last night with his ability to lead and win the game for us. Metz made all the right decisions and looked very poised out there. I believe Metz earned the starting job!

Are our coaches doing a fair job in evaluating our players? What's the deal with Simpson? I thought it was a tight race between him and Leftwich. Simpson can't be injured if he is the holder on extra points. Is he in the dog house? Are Simpson's issues with his attitude?

#1 don't mess with his health. They have families to raise and businesses to help run or own long after college. Reality has to be told to Leftwich. I'm sure he's already had one concussion in high school, plus two just during his undergraduate days at UTEP. Please correct me anyone, but is not three concussions the "call it quits" for football, otherwise the long term damage becomes permanent?

I'm not trying to start any controversy, but I thought Metz was our third string QB coming out of camp. I did not attend camp nor any of the practices so I'm relying on the coaches evaluation of the players. Don't get me wrong, Metz impressed me last night with his ability to lead and win the game for us. Metz made all the right decisions and looked very poised out there. I believe Metz earned the starting job!

Are our coaches doing a fair job in evaluating our players? What's the deal with Simpson? I thought it was a tight race between him and Leftwich. Simpson can't be injured if he is the holder on extra points. Is he in the dog house? Are Simpson's issues with his attitude?

Absent politics, I don't know what criteria they're using to evaluate players in their system. Too many questions at too many positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT