ADVERTISEMENT

ELP, Birmingham and Frisco contenders to host the C- USA MBB & WBB

Minerinciter

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 20, 2001
In true Dallas Cowboys style, “The Star in Frisco” is 91 acres of spare-no-expense opulence – a $1.5 billion complex that contains the team’s corporate headquarters, two practice fields, a 12,000-seat indoor football stadium with interior and exterior video boards and an entertainment district with restaurants, shops and a hotel.
Both UAB and UTEP used separate arenas for the men’s and women’s games through the first two rounds. The Cowboys’ facility could be configured to put two courts on the playing field, according to a source with knowledge of the proposal.
http://pilotonline.com/sports/colle...b01bdf97-0603-5ae9-b8b0-9481f7d08cec.amp.html

Reactions: axingfools1
I was just about to post about this after seeing it on twitter. I think it's a very viable option, but it does take away an opportunity for capable host schools/cities to benefit. Also, if it's going to be a neutral site then it does have to be more central location. The only reason Frisco would be considered "central" is because of UTEP. We are so isolated from other CUSA schools it is dumb. All the more reason for UTEP to the mountain West. That way the tourney is in Vegas and not Frisco!

UTEP isn't the only reason it would be in Frisco, CUSA headquarters are in the DFW area.

Other than putting even more money in Jerry's pocket, I think it's probably the best answer. Like e-rick says, " lots of Alums in the area". Handier than any other location for Miner fans.

Other than putting even more money in Jerry's pocket, I think it's probably the best answer. Like e-rick says, " lots of Alums in the area". Handier than any other location for Miner fans.
Yes it would be a great spot for UTEP fans if EP is out of the question.

Is Frisco submitting a bid or is CUSA courting them? CUSA waives a 1 million payday by not not going with the highest bidder.

No way they go with Birmingham for a fourth straight year. Frisco is nice and there is a nice UTEP alumni base up there but it's going to be empty fore majority of games and they'll lose money. El Paso is a good bet to host it in 2018. I don't want to hear the excuses from the schools on the travel distance either. It's gotten old.

On the positive side, outside of El Paso hosting, this was probably the next best option for UTEP's chances. It's better than trying to beat a host team like UAB or ending up at a east coast site.

It would be wise to expand the tournament to all 16 teams automatically qualifying. Considering UNT didn't even make the tournament last season. During the press conferences they brought out 120,000 UNT alumni live in the metroplex. It will do the conference no good if they don't participate in it.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Dallas Cowboys! What's not to love?
Well like good ole' Ed says....

91cd036665e1f189b4637e8f3db0037b.jpg

It would be wise to expand the tournament to all 16 teams automatically qualifying. Considering UNT didn't even make the tournament last season. During the press conferences they brought out 120,000 UNT alumni live in the metroplex. It will do the conference no good if they don't participate in it.
I've attended two Miner games at UNT. It was just like the old SMU games I once attended. You could almost count the UNT fans with your toes and fingers. Don't count on anything from them unless they start winning.

Well like good ole' Ed says....

91cd036665e1f189b4637e8f3db0037b.jpg
Yeah, c'mon Roy! Be honest...is it truly The Cowboys you despise or Jerry. If it's not Jerry, why the hate? To say they suck was once pretty accurate and deserving, but based on their recent success; not a fair assessment. On the other hand if you just flat don't like 'em that's fine...just explain why.

Yeah, c'mon Roy! Be honest...is it truly The Cowboys you despise or Jerry. If it's not Jerry, why the hate? To say they suck was once pretty accurate and deserving, but based on their recent success; not a fair assessment. On the other hand if you just flat don't like 'em that's fine...just explain why.
A little bit of both, but just trying to stir the pot and be "that guy."

I grew up in a Cowboys household, but steered off to the Raider Nation, just never been fond of the Boys', and stirring the pot since I'm bored and sure a high % of posters on here are Boys' fans. Just a playful jab...

Good looking out on the hotels, I'll probably get with you sometime in in the fall to get those squared away, looking forward to seeing Frisco seems like its Texas' fastest growing suburb, and even though I'll take a dump on the Star if given the chance, looking forward to seeing those top notch facilities Jerry built for his squad.

A little bit of both, but just trying to stir the pot and be "that guy."

I grew up in a Cowboys household, but steered off to the Raider Nation, just never been fond of the Boys', and stirring the pot since I'm bored and sure a high % of posters on here are Boys' fans. Just a playful jab...

Good looking out on the hotels, I'll probably get with you sometime in in the fall to get those squared away, looking forward to seeing Frisco seems like its Texas' fastest growing suburb, and even though I'll take a dump on the Star if given the chance, looking forward to seeing those top notch facilities Jerry built for his squad.
It's mighty impressive, but still a work in process. I dare say, it'll be one of a kind. I was truly unaware of the real status of Frisco. Go through and around it often, but when I read that on opening day of high school football there four games with eight Frisco high schools playing each other all in Jerry's enclosed arena, I had to do some research. Now they have nine high schools. I would guess it's approaching 200,000 population.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I've attended two Miner games at UNT. It was just like the old SMU games I once attended. You could almost count the UNT fans with your toes and fingers. Don't count on anything from them unless they start winning.
I believe it. I attended the football game in Denton two years ago. The announced crowd was 8,000 but there was no more than 2,000 in attendance. A good amount of those were UTEP fans. Maybe 500. It was freezing that day. I know UNT had a bad season but UTEP also wasn't doing good. We were mathematical eliminated from post season at 4-7 at the start of the day.

I hope everyone from Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and of course the faithful diehards from El Paso represent UTEP hard during the tournament. We have a good opportunity to turn the Star into the the Don. There is something special about the UTEP fans living outside of El Paso. They are usually more vocal during road games. I don't know if it's because we only get one or two games a season but they are loud. Like they say pocos pero locos.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT