ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Golding

I wouldn't fire him yet (not that Senter would ever fire him outside of some disaster), but I think it's pretty obvious that Golding can't recruit very well and that his coaching is average. Sure he is positive and upbeat, but he doesn't seem to have any control over games and there are no repercussions for his players. If the NIL doesn't help him get better players soon, then he is pretty much done.

Take away the non-D1 games and he is 24-21. Here are the NET rankings of all the teams he has beaten.

Year 1
298, 310, 165, 313, 290, 341, 201, 324, 324, 132, 266, 215, 101, 341, 215, 55, 201, 239

Year 2
150, 263, 297, 183, 147, 281...

There isn't much quality. We've played a lot of bad teams.

Take away the non-D1 games and he is 24-21. Here are the NET rankings of all the teams he has beaten.

Year 1
298, 310, 165, 313, 290, 341, 201, 324, 324, 132, 266, 215, 101, 341, 215, 55, 201, 239

Year 2
150, 263, 297, 183, 147, 281...

There isn't much quality. We've played a lot of bad teams.
Wow. Only 1 top 100 team

I wouldn't fire him yet (not that Senter would ever fire him outside of some disaster), but I think it's pretty obvious that Golding can't recruit very well and that his coaching is average. Sure he is positive and upbeat, but he doesn't seem to have any control over games and there are no repercussions for his players. If the NIL doesn't help him get better players soon, then he is pretty much done.
Agree to disagree. I think his coaching is above average. I do however think he lacks a strong offensive mind. And the ability to recruit well. But I’ll give recruiting one more year with the NIL in place to make that final determination.

I think he’s a really solid defensive minded coach. I think he lacks the personnel to run things how he wants it run, but look at what he’s doing with who he has. Guys with low basketball IQ, that can’t shoot free throws or 3s and that turn the ball over ad nauseum. With all that deficiency, we’ve still been in every conference game. Down to the last possession. I think he connects well with his guys and gets the most out of them hustle wise, but the low bb IQ of his guys is too much to overcome. Again, I think that’s the recruiting aspect.

Personally, I give him one more year to win the conference or get us into the tournament. Short of that, I hope we move on, but like most on here, I doubt Senter will do that.

I think it's fair to give him one more year to seal the deal one way or the other, but he's not gonna get it done with the existing players. There's just nothing there offensively. He went shopping and the cupboard was bare. If you can't score you can't win, no matter how good you play "D".

Last edited:
Agree to disagree. I think his coaching is above average. I do however think he lacks a strong offensive mind. And the ability to recruit well. But I’ll give recruiting one more year with the NIL in place to make that final determination.

I think he’s a really solid defensive minded coach. I think he lacks the personnel to run things how he wants it run, but look at what he’s doing with who he has. Guys with low basketball IQ, that can’t shoot free throws or 3s and that turn the ball over ad nauseum. With all that deficiency, we’ve still been in every conference game. Down to the last possession. I think he connects well with his guys and gets the most out of them hustle wise, but the low bb IQ of his guys is too much to overcome. Again, I think that’s the recruiting aspect.

Personally, I give him one more year to win the conference or get us into the tournament. Short of that, I hope we move on, but like most on here, I doubt Senter will do that.
Fair enough. I just don't see him making any adjustments on offense or really holding the players accountable for their mistakes. Granted the defense is pretty good (although I cant stand the hedging), but we just aren't scoring enough. I don't see any recruits coming that can help on offense. We are already at 15 (Not including Givance) for next year so I'm not sure who else he can bring in.

And what has happened to Sibley and Z? I think most of us thought they could get the majority of minutes up front. Sibley needs to go back to the 4. All this moving to the 3 crap so he can get to the next level has been a waste.

Fair enough. I just don't see him making any adjustments on offense or really holding the players accountable for their mistakes. Granted the defense is pretty good (although I cant stand the hedging), but we just aren't scoring enough. I don't see any recruits coming that can help on offense. We are already at 15 (Not including Givance) for next year so I'm not sure who else he can bring in.

And what has happened to Sibley and Z? I think most of us thought they could get the majority of minutes up front. Sibley needs to go back to the 4. All this moving to the 3 crap so he can get to the next level has been a waste.
Sibley isn't strong and can't rebound, so he's not a good fit for 4 either. I think his issue is confidence. It's why Ewing ran him off from Georgetown.

Sibley isn't strong and can't rebound, so he's not a good fit for 4 either. I think his issue is confidence. It's why Ewing ran him off from Georgetown.
Agree on Sibley. It's really been a tough year for him. He is firmly behind Frazier, Solomon, and even dos Anjos for PT. You can see his confidence isn't where it needs to be, and that has affected other parts of his game, including his defense and turnovers. With Golding adding Elijah Jones as a transfer, it will be interesting to see who sticks around next year at the 3/4.

Not exactly something you should put on resume. The same evaluator of talent hasn’t won a conference game in like 2 years.
Both can be true. Ewing obviously isn't a good head coach, but Sibley obviously doesn't have the "dawg" in him. Which is frustrating as hell because he has everything else you would want in a 3 and 4 (4 star player out of a typically talent rich area, Chicago). Shooting ability plus the length he has. And it's obviously a problem for him as Golding hasn't been able to coach it out of him.

Agree on Sibley. It's really been a tough year for him. He is firmly behind Frazier, Solomon, and even dos Anjos for PT. You can see his confidence isn't where it needs to be, and that has affected other parts of his game, including his defense and turnovers. With Golding adding Elijah Jones as a transfer, it will be interesting to see who sticks around next year at the 3/4.
Shame to see because his potential could take him to the NBA, from a physical standpoint. I was expecting him to take the next step and become the best player on the team. His size and length would be coveted in pro ball. Mental plays such a significant role in a good basketball player though. A lot of our players have basketball IQ or confidence issues.

Golding talks a lot about "valuing the ball" yet here we are with the turnover problem. HUGE disconnect between what Golding says and what the players do on the court.

Shame to see because his potential could take him to the NBA, from a physical standpoint. I was expecting him to take the next step and become the best player on the team. His size and length would be coveted in pro ball. Mental plays such a significant role in a good basketball player though. A lot of our players have basketball IQ or confidence issues.
NBA?

tenor.gif

If we take away Golding's first four losing seasons at ACU and also take away his non-D1 games this is what we are left with.

9-18
10-16
12-15
23-6
16-11
20-5

18-14
6-7

114-92 .553

He's in the average to slightly above average range. In other words exactly what our AD looks for.

If we take away Golding's first four losing seasons at ACU and also take away his non-D1 games this is what we are left with.

9-18
10-16
12-15
23-6
16-11
20-5

18-14
6-7

114-92 .553

He's in the average to slightly above average range. In other words exactly what our AD looks for.
I hope he sent Shaka a Christmas present.

You all are ridiculous! He’s been here one damn year and lost by 2 , 1 , in OT and double ot has all new players just learning how to play with each other —- honestly I think he just needs two shooters and this team would be completely completely different — not to mention this season is far from over they have shown they can play with anyone in the conference —- if they can hit their free throws we have a much different record and that’s something that can be fixed —- Golding will do a good job and I am glad he is here

You all are ridiculous! He’s been here one damn year and lost by 2 , 1 , in OT and double ot has all new players just learning how to play with each other —- honestly I think he just needs two shooters and this team would be completely completely different — not to mention this season is far from over they have shown they can play with anyone in the conference —- if they can hit their free throws we have a much different record and that’s something that can be fixed —- Golding will do a good job and I am glad he is here
I like him. I buy season tickets. But next year we need to see bigly improvement.

Good teams get it done and win. Not so good teams have the “if we”, woulda’s , should have excuses. The if we, should have, and would haves go both ways. If the opponents would have done something different , if they would have done this, their margin of victory would have been larger.

Golding deserves at least 3 years and hopefully he turns it around. But there are many reasons for concern with his performance so far.

Last edited:
On the positive side our defense has been fantastic. Kent State is averaging 74.7 ppg, we held them to 47. UAB averages 86.6 ppg, they had 57 at the end of regulation. Rice scores an average of 82.5 ppg, they had 62 at the end of regulation. LA Tech averages 77.3 ppg, against us they scored 60. This team hustles, plays hard, and, as the games against Rice and LA Tech show, plays until the end, overcoming deficits in each to give them a chance to win.

Unfortunately there are a lot negatives, as everyone has pointed out. While I think that our guys, for the most part, are great athletes, they aren't very good basketball players. We can't shoot, as our 3 point and FT percentages bear out, with the exception of Hamilton our post game consists almost entirely of dunks and layups, and we don't value possessions. Additionally, Sibley has been a monumental disappointment, and Givance and Hardy have also disappointed. Offensively we are a mess.

If the college athletic landscape hadn't completely changed I'd personally be really encouraged by Golding's record at ACU (thanks for the numbers Corona). It shows consistent improvement, and two of those last three records were really good. But I believe that Golding built those teams by finding diamonds in the rough and coaching them up from freshmen, to the point that they were really good players by their junior and senior seasons.

Unfortunately college athletics has completely changed. Some coaches who flourished under the old system will have a hard time with the current transfer rules and NILs. So far Golding hasn't adjusted well to this new reality. I agree that he should get another season, but he needs to recruit much, much better this year, or we will need to find someone who can both recruit and coach in today's environment.

Last edited:
Had a lot of things to say but it was all been summed up pretty well.

Sure he is positive and upbeat, but he doesn't seem to have any control over games and there are no repercussions for his players.

I am a firm believer in the positive reinforcement method of coaching. I think Z is all in on this method and if more players buy in then this team can overcome SOME of its talent issues.

I think he’s a really solid defensive minded coach. I think he lacks the personnel to run things how he wants it run, but look at what he’s doing with who he has.

My sentiments exactly.

There's just nothing there offensively. He went shopping and the cupboard was bare. If you can't score you can't win, no matter how good you play "D".

Preach!

If the college athletic landscape hadn't completely changed I'd personally be really encouraged by Golding's record at ACU (thanks for the numbers Corona). It shows consistent improvement, and two of those last three records were really good. But I believe that Golding built those teams by finding diamonds in the rough and coaching them up from freshmen, to the point that they were really good players by their junior and senior seasons.

Unfortunately college athletics has completely changed. Some coaches who flourished under the old system will have a hard time with the current transfer rules and NILs. So far Golding hasn't adjusted well to this new reality. I agree that he should get another season, but he needs to recruit much, much better this year, or we will need to find someone who can both recruit and coach in today's environment.

Baby steps is how you used to build a program in the old days, when you were a small school. Now you need an instant big three and a big old pile of cash to accomplish it.

Golding at the TCU game tonight, hope he has his team prepared for UTSA.
I don’t mind if the Miners beat UTSA. However, I will mind if they lose. I don’t think a coach should be traveling long distances 2 days before a conference game. Unless it’s to recruit a big time prospect. Not to watch his brother in law coach a football game.

How many UTEP basketball games has Sonny Dykes been to in El Paso? During football season?

I don’t mind if the Miners beat UTSA. However, I will mind if they lose. I don’t think a coach should be traveling long distances 2 days before a conference game. Unless it’s to recruit a big time prospect. Not to watch his brother in law coach a football game.

How many UTEP basketball games has Sonny Dykes been to in El Paso? During football season?
How many national championships has UTEP played in recently?

Reactions: kickballpro

Exactly! Especially when they are on a losing skid. Golding ain’t, the hero we thought he might have been. We are no better off than, with Terry or hell Floyd.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
How many national championships has UTEP played in recently?
It’s irrelevant, as if Bronzeing were coaching in the championship it would be in late March or April. Which is not during the football season.

It’s his brother in law, not his actual brother. Bronzeing is a UTEP employee, his focus should be on UTSA on Wednesday, the game is not Saturday.

Again, UTEP wins on Wednesday, no big deal. Would Dykes fly to El Paso to watch Goldings team play on a Thursday, if he were playing Texas Tech on Saturday?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Exactly! Especially when they are on a losing skid. Golding ain’t, the hero we thought he might have been. We are no better off than, with Terry or hell Floyd.
Let’s not go that far. I am not impressed, but we can see how the rest of this year plays out. Terry at least brought in some really good players - Williams, Boum, Tarke, Bieniemy. Who’s the best that Bronzeing has brought in????

It’s irrelevant, as if Bronzeing were coaching in the championship it would be in late March or April. Which is not during the football season.

It’s his brother in law, not his actual brother. Bronzeing is a UTEP employee, his focus should be on UTSA on Wednesday, the game is not Saturday.

Again, UTEP wins on Wednesday, no big deal. Would Dykes fly to El Paso to watch Goldings team play on a Thursday, if he were playing Texas Tech on Saturday?
Family is first imo. Not that often if ever that a family member coaches a national championship. I’m sure if Golding coached in one his family would be there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT