ADVERTISEMENT

It's Sunday morning....

They don’t care if there’s 40k. They can play in front of 5,000 people at FIU and be happy. Did the defense try stopping the run better on Saturday? Nope.

Pretty much UTEP plays worse when they have big crowds.
Our teams really do play worse in front of big crowds. Every time we have a decent crowd, our teams blow it. I don't remember the last time we won in front of a big crowd.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Our teams really do play worse in front of big crowds. Every time we have a decent crowd, our teams blow it. I don't remember the last time we won in front of a big crowd.
What’s your definition of “big crowd”?

2016 had 30,119 vs NMSU and won. Next home game was a 66-14 loss to Army in front of 37,893.
If you want to call it a “home” game. The week leading up to it, all of UTEP’s promotions were pro-Army. It’s the UTEP way.

If attendance doesn't mean anything why its always being brought up here?
.So you saying if representatives from Mountain West ,Big 12 , or Pac 12 came to visit Utep and they saw a packed Sun Bowl or Haskins center it wouldn't be a positive for Utep?

Revenue for the school, expansion of the budget, expansion of the fan base, makes you a player in the TV revenue/conference race.

Increasing NIL makes you a player in the recruiting wars.

Their is crossover in the Venn Diagram of things. 20 years ago it was Facility wars, now its NIL. But that doesn't mean you don't need Facilities. Shiny Facilities still make Universities attractive. Attendance makes Universities attractive. As does winning. UTEP's neglect of a Long term vision 25 years ago has the University in the situation we are currently in.

I'll go holistic on all this. Attendance isn't the only driving force in recruiting, revenue generation, facilities improvement, etcetera. It used to be a bigger factor than it is now but it's still there. Athletes do want to play in front of big crowds. It builds their egos. But now they also want the NIL money. It's dollars in the pocket and an ego boost. Nice facilities do attract athletes. It attracts fans as well. But it is now more the whole package of attendance, NIL and facilities than ever before. UTEP has done poorly on all three counts in recent times. The last time UTEP was relevant on all counts was around the last time we won a bowl game. Walden had better win us a bowl game by the 60th anniversary of the Miners beating Ole Miss in the Sun Bowl game in 1967. Go Miners.

I'll go holistic on all this. Attendance isn't the only driving force in recruiting, revenue generation, facilities improvement, etcetera. It used to be a bigger factor than it is now but it's still there. Athletes do want to play in front of big crowds. It builds their egos. But now they also want the NIL money. It's dollars in the pocket and an ego boost. Nice facilities do attract athletes. It attracts fans as well. But it is now more the whole package of attendance, NIL and facilities than ever before. UTEP has done poorly on all three counts in recent times. The last time UTEP was relevant on all counts was around the last time we won a bowl game. Walden had better win us a bowl game by the 60th anniversary of the Miners beating Ole Miss in the Sun Bowl game in 1967. Go Miners.
You’re assuming Beam Me Up Scotty will be around by 2027? 🤡

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT