ADVERTISEMENT

Floyd's spin

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
Predictably, Bill Knight provided the platform for Floyd's sugar coating (my paraphrasing):

- Last year I exceeded expectations as a coach by winning 19 games after losing Willms and Hunter.

- There's a national epidemic of transferring, so we're no different.

- Some of the departures were mutual because we couldn't rebound or defend last year.

- Brodericks and McSwiggan produced little, so we're not losing much.

- Our incoming players, however, are going to be great.

- We've fixed rebounding by adding Silva and Jones, and with Matt's return.

- Winn will be back.

- Moore was dumb to go for the NBA as the odds are long.

- Artis, Harris, Touchet and Flaggert are ballers.

- K. Jones will be a top rebounder in CUSA next year.

- This is the norm now in college basketball.

Welcome to Floyd's world -- buying?

Last edited:
Nope.

18 wins. February meltdowns, lack of quality big men since Lang to help Winn (who will have to carry the load again) and getting out performed by NMSU for another year will hopefully seal his fate.

Rice had been improving tremendously the last two years. The more influential boosters do not tolerate losses to Rice in basketball. Floyd loses to them just once, and another lack luster season will get him fired.

Really nice of Floyd to throw Jones and McSwiggan under the bus on the way out. I don't really care what they did last year. We were probably going to have to rely on them to a much greater extent this coming year.

Reactions: unihorn
Floyd is so full of shit. My dislike of him as a person is growing and catching up to my dislike of him as our coach. Becoming hard to separate the two as the program goes down the drain and he takes no responsibility for it.

Can someone remind me what happened with Moultrie? I seem to remember that the rumor was that he told Floyd he was thinking about declaring for the draft and the response was thanks but you're no longer needed here. But, I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be. I'm sure it was a bit more complicated than that.

I didn't read the article but just from what you posted Floyd sounds pretty arrogant for a guy who hasn't made the NCAA Tourney. He may be the only one who believes his own bs at this point.

I didn't read the article but just from what you posted Floyd sounds pretty arrogant for a guy who hasn't made the NCAA Tourney. He may be the only one who believes his own bs at this point.

I paraphrased his comments, but I think I read between the lines pretty accurately.

"This is the norm in college basketball". Yeah if you're Kentucky that loses all Americans to the draft. I really hope Floyd can turn it around but he's had plenty of time smh

Tim Floyd is sly. So he mentions there were approximately 1500 transfers over the last two years. He only exaggerated that by about 250. With 351 D1 schools that equates to roughly 1.75 transfers per year/per team. We nearly doubled the national average. Had he stuck to his guns in regards to Omega, we would have more than doubled the average. I guess he's not counting on people doing the math by throwing those stats out there. And that just takes into account transfers. I'm sure his number players leaving for violations, academics and the "professional ranks" is higher than average also. Not to mention the kids who never even make it to campus.

Also, 19 wins exceeded expectations? With that cream puff, bull shit schedule we just played? With his own description as this being the best shooting team he's ever had, before the season began? There's no way even he can buy his own bull shit.

Some of the departures were mutual? I'm sure Romine was mutual. I have a hard time believing BJ was mutual because his athleticism alone makes his upside much higher than what we saw last season. And there was no way in hell that Moore nor McSwiggan were mutual. Again, TF uses vague language that can't be quantified to really get to the truth of the matter.

I hope he's right on this one as it would help the Miners out tremendously in an area of need, but let's remember to mark this one down. KJ will be one of the top rebounders in CUSA next season, per CTF. And he also says all our incoming freshmen will be good. He says shit like this every year but because it's with such ambiguity that he says this stuff, we never really remember the minutiae.

Like a politician, TF knows exactly what to say but rarely does he paint the whole picture and rarely has he delivered.

If mcswiggan ends up in a power 5 conference with a good school keep thinking Oregon... I can't blame Floyd , someone got to this kid if that's the case.... But if not then I question what's going on with the coaches

Be prepared for Swiggy to greatly contribute to a solid D1 program and piss off Miner fans when they see him in another uniform. I can easily see him helping a Wichita State or help SFA continue to be the best unheralded Texas college basketball team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT