ADVERTISEMENT

Former Utep players Xtweeting

Hopefully they will be back.
"Those days are gone"? They were really never here. Stull, Nord, Price, Kugler and Dimel got UTEP to a bowl; however, at best UTEP had to share a conference crown and Price did have UTEP crack the top 25 for a few days.

Stull got blown out by Wyoming that busted that bubble and a no name qb from future conference mate USM in '88 poured more water on that fire. Stull moved on to Missouri.

Nord got has arse handed to him by TCU rb Tomlinson and lost to Boise (but he did leave behind great recruits that excited the fan base).

Price blew it late in the season and handed Tulsa the conference crown early in his tenure. The win over #12 Houston was nice, but after seven long years he brought no hardware (Colorado, Toledo and BYU beat UTEP in all their bowls under Price).

UNM's pendejada and leaving the Jones' and their young son at an empty dinner table was Kugler's gain. AJ was fun to watch, especially tearing up the bigger fish. Kugler's coaching was not fun.

"Who the F is Dana Dimel?!" blew into El Paso as Jim Senter's new job got off to an inauspicious start. Ok, neither of his predecessor's had to deal with Covid, NIL and trying to figure out a brand spanking new school president. Dimel did have to put up with that. He did great handling Covid, he got around the new NIL by his juco recruiting pipeline who were unknown, under recruited, had an academic issue here and there and wanted a chance. Dimel was no Nord, but he was a good juco recruiter. Like Kugler, Dimel had a pretty much open check book recruiting wise and like Kugler delivered nothing. Senter had big PR campaigns for Dimel: Local, national and sporting podcasts of all sizes. UTEP huge PR promo brought in near sold out opening games back to back as UTEP went on massive PR campaigns. Pictures, 8 x 10 glossies of Dimel, photo op's and one local interview with the local fishwrap from three years ago that was such a political "puff piece" that any political party would be proud to publish nationally. And not even a gawd damn shot at the western divisional crown!

No children, the best for UTEP has not been here since December 30th, 1967 when a UTEP football coach actually, "got it done".

Today, Walden officially brings in his kids. A new chapter starts.

Last edited:
Hopefully Coach Walden and staff capitalize on the positive vibe that he’s created and starts reaching out to former Miner players to be more involved with the program. Reach out to Miner greats who are current and former NFL players to be more engaged with the program by honoring them during games or inviting them to speak to players and fans. There are also former Miner players who are HS coaches that can help in the recruiting process.

I don’t understand why UTEP shows a half empty Sun Bowl on TV commercials that air during televised UTEP games. That’s just plain stupid and lazy. There’s plenty of videos showing large crowds at the SB. Hopefully Walden can start winning consistently to bring back large crowds at the SB. I really miss those days…

Maybe Price didn’t win a bowl game, but I probably speak for a lot of fans when I say that was the most fun I’ve had watching UTEP football. The games were fun and during those two years I felt like they had a puncher’s chance vs anyone.

Agreed! I still remember the Oklahoma game in 2012 and thought UTEP was going to win. We have come a long way to hanging with Top 5 teams.

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Maybe Price didn’t win a bowl game, but I probably speak for a lot of fans when I say that was the most fun I’ve had watching UTEP football. The games were fun and during those two years I felt like they had a puncher’s chance vs anyone.
That Houston Bowl was fun and Utep's best chance at winning a bowl besides 2 years ago against Fresno

You’re absolutely right. Those first two years under Price were truly special. The Miners cracked the top 25 for the first time in school history. UTEP was averaging 40k+ fans. UTEP football was the hottest ticket in town and tailgating was fun. It was the first time in my lifetime that UTEP football felt like a big time program. We were one of the top mid-majors in the country. The Sun Bowl was rocking and crowds were loud. The SB was a tough place to play for opponents.

I remember making that trip to the Houston Bowl and seeing a ton of Miner fans from all over the country. We had a lot more fans than Colorado. We led most of the game and lost it in the last few minutes. I wonder how things would have turned out if UTEP would have beaten CU. On year three we also played a ranked TTech team tough and lost by 3 points in OT.

I may be the Debbie downer here but I’m not a fan of the running into the student section for a regular season win. I get it, they’re excited, we played well against our rivals, we won by 25, but we’re celebrating like the lakers did winning that in season cup and it was all for nothing because the season is still being played and everyone forgot about it lol

I may be the Debbie downer here but I’m not a fan of the running into the student section for a regular season win. I get it, they’re excited, we played well against our rivals, we won by 25, but we’re celebrating like the lakers did winning that in season cup and it was all for nothing because the season is still being played and everyone forgot about it lol
I’m surprised fans didn’t storm the court 🤡

I think the running into the stands is more of an appreciation and a thank you to the students that were there. Let’s face it, the student section is very inconsistent with attendance and I think it’s just a way for the team to try and engage with them, hopefully luring some of those students to keep coming back.

I have to agree with you. I was definitely happy that UTEP beat NMSU, but NMSU is 11-13. I think it's a little silly for the players running into the crowd after the game.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Lets Go Sport GIF by NBA

Reactions: MINER.JAY
"Those days are gone"? They were really never here. Stull, Nord, Price, Kugler and Dimel got UTEP to a bowl; however, at best UTEP had to share a conference crown and Price did have UTEP crack the top 25 for a few days.

Stull got blown out by Wyoming that busted that bubble and a no name qb from future conference mate USM in '88 poured more water on that fire. Stull moved on to Missouri.

Nord got has arse handed to him by TCU rb Tomlinson and lost to Boise (but he did leave behind great recruits that excited the fan base).

Price blew it late in the season and handed Tulsa the conference crown early in his tenure. The win over #12 Houston was nice, but after seven long years he brought no hardware (Colorado, Toledo and BYU beat UTEP in all their bowls under Price).

UNM's pendejada and leaving the Jones' and their young son at an empty dinner table was Kugler's gain. AJ was fun to watch, especially tearing up the bigger fish. Kugler's coaching was not fun.

"Who the F is Dana Dimel?!" blew into El Paso as Jim Senter's new job got off to an inauspicious start. Ok, neither of his predecessor's had to deal with Covid, NIL and trying to figure out a brand spanking new school president. Dimel did have to put up with that. He did great handling Covid, he got around the new NIL by his juco recruiting pipeline who were unknown, under recruited, had an academic issue here and there and wanted a chance. Dimel was no Nord, but he was a good juco recruiter. Like Kugler, Dimel had a pretty much open check book recruiting wise and like Kugler delivered nothing. Senter had big PR campaigns for Dimel: Local, national and sporting podcasts of all sizes. UTEP huge PR promo brought in near sold out opening games back to back as UTEP went on massive PR campaigns. Pictures, 8 x 10 glossies of Dimel, photo op's and one local interview with the local fishwrap from three years ago that was such a political "puff piece" that any political party would be proud to publish nationally. And not even a gawd damn shot at the western divisional crown!

No children, the best for UTEP has not been here since December 30th, 1967 when a UTEP football coach actually, "got it done".

Today, Walden officially brings in his kids. A new chapter starts.
That no name quarterback from Southern Miss was none other than Brett Favre.

I get it, but....
I think the players should do it for EVERY home win. Be involved. Get your fellow students involved. Make it a tradition.

No one is suggesting they go crazy after every win. The football team goes and sings the Miner fight song after every game.
They can go into the crowd do a few high five and fist pumps, thank the people and hit the locker room.
The kids in the crowd would love it. That’s how you build a following.

No one is suggesting they go crazy after every win. The football team goes and sings the Miner fight song after every game.
They can go into the crowd do a few high five and fist pumps, thank the people and hit the locker room.
The kids in the crowd would love it. That’s how you build a following.

You build a following by winning games. Running into the crowd and celebrating wins against USAO and Western New Mexico isn't it. I just think that would be silly.

Well, we will just disagree. Not arguing about winning, I’ve said a hundred times on here that’s solves 99% of your problems.
But getting the fans to fell like they are appreciated is part of the solution.

Well, we will just disagree. Not arguing about winning, I’ve said a hundred times on here that’s solves 99% of your problems.
But getting the fans to fell like they are appreciated is part of the solution.

I'll agree to disagree. Nobody is wrong. Glad to hear different opinions about this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT