ADVERTISEMENT

Fresno Bee: UTEP?! Why UTEP?!

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/col...ate/bulldogs-basketball/article204056159.html

They know exactly why.

"Yet despite the recent surge of success, Fresno State has struggled to fill the Save Mart Center."

"Fresno State’s attendance issues have become quite a concern. This season’s average home attendance was 6,032 people – by far the lowest mark since the Bulldogs started playing games at the Save Mart Center in 2003.

In its heyday, based on attendance at the $100 million-plus arena, Fresno State averaged 11,713 during the 2006-07 season."

UTEP's avg. home attendance during this 17-18 horrid year: 6021 [http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/conferenceusa.com/documents/2018/1/5/MBB_C_USA_Only.pdf]

With the issues FS had, and what he’s done, I wouldn’t mind him coming on board. Not splashy but solid.

What if he is getting fired. He is in his 6th year at Fresno and hasnt had great success. I think if he was coaching at UTEP with that record he would be in the hot seat.

What if he is getting fired. He is in his 6th year at Fresno and hasnt had great success. I think if he was coaching at UTEP with that record he would be in the hot seat.

On the hot seat at UTEP? The previous two years Fresno State made the NCAA Tournament and the NIT. Floyd never had back to back success like that, and how long did he last here? Terry certainly wouldn't be on the seat at UTEP.

Haha really... hasn’t had great success.???
-6 seasons at Fresno... 4 of those were 20+ win seasons. The MW is much tougher and he inherited a program just off of probation.
-In the last 3 years, 3, 20 plus win seasons with 1 NCAA and 1 NIT appearance.
- All of that mentioned above accomplished with a recruiting budget in the lower third of the Mountain West.
- signed a 5 year contract extension in Dec 2016
—He ain’t on the hot seat at Fresno and wouldn’t be on the hot seat at UTEP with what he has done at Fresno.

Haha really... hasn’t had great success.???
-6 seasons at Fresno... 4 of those were 20+ win seasons. The MW is much tougher and he inherited a program just off of probation.
-In the last 3 years, 3, 20 plus win seasons with 1 NCAA and 1 NIT appearance.
- All of that mentioned above accomplished with a recruiting budget in the lower third of the Mountain West.
- signed a 5 year contract extension in Dec 2016
—He ain’t on the hot seat at Fresno and wouldn’t be on the hot seat at UTEP with what he has done at Fresno.

Didnt floyd have have more winning seasons and floyd went to Nit i think twice? Only difference is Floyd didnt make tourney. Arent Fresno State fans frustrated with him? They dont seem to mad if he left.

Didnt floyd have have more winning seasons and floyd went to Nit i think twice? Only difference is Floyd didnt make tourney. Arent Fresno State fans frustrated with him? They dont seem to mad if he left.
That only difference is a huge difference. Terry got the job done and won the MW tourney and got into the NCAA tourney. Floyd had early exits in CUSA tournies. Put Floyd’s teams in the MW with a decrease of 800k in his recruiting budgets, and his winning seasons decrease. Terry did more with less in a tougher conference top to bottom. Floyd did absolutely nothing with more in a weaker conference. As for the Fresno fans being frustrated and not mad about Terry leaving..... are u not seeing enough social media posts???? Fresno fans don’t give a shit about basketball and don’t show up to games, so they sure as hell aren’t going to be on social media venting their frustrations.

That only difference is a huge difference. Terry got the job done and won the MW tourney and got into the NCAA tourney. Floyd had early exits in CUSA tournies. Put Floyd’s teams in the MW with a decrease of 800k in his recruiting budgets, and his winning seasons decrease. Terry did more with less in a tougher conference top to bottom. Floyd did absolutely nothing with more in a weaker conference. As for the Fresno fans being frustrated and not mad about Terry leaving..... are u not seeing enough social media posts???? Fresno fans don’t give a shit about basketball and don’t show up to games, so they sure as hell aren’t going to be on social media venting their frustrations.

Making the tourney once is not a huge difference.Fresno got knocked in 1st round.
I dont think Mountain West is better. Its even . just look at the resumes they are not that much different. Actually Tim has a better winning % . Do you think if Terry stays Fresno and finishes in the middle of the pack again and doesnt make the NCAAs. Then do you think he is in the Hot Seat?

Making the tourney once is not a huge difference.Fresno got knocked in 1st round.
I dont think Mountain West is better. Its even . just look at the resumes they are not that much different. Actually Tim has a better winning % . Do you think if Terry stays Fresno and finishes in the middle of the pack again and doesnt make the NCAAs. Then do you think he is in the Hot Seat?
Terry took over Fresno St when they had just had 4 losing seasons in a row and just coming off probation. He's done a good job rebuilding that program and ended the season on an off note partially due to losing the starting PG late. Tim took over a very good UTEP team and eventually ran it into the ground. And the MWC is rated 9th to C-USA 15th by realtime rpi. Some years there have been 2 or more MWC teams make the NCAA tournament. That never happens in C-USA. Hopefully it will this year but I doubt it.

Do you think if Terry stays Fresno and finishes in the middle of the pack again and doesnt make the NCAAs. Then do you think he is in the Hot Seat?
Nope not at all. Obviously Fresno is very happy with him because if they weren’t they wouldn’t have signed him to a 5 year contract extension a little over a year ago. Give him a recruiting budget equivalent to the top MW recruiting budgets instead of the bottom 3rd, and you have much different results in the MW. He is doing more with less at Fresno and his seat isn’t even warm. Fresno is a football school, they don’t care about basketball. Terry will do great at a basketball first school with an increase of $800,000 in his recruiting budget.
If you put Floyd at Fresno with a recruiting budget in the bottom third of the conference for the past 6 years, Fresno would be hovering at the .500 mark year after year. Terry beat Floyd at the Don in the CBI a few years back. It just proves a Terry team is better than a Floyd team with less resources to work with.

Last edited:
When was the last time we won 20. Enough said!

When was the last time we won 20. Enough said![/QUOTE]
Not in the last 3 seasons! I remember a time when some of us were complaing about AVERAGING 20 wins a year and how that was not enough to meet our expectations. I still think that way, but look at us now.

I think we have ( and have had fine players). Good enough players to win a lot. It was just the turmoil around Floyd and then Johnson that always screwed everything up.

If Terry gets hired and turns things around then awesome. It just can not take 4-5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmanminer
Terry is recruiting a 4* C Majur Majak, if he can somehow convince him to come to The Miners that may be a good pickup.

I dont think Mountain West is better. Its even .
Apparently the NCAA selection committee doesn’t think their equal. The MW just got 2 teams in the Tournament and Neveda got an at large bid with a 7 th seed. The MW is better.

Apparently the NCAA selection committee doesn’t think their equal. The MW just got 2 teams in the Tournament and Neveda got an at large bid with a 7 th seed. The MW is better.

Isn't that why we want in that conference?

I am not impressed with Terry. I would rather like to see an assitant from a B5 school who can recruit.
It is crazy comparing Floyd with Terry.

GO Miners...

Reactions: Get2Paydirt
Not true this year for CUSA.

"Marshall wound up defeating Western Kentucky (which MTSU swept in the regular season) in the conference championship game on Saturday night, and even that hurt the Blue Raiders. Had WKU won, it would have given MTSU a 3-3 record against teams in the NCAA tournament. Instead, it finished with a 1-5 record against such teams..." http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/col...ent-bracket-middle-tennessee-state/413745002/

A NCAA committee member specifically, specifically pointed out this very fact just a while ago on TNT ( when Barkley was mystified how OU got in segment of show. I'm mystified too becuase they went 2-8 in the end but the NCAA "look at the entire body of work"). Their coach was stating "we did everything the NCAA committee asks". He left out the second part, win them. They lost to USC, Auburn, and a ranked Miami team (You have to win those against a ranked team early). They won against Vandy and Ole Miss. Those teams were at the bottom of the SEC with 12-20 records. But it was still a good season.

On top of that SDSU is a higher seed than Marshall.

C-USA will never be a multi-bid league this season cemented it. The regular season is meaningless.
It's not a complete meritocracy, but CUSA could become a 2 or even a 3 team league. They just have to start winning. And it starts with UTEP. We have to win before we have any right to complain about our conference or the system.

Has anyone seen the players that Ogden is reportedly responsible for recruiting. Who knows how much he influenced them but Avery Bradley, and pre-Kardashian Tristan Thompson. Now that Fresnos season is over id say if by Friday we hear nothing, they are waiting on someone still playing. My hope Ogden. This week we should hear a name.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Has anyone seen the players that Ogden is reportedly responsible for recruiting. Who knows how much he influenced them but Avery Bradley, and pre-Kardashian Tristan Thompson. Now that Fresnos season is over id say if by Friday we hear nothing, they are waiting on someone still playing. My hope Ogden. This week we should hear a name.

I’m still hopeful that it’ll be Ogden too.

Reactions: axingfools1
There is still plenty of time to wait. We got a FB coach in December so what’s a couple of weeks if you can get the best candidate?

Reactions: EPTUTEP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT