ADVERTISEMENT

From Anger to Apathy : One Man's 35 Year Journey as a Miner BB Fan

The problem for the program is the older fans who experienced flashes of greatness aren't being replaced.

Agree. And for good reason. The buzz around Miner ball has been declining steadily for 6-7 years. Hard to develop a sense of community and fandom with results like that.

Reactions: miner1liner
Gotcha by 20 years. Been at it since 1961and echo your sentiments. See my post under "OK part#2".

Yeah, I read your post. You make some good points and you asked even better questions that go directly to the heart of the problem, imo.

I came to El Paso in the summer of 1987 to go to UTEP almost 30 years ago, the summer Jeep Jackson died. I wanted to attend UTEP because my high school librarian had told me about coach Haskins and the 66 team. When that season started I went to the first home game. The very first play of that game, I saw Chris Blocker get the ball on the left wing from Hardaway, take one dribble and two steps along the baseline, go up and tap the ball off the backboard before slamming it backwards. At the tender age of 19, my transition from casual observer to Miner faithful was complete...until now. After 29 years and glorious ups and downs I have lost complete faith in the program and the people that lead it. I won't spend any more money on UTEP athletics until such time as they begin to respect the fans again.

Bob Stull is like Hospice as he presides over the slow death of UTEP MBB, and maybe athletics. He does nothing while saying everything will be alright. Has he lost what ever zeal he had for the job?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT