ADVERTISEMENT

Help me out, what is a "dunk down" symbol?

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
Reading Bill Knights idiotic summary of the game, he referenced the dunk down symbol as the universal sign for a made basket. I played HS basketball, have followed basketball for over 35 years, officiate HS basketball, and no manual, training material, handbook or any other material references a "dunk down". I even Googled it.

Did he just make that up? Why not just call it a floydstullian symbol, oh wait that is already taken, that's the universal sign for something being inserted in your rectum and being forced to thank the person for doing so. Think of Negan from Walking Dead.

My guess would be the signal the referee would make with his arm after a player scores and he is fouled, he informs the scorekeeper of the foul and says count the basket by making a gesture with his arm moving downward. That's my guess.

Usually you see it when a player is fouled in the act of shooting and the shot goes in so the scorekeeper knows to count the basket and the player gets one shot to potentially get the 3 point play.

The ref did the same hand signal when the last basket in the FIU game was ruled good. Until now I've never heard it referred to as a "dunk down" though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT