ADVERTISEMENT

How Kansas State does it

JUCO's, JUCO's, JUCO's. Worked great his first stint and second stint. Never really took notice of their location to good JUCO programs. Playing father figure to the trouble recruit works for him. Obviously he knew it worked for Osborne in Nebraska in Lincoln, why not Manhattan Kansas?

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Some mentioned in the thread on Boise St that UTEP's situation might be closer to the Kansas St one.

Here is another interesting read on how Bill Snyder and the Wildcats are so competitive in the Big 12.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...ildcats-jake-waters-tyler-lockett-bill-snyder

Make UTEP Juco U! Recruiting is the key to everything, it makes or breaks a program and at the end of day what we are currently doing isn't working so perhaps the right model for UTEP is the K State model.

UTEP, Juco U!

I would compare UTEP to where TCU was in the 80's and 90's. The were a 1 or 2 win team every year in the 80's and averaged 5 wins every year in the 90's. I know their athletic budget is much larger than what UTEP will ever have but the state of the program was similar. All it took was the right coach with the right mind set and look where they are now. I do not think UTEP will ever be a top 10 team but they could win the conference every year with the right staff. It all starts from the top. If the AD is a joke then everyone else below him will be a joke too.

I think UTEP needs to clean shop in the AD's office completely and bring in people who have a vision for the future and are more in tune with the game of college footbal today.

TCU brought in Chris Del Conte as AD from Rice in 2009 and changed all of the TCU athletics for the better.

TCU was a "schedule filler" during these years like UTEP is now. It's funny how a strong and creative leader can change everything for the better.

Last edited:
TCU is private, you have a huge advantage on how you fund athletics, admissions and how you run a program. UTEP is a state school and what you can and cannot do hinders a program. Plus you have to disclose to the university and in public. Private schools don't have to answer to this so they can "sweep a bit under the table and nobody is the wiser". You do this a state school you get slapped, embarrassed and then fired. It takes more than leadership, or a "grand plan". TCU had a huge endowment, like Rice and Baylor, but for many years they choose not to leverage it for athletics, dropping enrolment, being dumped by the old southwest conference and fear of becoming nonfactor prompted TCU to invest heavy in sports, mostly football. Baylor got the Big 12 invite and this was a bit of slap to TCU. Funny SMU didn't figure this out until it was too late and being burned by scandal, NCAA death they should have been in TCU's place. Rice it appears has picked another path. TCU was lucky in many respects, but they did have enough foresight to see what was happening or by luck made the right choices. Not sure this was just on the athletic director, I'm sure the alums, president and donor were responsible for what happened. A&M, Colorado, Missouri and Nebraska leaving the Big 12, which opened the door for TCU, well nobody saw that coming.

TCU is private, you have a huge advantage on how you fund athletics, admissions and how you run a program. UTEP is a state school and what you can and cannot do hinders a program. Plus you have to disclose to the university and in public. Private schools don't have to answer to this so they can "sweep a bit under the table and nobody is the wiser". You do this a state school you get slapped, embarrassed and then fired. It takes more than leadership, or a "grand plan". TCU had a huge endowment, like Rice and Baylor, but for many years they choose not to leverage it for athletics, dropping enrolment, being dumped by the old southwest conference and fear of becoming nonfactor prompted TCU to invest heavy in sports, mostly football. Baylor got the Big 12 invite and this was a bit of slap to TCU. Funny SMU didn't figure this out until it was too late and being burned by scandal, NCAA death they should have been in TCU's place. Rice it appears has picked another path. TCU was lucky in many respects, but they did have enough foresight to see what was happening or by luck made the right choices. Not sure this was just on the athletic director, I'm sure the alums, president and donor were responsible for what happened. A&M, Colorado, Missouri and Nebraska leaving the Big 12, which opened the door for TCU, well nobody saw that coming.

Plus they have a smart coach who is defense-minded, realized his offensive philosophy was failing, canned his OC and completely turned over the offense to an OC that knows how to run a spread, which Patterson didn't.

Reactions: LaserCoog

Like I said, money aside the programs were in the same state. All i was trying to compare is that TCU had a shi**y situation in the AD's office and they gutted it. UTEP needs to do the same and start fresh.

Plus they have a smart coach who is defense-minded, realized his offensive philosophy was failing, canned his OC and completely turned over the offense to an OC that knows how to run a spread, which Patterson didn't.

So youre saying there is not another coach out there that could turn UTEP's program around? Everyone knew Patterson was a defensive minded coach but didn't see his full potential until he took over. I bet there are some coordinators or assistants somewhere in the country who are just as smart.

TCU wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for Dennis Franchione. He was the former coach at UNM and put UNM on the map, at that time, as well. Franchione brought in that little unkown rb at the time that put UTEP on all sports TV highlights, for all the wrong reasons, LaDamian Tomlinson. He ran for over 400 yard on UTEP. Fran convinced Sun Bowl committee to invite them to play against USC. USC laughed and wasn't happy. TCU laughed last as they toppled the mighty Trojans. "Trojan maaaaaann!"....sorry, couldn't help it....anyways, Franchione recommended Patterson and the rest is history.

So youre saying there is not another coach out there that could turn UTEP's program around? Everyone knew Patterson was a defensive minded coach but didn't see his full potential until he took over. I bet there are some coordinators or assistants somewhere in the country who are just as smart.

Of course there is. I'm simply saying Patterson deserves much credit for TCU's turnaround.

Ok well all I am trying to get to is that UTEP's AD's office is stuck in the past and needs to be refreshed. Bring in some younger people and a new AD and totally revamp UTEP's marketing, uniforms, and athletic programs.

TCU wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for Dennis Franchione. He was the former coach at UNM and put UNM on the map, at that time, as well. Franchione brought in that little unkown rb at the time that put UTEP on all sports TV highlights, for all the wrong reasons, LaDamian Tomlinson. He ran for over 400 yard on UTEP. Fran convinced Sun Bowl committee to invite them to play against USC. USC laughed and wasn't happy. TCU laughed last as they toppled the mighty Trojans. "Trojan maaaann....sorry, couldn't help it....anyways, Franchione recommended Patterson and the rest is history.

I was at that UTEP vs. TCU game, and yes, Coach Fran deserves credit too.

Make UTEP Juco U! Recruiting is the key to everything, it makes or breaks a program and at the end of day what we are currently doing isn't working so perhaps the right model for UTEP is the K State model.

UTEP, Juco U!
if I remember correctly, that's how Bobby Dobbs did it!

Coach Fran was also pretty defensive minded and run oriented if I recall. TCU has money, is private and most importantly they sit in the middle of one of the most recruit rich areas in the US. I agree UTEP needs to shake things up Athletics wise but comparing the two schools is a bit pointless. The best thing TCU did to bring them out of the doldrums was, when they had a big win or a success they built around it. Like the Sun Bowl win over USC (which if I recall, TCU attempted something like 6 passes). UTEP has not got that signature win in 30+ years. We came close, like the Houston Bowl loss to Colorado and Texas Tech a few years back. We win that game, Price and UTEP would have enhanced their REP and we could have stepped it up. After the USC win, TCU won @OU, gave other big schools a scare and found themselves in the national picture, so much so that they got the invite to big time football. Anyway that's how I see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT