ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't know UTEP football had the "Village Inn" logo on their helmet in'93?

Are we talking about the Pete on the logos or the actual physical mascot?

The old "Sweet Pete" was seen as embarrassing and the suit was very awkward. When he got knocked over once at a game he was unable to get up; much like a turtle. This was why it was petitioned to replace him. In the late 80s up to 2000 we had the "Jay Leno" Pete. The problem was that there was only the one suit. It was a very uncomfortable head and by 1994 it seriously stunk to the point where it was becoming difficult to recruit new mascot people. When the new UTEP logo was introduced this Pete was retired. Next came the mostly forgotten "homeless" Pete. This one no longer wore a mining helmet. One of the mascots had been on the cheer squad and wanted a suit flexible enough to tumble in. This one didn't last long. People didn't like it. This brought in the current Pete. This one has been a favorite because Pete can now wear different clothes pertaining to different sports. This one has also lasted longer because there are three copies of the suit. He was a huge hit at the Final Four last year.

I believe at least one of the old suits is on display in the Haskins Center.

20140908__EPT-L-UTEPcolumn-0900p2_GALLERY.jpg
paydirtpeteold.jpg
20140908__EPT-L-UTEPcolumn-0900p1_GALLERY.jpg
petederanged.bmp
87f3f17fe5d24f2ee18f09451d9271a8.jpg

This is the most exciting off-season in recent memory.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Pete is a more "recent" tradition, but one of few to have lasted. Thanks for posting. I'm sharing these with the current Team Pete now.

My family refers to the top one as "Gabby Johnson", from a character with that name in Blazing Saddles.

Reactions: Cube Jack
The "Sweet Pete" from the first picture often had females in the suit. It was made short so many college men didn't fit well.

When was it that Jerry Garcia got the Paydirt Pete gig?

Is this a 4/20 reference? I was waiting for someone to say something today on here. I mean, we put scantily clad women and make references as to the validity of employment of some of our mothers on here, why not include an unofficial holiday to get stoned?

Is this a 4/20 reference? I was waiting for someone to say something today on here. I mean, we put scantily clad women and make references as to the validity of employment of some of our mothers on here, why not include an unofficial holiday to get stoned?

I like your style. In fact I contemplated just outright posting "Happy FoUr tWenTy" on here! I celebrated the unofficial holiday/holiday.:cool:

Reactions: miner661
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT