ADVERTISEMENT

If no FB season in 2020

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Will UTEP be able to keep the athletic department intact? Some schools are talking about losing so much revenue for athletics that coaches and administrators will only receive partial pay. A rich school like Wisconsin will not keep scholarships for spring sports grads even though the ncaa says they are allowed to. What will be the damage to UTEP's athletic dept. Then for the rest of the univ with maybe no students on campus, loss of some or most tuition, how does UTEP COPE?

It will be catastrophic. Especially if the Tech and UT games are cancelled. A CUSA only schedule would suck, but at least they would get some revenue.

Will UTEP be able to keep the athletic department intact? Some schools are talking about losing so much revenue for athletics that coaches and administrators will only receive partial pay. A rich school like Wisconsin will not keep scholarships for spring sports grads even though the ncaa says they are allowed to. What will be the damage to UTEP's athletic dept. Then for the rest of the univ with maybe no students on campus, loss of some or most tuition, how does UTEP COPE?
UTEP will be ok. They don't have a lot of programs and no mens baseball. Furoughing AD staff, restructuring of contracts and personnel is realistic.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Football is what keeps this sinking ship afloat. No CFB means no conference TV revenue, I would assume. No season ticket revenue, no concessions... etc. If there is no football, would it be safe to assume there may be no fall semester at major universities? You would think that would hurt a lot of schools on the academic side as well. As disastrous as it would be at UTEP, how bad would it be for schools who use money from academics to offset athletics, or schools who rely on student fees? That’s going to be a double whammy for a lot of schools.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
You'd think all those NFL billionaires would prop-up their feeder league.

There will be no football nor basketball. I have accepted it. D1 sports, especially FBS, will suffer and anger will grow.

I feel ODU and UTSA may be hit hard but UTEP and LA Tech might be ok because they dealt and still deal with budget challenges for years if not decades. Men's baseball and non cash cow sports including smaller women's sports programs (like seen at NMSU) will shutter to save football and men's basketball.

There will be no football nor basketball. I have accepted it. D1 sports, especially FBS, will suffer and anger will grow.

I feel ODU and UTSA may be hit hard but UTEP and LA Tech might be ok because they dealt and still deal with budget challenges for years if not decades. Men's baseball and non cash cow sports including smaller women's sports programs (like seen at NMSU) will shutter to save football and men's basketball.

That’s the whole point of Title IX. You think feminist interests groups are going to allow smaller women’s sports go away? Surely you’re joking or you have brain damage. Women’s sports aren’t going away so high priced men’s coaches around the country can keep their jobs.

Dumb question. How does a football program that operates at a 4+ million loss per year cost more money by not operating? Wouldn’t we save money by not having the season?

Football can’t even sustain itself how the hell does it sustain the entire athletic department?

Ticket sales and NCAA/CUSA distributions cover less than half the debt the football program produces.

Dumb question. How does a football program that operates at a 4+ million loss per year cost more money by not operating? Wouldn’t we save money by not having the season?

Football can’t even sustain itself how the hell does it sustain the entire athletic department?

Ticket sales and NCAA/CUSA distributions cover less than half the debt the football program produces.

Where are you getting this $4,000,000 loss per year number?

Where are you getting this $4,000,000 loss per year number?
From the Texas Tribune report they did a few years ago. I don’t think the figures have changed much. If they did they are probably worse since the report was from the last season we won more than a game in a year. Since then we’ve gone 2-34 so I highly doubt we’ve closed the debt gap.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
From the Texas Tribune report they did a few years ago. I don’t think the figures have changed much. If they did they are probably worse since the report was from the last season we won more than a game in a year. Since then we’ve gone 2-34 so I highly doubt we’ve closed the debt gap.

I seriously doubt those numbers are entirely accurate. As you said, there’s no way the university could eat $4,000,000 every single year in football and then have all the women’s sports drain money as well. If the number is entirely true, then it should be killed immediately. If we totally ****ing suck and are losing $4m per year, there’s no way to justify keeping it running.

There is a previous thread from another topic that has La Tech and ODU info but ODU cut mens wrestling.

"This month, the NCAA was going to start distributing about $600 million to its Division 1 member schools, like Old Dominion. But with the cash-cow men's basketball tournament canceled, along with spring championships, the figure plummeted to $225 million. It helped seal ODU wrestling's fate, and left athletic departments everywhere, scrambling...."

UTEP is in better shape than most because we only sponsor the bare minimum number of sports to be d1.

Schools with much broader sports portfolios will be hurt worse. Most schools sponsor more sports than UTEP.

Reactions: utep2step
UTEP is in better shape than most because we only sponsor the bare minimum number of sports to be d1.

Schools with much broader sports portfolios will be hurt worse. Most schools sponsor more sports than UTEP.

Umm, no it’s not. UTEP is a G5 bottom dweller. They are definitely not in better shape than most.

NoNCAAWinsSince1992.....

You really are that stupid.

CarelessFittingCranefly-small.gif

You don't need a vaccine or a treatment for fall football season. What you do have to have is testing ramped up where everyone can be tested. Then you need somewhere in the neighborhood 100,000-150,000 people to conduct contact tracing on those who get the virus. As big of cluster f*** and outright disgrace the availability of testing as been, I do think that can remedied by August. The bigger issue is the contact tracing infrastructure. That's harder to build but I think that network can be built up especially with all the people who will be unemployed. I'm sure it will be funded in future stimulous. I think there will be NFL and college football come september.

St.Edward's in Austin has no football team, but just cut their men's soccer, men's and women's golf and men's and women's tennis programs due to the financial loss from COVID-19

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT