ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate eligibility for D1 transfers?

I prefer it to the my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who's sick so let me play immediately stuff. The waiver system is a joke.

Last edited:
I would guess this could potentially create a bigger issue with colleges starting to recruit other college players on a greater scale than is being done today. This could also bring in a whole new level of issues with trying to police schools recruiting other school's players.

I also wonder if position coaches will become even more valuable now and used as a way to recruit other school's players. UTEP had 2 football commits reference a position coach change when they decommitted. Tennessee and Texas A&M have been battling over recruiting the top RB in the nation(Zach Evans), so last month Tennessee hired the Texas A&M coach who had been Evans primary recruiter at A&M, to become the RB coach at Tennessee. This RB coach was also a former Tennessee player as well, but the fact that they are in a heated battle for the #1 player likely had some influence in offering him a pay raise to come over.

If a Big 12 team needs a QB and North Texas has a great Senior QB, then what will stop them from recruiting him and/or hiring his position coach for a one year $550,000 deal(which is the amount that Tennessee offered their new RB coach). That $550,000 might also be a couple hundred thousand more than what the Assistant was making at North Texas.

UTEP has not been winning, so it is hard to say that this would hurt them. But with the way that Dimel is recruiting, if he is to ever get things going here, then I would think that this rule could only hurt for the sole reason that Dimel is doing most of his recruiting through evaluating players as opposed to just beating other schools head-to-head for recruits. So if Dimel truly turns out to be a good evaluator and these under the radar kids pan out at the D1 level as he hopes, then what will stop these kids from wanting to enter the transfer portal and being recruited by a lot of schools, for what would really be the first time(since they weren't heavily recruited out of high school)? Dimel(and UTEP in general) is having to currently win recruiting by just doing a better job of evaluating/projecting/taking chances on over-looked players hoping that they will pan out with a few years of development. But what will happen after they prove them selves as being overlooked once they start to perform at the D1 level? Does UTEP essentially become a Junior College at that point, where we take the chance on recruiting some overlooked kids, but then we lose the 5 or 6 kids who pan out each year?

Last edited:
I wonder if there could be some way to provide an incentive to the students who remain at a school longer? Or maybe something that would give the initial school that recruited them/took a chance on them, a slight advantage in maybe being able to offer more to a 3rd year student, over a school that is just coming in for them on the final year or two of their eligibility?

It used to be that if you graduated from a school, then you could become immediately eligible by transferring to another school as a Grad Transfer. The students generally had to stay at that previous school for a number of years in order to graduate and gain that benefit. There was at least an incentive for the student to stay at a school longer. That same incentive will now be given to everybody regardless if they were at their initial school for 1 year or 3 years.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT