ADVERTISEMENT

Incarnate Turd

Doesn’t say anything about fans not caring. It doesn’t matter if a school recognizes vacated wins what matters is if the NCAA does.

The school still celebrates those wins, even if there is an asterisk. That's all the really matters.

Roger Maris held the season total for the most home runs, even if there was an asterisk next to his name.

It’s okay for a school to celebrate a vacated win but it’s not okay for a fan base to celebrate a National Championship. Gotcha.

huh?????

You can celebrate it, but not all the time.

I don't like that it's mentioned at every game. It should be stated at the first fame of the season and that's it.

You sure seem to ignore the fact the NCAA has vacated several of NMSU’s NCAA tournament wins. NMSU is rated #6 by the amount of vacated wins they have in their name. Having more vacated games than Memphis and previously led TF’s USC.

Even with the vacated appearances they still have more appearances than us.

We’re back full circle. NMSU and UTEP both have similar basketball history. With the difference being and I quote

“Take out the 1966 team and tell me what history UTEP has?

It's nauseating to hear people who live in the past.”

Even though NMSU hasn’t officially won an NCAA tournament game in almost half a century.

And I quote again

“I have never belittled UTEP.”

Yet according to you they have more history and recent history than UTEP.

All I did was debate this statement: 14 conference championships and 17 NCAA tournament appearances. Not too many teams have that type of history.

NMSU won a tournament game in *1993.

NMSU has more recent history in the tournament than UTEP. Not sure what you're trying to argue. It's not "according to me", it's just the facts.

So then you agree that your original statement of UTEP having no history aside from the 1966 National Championship is incorrect.

Since both NMSU and UTEP have similar NCAA Tournament appearances.

I’m glad you could see things for what they are.

Not incorrect.

I don't live in the past and relish in what happened over 20 years. I care about the recent past and present

UTEP hasn't beaten NMSU in 3 years. That's what I care about right now and I want that to change.

huh???? What the heck are you talking about?
You love comparing UTEP to NMSU and talking down on the National Championship.

The fact remains NMSU only has three more NCAA appearances than UTEP. NMSU hasn’t officially won an NCAA tournament game in close to 50 years.

It’s either we both have history or we both don’t have it. Make up your mind.

Reactions: develman
You love comparing UTEP to NMSU and talking down on the National Championship.

The fact remains NMSU only has three more NCAA appearances than UTEP. NMSU hasn’t officially won an NCAA tournament game in close to 50 years.

It’s either we both have history or we both don’t have it. Make up your mind.

I'm not talking down anything, I'm just saying it gets old mentioning it all the time.

Take out the 66 team and neither school is a historic team.

All I care about right now is the present and NMSU is consistently going to the postseason and UTEP is not.

Those are good programs. But let’s even out the field. Which G5 universities that have FBS football would you consider a traditionally good program?

I know UConn, SDSU, UNLV, UNM, and Cincinnati will come to mind right away.

That's a topic that deserves its own thread.

Half your statement is true, and the other half shows your an Idiot! No recent success Very True, No Good Basketball history besides 66 completely false and show's your a troll with no knowledge of Utep and therefore shouldn't make comments that you apparently don't know anything about! Look at the banners bro!

*you're

No tournament wins from 1968-1984 and from 1993-present and 3 appearance since 1992.

Last edited:
*you're

No tournament wins from 1968-1984 and from 1993-present and 3 appearance since 1992.

Exactly. Recruits don't care about what happened 10 years ago, let alone what happened 50.

George Mason, VCU, Butler, Gonzaga, and others were worse off than UTEP in 1992. Since then, UTEP hasn't done squat and those teams have.

Reactions: El Paso 777
Exactly. Recruits don't care about what happened 10 years ago, let alone what happened 50.

George Mason, VCU, Butler, Gonzaga, and others were worse off than UTEP in 1992. Since then, UTEP hasn't done squat and those teams have.
If UTEP competed in a basketball only league and didn’t have to worry about paying football salaries they could afford to throw 1.5 million at their basketball coach. We would also have similar results to those schools you mentioned.

Again, simply not true. Those teams won "organically". They did not wake up one day and say "we're paying our bball coach 1.5 milly going forward". They won with what they had. 80% might be that way now, but they made their own success. Mixture of right hire, right recruits, and some luck.

The football excuse is just another excuse in the long line of excuses to cover UTEPs lack of success.

Again, simply not true. Those teams won "organically". They did not wake up one day and say "we're paying our bball coach 1.5 milly going forward". They won with what they had. 80% might be that way now, but they made their own success. Mixture of right hire, right recruits, and some luck.

The football excuse is just another excuse in the long line of excuses to cover UTEPs lack of success.

You are a master at observing, recognizing and postulating on the problems that exist within UTEP's athletic department and its programs as a whole. You know? The easy stuff...pointing out the obvious. But as for coming up with anything creative and solution oriented...I've noticed is not your strong suit.

Reactions: Rot and miner661
You are a master at observing, recognizing and postulating on the problems that exist within UTEP's athletic department and its programs as a whole. You know? The easy stuff...pointing out the obvious. But as for coming up with anything creative and solution oriented...I've noticed is not your strong suit.

Its not obvious since many fans think past results are important, blame football, and simply don't acknowledge other schools successes with less resources.

You want improvement? Its starts with the right hires and scheduling. Once the wins come, the fans will come. Once the fans are in, you can improve facilities. There are things UTEP can do in the mean time to improve the fan experience.

Have good WiFi at the Sun Bowl and DHC. Bring back better tailgating rules. Bring in better or more food options. Schedule teams we haven't seen or ones that have a name. Play more road games. If UTEP would have played at Duke last night, it would have been on an ESPN channel. The UIW game was not televised and probably not even covered in San Antonio.

UTEP could treat the media and announce games, series, etc before a twitter fan gets it from another schools story. They could be more innovative with ticket pricing and policies. They should get better merchandise and/or change it up. You can never buy the stuff you see on the field or court.

Its not obvious since many fans think past results are important, blame football, and simply don't acknowledge other schools successes with less resources.

You want improvement? Its starts with the right hires and scheduling. Once the wins come, the fans will come. Once the fans are in, you can improve facilities. There are things UTEP can do in the mean time to improve the fan experience.

Have good WiFi at the Sun Bowl and DHC. Bring back better tailgating rules. Bring in better or more food options. Schedule teams we haven't seen or ones that have a name. Play more road games. If UTEP would have played at Duke last night, it would have been on an ESPN channel. The UIW game was not televised and probably not even covered in San Antonio.

UTEP could treat the media and announce games, series, etc before a twitter fan gets it from another schools story. They could be more innovative with ticket pricing and policies. They should get better merchandise and/or change it up. You can never buy the stuff you see on the field or court.
Sometimes I think you are two different people!

Anyway I agree with mostly all of this. I do think the past is important for maintaing expectations, but the now and future are more important to me. I do acknowlege UTEP's past BB success, but I want to move on to our next wave of success. Winning cures everything and UTEP just hasn't been able to get it done for multiple reasons.

The banners hanging in the rafters are the history. Your comparison to NMSU is not a valid point. Had the aggies played the conference foes UTEP has, It's NCAA appearances would definitely be lower. We can all agree we have dropped the last few years, but with the right leaders in place, hopefully UTEP returns to being a dominating team.

Reactions: Rot and axingfools1
Agree, but back when Utep had dominating teams, the WAC was a powerful conference. UTEP won in a tough conference. Now, there's no reason UTEP cant do in CUSA what the aggies do in the WAC.

Reactions: axingfools1
Agree, but back when Utep had dominating teams, the WAC was a powerful conference. UTEP won in a tough conference. Now, there's no reason UTEP cant do in CUSA what the aggies do in the WAC.

NMSU played UNLV and other tough teams in the 90's.

And I agree, but it's sad UTEP can't even beat NMSU.

It is sad Utep hasn't been able to beat the aggies. Reason for the sudden change in leadership. Hope our new Coach has good recruiting ties and puts Utep back on the map

Reactions: axingfools1
I would have liked to see how aggies teams fared against the likes of Wyoming teams, Utah, BYU, and New Mexico teams back then. I know the Lobos played them regularly, and almost certain beat them regularly too.

I would have liked to see how aggies teams fared against the likes of Wyoming teams, Utah, BYU, and New Mexico teams back then. I know the Lobos played them regularly, and almost certain beat them regularly too.

NMSU was good in the early 90's and the Big West Conference was actually pretty good back then.

I do not disagree with you that NMSU had good teams back then. But the latest NCAA runs the aggies have had the last few years were due to a watered down conference. Guess everyone has their opinions on these matters, but only time will tell where our teams go from here. Happy for the possibilities with a new head coach at UTEP !!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT