• No

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
k9BRGOe_d.jpg

l8xRkt2_d.jpg

In the last eleven plus years UTEP basketball tickets have remained steady. Floor seats have seen the biggest increase in price. Upper reserved went down in price and the copper tickets have only increased by $40. What do you all think?

Edit: Having technical difficulties. When I previewed the post it had both pictures of current and past ticket prices. Now it’s only showing the old one.

I don’t know why it’s so blurry but here’s the link to current prices.
https://utepathletics.com/services/...8/5/17/2018_19_BASKETBALL_TICKET_DIAGRAM2.pdf

Last edited:
First we have to get some wins. In the current state of the
the athletic department we can't afford to increase prices.
If you increase the prices less people are going to show up
to see UTEP lose to some teams that we really don't have
a whole lot of interest in.

Go Miners...

Reactions: mikesarabia
Ticket prices are only 1 variable in your revenue producing plan. What goals are you setting for revenue and how are you going to get there? Can you meet you goals by increasing revenue other than ticket prices? Can we raise revenue by offering better concession options?

Or just play in Memorial Gym.

No we just need a 6,000- 8,000 seat arena. 12,000 is too big. That big an arena you will always have cheap unsold seats in the upper level. That causes people not to fork down money for season tickets because they know they can always walk up and buy tickets. We have the same issue when we are good in football. The cheap end zone seats always sell out. In the end cheap seats dont help revenue as much a reducing capacity putting a good product on the field and increasing prices across the board 40-50%.

Reactions: EastCoastMiner17
You guys are already paying too much I get cheaper tickets than that and see much better competition

You guys are already paying too much I get cheaper tickets than that and see much better competition

That right there encompasses the problem with UTEP fans attitudes. People want winning programs but they want $1 hot dogs and $8 tickets. That's not going to help revenue or the the programs in the long term. Everybody bitches about performance but few are willing to pay the prices needed to sustain a winning d-1 program. This isnt minor league baseball. Cheap gimmicky s*** is not the answer.

They need to remove 4000 seats. Then have a good season to create demand and excitement. Then you raise ticket prices 40% across the board.
Sorry, you is wrong. I think they could remover the upper level seating and put in suites. Make that a party area like the Chihuahuas have. That in itself will generate revenue. Get rid of several rows on the floor. (Did you know they have waiters down there now?)
Eliminating 4-6k to create a demand is a horrible business move because YOUR model requires increasing prices 40%. You know what that will do? It will KILL the season ticket base you have already. I have 4 gold level seats. I am paying around $3500 a year. You want to increase my amount $1400? You can have your seats back. As it is, they DID increase the season ticket prices already by reducing the number of home games. For several years, I got 19 home games. This year? Tonight will be 16.
Want to increase the prices? Then you will kill what you have now.
Also, fix my damn seats as 2 of the 4 lean one way or another.

That right there encompasses the problem with UTEP fans attitudes. People want winning programs but they want $1 hot dogs and $8 tickets. That's not going to help revenue or the the programs in the long term. Everybody bitches about performance but few are willing to pay the prices needed to sustain a winning d-1 program. This isnt minor league baseball. Cheap gimmicky s*** is not the answer.
Funny that no one complains about the price of beer.

You are not understanding what I am saying —- I have 3 season tickets for decent seats and I pay about 210 per season ticket and I get to see some really really good teams come in for less expensive a ticket price than what miner fans pay

And I hate to break it to you, but....sell $1 hot dogs to get people IN the venue. That $1 hot dog costs like .25. BUT it people will pay $15 per ticket to get in.
Honestly, I "think" UTEP has taken back concessions from the fund raising groups. Therefore, they are now making more money.

I like the arenas where you can see the court from the concourse. I wonder if they could remove some of the seats above the tunnels to open it up and push people down closer.

You are not understanding what I am saying —- I have 3 season tickets for decent seats and I pay about 210 per season ticket and I get to see some really really good teams come in for less expensive a ticket price than what miner fans pay

Where are you talking about?

Sorry, you is wrong. I think they could remover the upper level seating and put in suites. Make that a party area like the Chihuahuas have. That in itself will generate revenue. Get rid of several rows on the floor. (Did you know they have waiters down there now?)
Eliminating 4-6k to create a demand is a horrible business move because YOUR model requires increasing prices 40%. You know what that will do? It will KILL the season ticket base you have already. I have 4 gold level seats. I am paying around $3500 a year. You want to increase my amount $1400? You can have your seats back. As it is, they DID increase the season ticket prices already by reducing the number of home games. For several years, I got 19 home games. This year? Tonight will be 16.

Even in 2004-2005 when were averaging 40,000 for football and 9k for basketball we were not in the top four schools in CUSA for revenue of either sport. The problem is there are far to many cheap cheats in both venues.

Another thing they could do to make more $ is sell decent merchandise.
Even in 2004-2005 when were averaging 40,000 for football and 9k for basketball we were not in the top four schools in CUSA for revenue of either sport. The problem is there are far to many cheap cheats in both venues.

And cheap fans...

They need to remove 4000 seats. Then have a good season to create demand and excitement. Then you raise ticket prices 40% across the board.

TX Tech, SMU, TCU, Rice, Houston, TAMU have all renovated or built new arena(s) in the last 20 years. Baylor (Ferrell Center) and Texas (Erwin Center)are going to replace theirs in the next couple of years. When is UTEP at the very least talk about renovating the DHC?

TX Tech, SMU, TCU, Rice, Houston, TAMU have all renovated or built new arena(s) in the last 20 years. Baylor (Ferrell Center) and Texas (Erwin Center)are going to replace theirs in the next couple of years. When is UTEP at the very least talk about renovating the DHC?

When Foster and/or Hunt pay for it.

I brought this up a few months ago. The plan has always been for UTEP to move into the arena downtown when/ if itts ever built. About 8 years ago Stull commissioned an engineering report to outline what it would cost to renovate the Haskins Center. The report findings were basically that as a result of how the Haskins Center was built there was very little that could be done to the structure. Remodeling the Haskins center was deemed to expensive. There was always a handshake agreement between the city and Stull that UTEP would be become the anchor tenant and get preference for scheduling in the new arena. That arena will need an anchor tenant. I haven't heard what Senter thinks of this. I'm sure hes seen the same engineering reports. Right now the focus is fundraising to complete all three phases of the Sun Bowl renovation. I think were five years out from all three phases being completed. After that they could fundraise for a new arena. In thinking a 6,000-8000 seat arena would cost roughly 90 million. In the most rosy optimistic picture we're at least 12-15 years out from that. That probably a way to optimistic timetable. I'm betting UTEP ends up playing in the new arena the city needs it, UTEP needs it.

I brought this up a few months ago. The plan has always been for UTEP to move into the arena downtown when/ if itts ever built. About 8 years ago Stull commissioned an engineering report to outline what it would cost to renovate the Haskins Center. The report findings were basically that as a result of how the Haskins Center was built there was very little that could be done to the structure. Remodeling the Haskins center was deemed to expensive. There was always a handshake agreement between the city and Stull that UTEP would be become the anchor tenant and get preference for scheduling in the new arena. That arena will need an anchor tenant. I haven't heard what Senter thinks of this. I'm sure hes seen the same engineering reports. Right now the focus is fundraising to complete all three phases of the Sun Bowl renovation. I think were five years out from all three phases being completed. After that they could fundraise for a new arena. In thinking a 6,000-8000 seat arena would cost roughly 90 million. In the most rosy optimistic picture we're at least 12-15 years out from that. That probably a way to optimistic timetable. I'm betting UTEP ends up playing in the new arena the city needs it, UTEP needs it.
Honestly aside from you, I have not heard about anything referencing UTEP being the anchor tenant for a new arena downtown. I do chat with a lot of people and hear a lot of wild ass rumors. This has never even been suggested.
What I have heard in the past is that the Don was built to accommodate expansion when it was originally built. Whether or not it's feasible now, I don't know. What I will say is this....I can't see any way in the world UTEP would want their basketball teams playing off campus. So there is that.....

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Honestly aside from you, I have not heard about anything referencing UTEP being the anchor tenant for a new arena downtown. I do chat with a lot of people and hear a lot of wild ass rumors. This has never even been suggested.
What I have heard in the past is that the Don was built to accommodate expansion when it was originally built. Whether or not it's feasible now, I don't know. What I will say is this....I can't see any way in the world UTEP would want their basketball teams playing off campus. So there is that.....

As I understand it. When built the Haskinns Center was designed to be expanded by removing the roof and building and upper deck. As I understand it engineers no longer thinks that's possible. I think the original design of the Haskins center was for it to hold 22,000 and costs caused them to reduce capacity to 12,000.

Reactions: kickballpro
Where are you talking about?

I have Baylor basketball season tickets living in Waco taking my son to b-ball games just like my dad took me to when I was growing up (utep games). I get season tickets for 210 and get to see Texas, tech, Kansas, Iowa state, Kansas state, tcu, Oklahoma, Oregon , Wichita state etc etc... utep b-ball tickets are more expensive than Baylor hoops

I have Baylor basketball season tickets living in Waco taking my son to b-ball games just like my dad took me to when I was growing up (utep games). I get season tickets for 210 and get to see Texas, tech, Kansas, Iowa state, Kansas state, tcu, Oklahoma, Oregon , Wichita state etc etc... utep b-ball tickets are more expensive than Baylor hoops

They have to be. Baylor gets millions of dollars from the big12's tv deal. They also have a huge donor base. UTEP literally probably gets 3% of the tv revenue Baylor gets. UTEP does not have the revenue streams Baylor does. Its impearative UTEP maximizes revenue in the arena. Baylor and the other big 12 schools could average less than a 1,000 fans and still make a huge profit off tv revenue.

I wouldn't mind a slight increase in prices. UTEP finally got competitive by paying our head coach 750k and money doesn't grow on trees.

UTEP should make something like a Premium Gold Reserved section(s) and replace some of those outdated seats with some of those nice padded, wider seats with cupholders. And of course charge more $$$ for them.

Delighted to read that we have a poster who buys season tix, and goes to games often enough to bark about the seats. Picks up, and viva Miners.

I wouldn't mind a slight increase in prices. UTEP finally got competitive by paying our head coach 750k and money doesn't grow on trees.

UTEP should make something like a Premium Gold Reserved section(s) and replace some of those outdated seats with some of those nice padded, wider seats with cupholders. And of course charge more $$$ for them.
I agree, however it would be imperative that seating is enforced. I refuse to pay more money if I can basically sit in any empty seat I want. I want to give money for tickets, but only under the right circumstances. Of course winning will cure this problem, but until then something needs to be done.

I still think that a decent athletics fee should be a part of tuition as well.

Reactions: mikesarabia
No we just need a 6,000- 8,000 seat arena. 12,000 is too big. That big an arena you will always have cheap unsold seats in the upper level. That causes people not to fork down money for season tickets because they know they can always walk up and buy tickets. We have the same issue when we are good in football. The cheap end zone seats always sell out. In the end cheap seats dont help revenue as much a reducing capacity putting a good product on the field and increasing prices across the board 40-50%.

12K is good. I went to the girls games when they made the run in the NIT. Once we start winning the Don
will sell out a couple of games during the season. Expect a solid over 10k a game. The question is when
are we going to start winning? Hopefully next year.

Go Miners...

They have to be. Baylor gets millions of dollars from the big12's tv deal. They also have a huge donor base. UTEP literally probably gets 3% of the tv revenue Baylor gets. UTEP does not have the revenue streams Baylor does. Its impearative UTEP maximizes revenue in the arena. Baylor and the other big 12 schools could average less than a 1,000 fans and still make a huge profit off tv revenue.
For all that they literally buy trouble.

I agree, however it would be imperative that seating is enforced. I refuse to pay more money if I can basically sit in any empty seat I want. I want to give money for tickets, but only under the right circumstances. Of course winning will cure this problem, but until then something needs to be done.

I still think that a decent athletics fee should be a part of tuition as well.
I agree with this! I have purchased season tickets as high as $2K and it is demoralizing when a fan purchases general admission tickets and is able to sit in the Gold and Silver sections that are better seats than mine!

Athletics fee should not be part of tuition but it's here to stay, so whatever.

You can increase prices. There is nothing that states you can not. Educate the public as to "why?". UTEP fails to educate the fans and community that it is a privilege to have mid major programs in your back yard and it needs supported. You don't see political entities (rich or poor) sitting on their hands when they need to justify their tax increases.

They do need to convert some seats near the top to suites. They can raise ticket prices after next season. I actually moved from the silver section to the bronze this year and I don't like it and will be moving back next season.

I don’t think the Haskins Center’s seating capacity should be reduced. People in El Paso will show up if the Miners win consistently. We have seen during the Haskins, Gillespie, Barbee and women’s b-ball successful years that fans will show up in large numbers when the team wins. UTEP does not have to compete with major pro teams in EP. Keep in mind the Haskins Center is the largest indoor venue in EP that is also used for concerts, graduations, boxing and other events. UTEP makes money when they rent the Haskins center. As stated above, the Haskins center is in need of repairs and upgrades. I believe a slight increase in ticket prices (5%) and a facilities fee for tickets sold for concerts, graduations, etc. should be used to increase the revenue for upgrades. El Paso’s population is approaching 1 million people and is ready for a larger arena not a reduced arena. I’m not sure if the multi-purpose arena will ever be built in downtown, but until then UTEP needs to be proactive and have nice facilities to attract better recruits and be in a position to to get invited to a better conference. UTEP needs to carry itself like a major university and do a better job of promoting itself in the community with local companies, alumni and Ft. Bliss. Get corporate sponsors involved in the process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT