ADVERTISEMENT

Is the CTF project officially a bust?

r-TIM-FLOYD-UTEP-COACH-large570.jpg

7 seasons of turmoil and turnover. It is funny that he keeps blaming it on Tony Barbee for leaving him with 10 seniors when he hasn't been able to keep a single class intact for the last 7 seasons.

I haven't read or heard him blame Barbee, at least not since the first few years he took over the program. If you've got a credible link to a recent quote of him stating this is all Tony Barbee's fault, I'd certainly appreciate seeing such.

Otherwise, to answer your question, yes, I'd call the Tim Floyd UTEP era a failed experiment. The continual turnover from one season to the next has hindered any and all chances of consistency and team continuity. As a result, we never seem to have any chemistry from one season to the next. It hasn't been for a lack of talent. Under Floyd, UTEP has always had one of the more talented rosters in C-USA. Being at or near the top of the conference with each recruited/signed class bears witness to that. However, as we all know, winning takes a whole lot more than just having a talented squad. Bringing those players in and then ushering them out of the program in the offseason, in favor of new recruits/signees, certainly hasn't worked well at UTEP. All it has served is to further diminish our standing in a downtrodden conference and kept us from any post-season success. Whenever the "powers that be" are ready to move on to something new, so am I.

I haven't read or heard him blame Barbee, at least not since the first few years he took over the program. If you've got a credible link to a recent quote of him stating this is all Tony Barbee's fault, I'd certainly appreciate seeing such.

Prior to the season there was a comment something to the effect, 'we finally have been able to balance out the scholarships from where we started.' Maybe that's what he's referring to.

Tomorrow is signing day, at least the start of it, hopefully good news comes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT