ADVERTISEMENT

It will never happen, but UTEP's next Men's Basketball Coach should be Becky Hammon

minermx07

MI Regular
Sep 6, 2009
I know people will disagree, however, let me list the positives.

1. Coach Pop tutelage/pedigree.

2. She's already proven she could get the respect of elite male athletes and coaches.

3. UTEP will receive national attention and again could be trail-blazers.

4. I think she would take the job, she's not Pop's heir, so she's not waiting for that, most teams are afraid to hire a woman.

She'll have her pick of any NBA, WNBA, and college basketball team men or women.
Winning that summer league championship with ex-Coug Jonathan Simmons gave her some credibility.

How far we've come since many were calling her a trader for playing with the Russian women's team.

I think it would be a great hire, but I am sure she makes a lot more being an NBA assistant.

I think it would be a great hire, but I am sure she makes a lot more being an NBA assistant.

You may be discrediting the fact that a Men's Bball HC job at a Div1 school would be historic, and make her a pioneer and "breaker of barriers". That in itself is worth a lot more to some women than money...

Reactions: develman
You may be discrediting the fact that a Men's Bball HC job at a Div1 school would be historic, and make her a pioneer and "breaker of barriers". That in itself is worth a lot more to some women than money...

I didn't discredit anything. She already broke barriers in the NBA and I am sure she is happy doing that and getting paid well.

People forget that Barbee took a pay-cut to come to UTEP. Sometimes its about getting that opportunity. Besides, the top NBA assistants make on average 800,000. 500,000 plus house, car, wardrobe, and phone stipends, isn't that baaaaad.

Last edited:
People forget that Barbee took a pay-cut to come to UTEP. Sometimes its about getting that opportunity. Besides, the top NBA assistants make on average 800,000, 500,000 plus paid for house, car, wardrobe, phone, isn't that baaaaad.

Very true, but I think Barbee came here hoping to be a top tier coach. He made out very well at Auburn with his salary, but never got to top tier status.

Let's say Becky turned around our team. Would the big schools shy away from her just because she's a woman? Hard to say.

Reactions: minermx07
If they wanted to go that rout Utep has its own good female coach and she has shown she could win. I'd give Keitha Adams the job. I think she can pull it off.

Reactions: UTEP05
I think the glass ceiling will be broken eventually and I think it will happen at a small school or mid major. No way it starts higher than that. When it does happen and should that person create some success, good recruiting, sweet 16, etc., then a major may take the plunge and snatch that coach. I wouldn't mind if UTEP was the school that broke the female barrier. However, I don't believe it would be coach Adams. She has seen the coaches and the pressures of trying to live up to the Haskins legacy. She is a smart lady and I think she would want no part of that, though competitive as she is. Though I love coach Adams and appreciate her commitment to UTEP, sometimes I wish she would take a job at a major to see if could give a run to the UConns and Baylors of the ncaa world. Becky Hammon would be a tremendous woman to break the barrier. I don't know if she would choose to do it here would the opportunity arise. I do see her heading places in the coaching world.

There is no pressure at Utep. Only coach that has kinda failed has been Tim Floyd. Every other coach has got jobs at bigger schools. Coach Rab had the pressure of replacing Haskins. But don't you think if Utep gave the job to another female that would be unfair to Adams? And to someone that has no head coaching experience .

Reactions: develman and UTEP05
I wouldn't want coach Adams to take the job in a major to see if she could give a run to the UConns and Baylors of the ncaa world. I want her HERE, I want her to stay HERE and make a legacy HERE where she's already at and started building a legacy by taking the program to the NIT Finals and the Elite Eight. I am pretty sure she can accomplish more. In her case this is a rebuilding year and I do believe in her, next year it will be better. However what I do want is for a change in the Athletic Department's direction and try to get into a better conference alignment because it's hurting us badly to be in the Sunbelt 2.0

Last edited:
Calm down alvino, she's here. However, did you blame Billy Clyde for wanting to move on to a larger conference after taking the Miners to the NCAA's as he did when he bolted for A&M? Why wouldn't Adams deserve the same courtesy?

There is no pressure at Utep. Only coach that has kinda failed has been Tim Floyd. Every other coach has got jobs at bigger schools. Coach Rab had the pressure of replacing Haskins. But don't you think if Utep gave the job to another female that would be unfair to Adams? And to someone that has no head coaching experience .
You're assuming Coach Adams would be interested, my opinion is she would want no part of it.

Calm down alvino, she's here. However, did you blame Billy Clyde for wanting to move on to a larger conference after taking the Miners to the NCAA's as he did when he bolted for A&M? Why wouldn't Adams deserve the same courtesy?

That surely hurt back then, but he ultimately paid the price at Kentucky. However I would give him a change and I wouldn't mind if he's here two years but takes us back to the dance. I prefer that a millions times than having this arrogant clown 7 years and accomplishing absolutely NOTHING.

I can happen, it should happen, Billy Gilliespie should be the next coach, period.

BRING BACK BILLY GILLIESPIE!!!!!
Just asking for trouble. Does he still have recruiting connections after everything that's happened?

Did you see what happened at Texas Tech?

And he just had his entire first season at Ranger College forfeited for various violations.

Just what we need.

That surely hurt back then, but he ultimately paid the price at Kentucky. However I would give him a change and I wouldn't mind if he's here two years but takes us back to the dance. I prefer that a millions times than having this arrogant clown 7 years and accomplishing absolutely NOTHING.
Way to hijack the thread...not at all what this was about.

Just asking for trouble. Does he still have recruiting connections after everything that's happened?

Did you see what happened at Texas Tech?

And he just had his entire first season at Ranger College forfeited for various violations.

Just what we need.

I don't care what happened elsewhere, I care what happened here. Here he accomplished the second biggest turn around in NCAA basketball history. He took us to the NCAA and we almost upset Maryland. He recruited exceptionally and most important of all he made very good chemistry with the players, something this clown lacks big time.

Seems like Billy Gilliespie has announced his retirement.

Fantastic!!!! he can take a year off and rest, clean his demons, soul and get healed. Once we get rid of this clown we'll offer him the job and he'll be ready to go fresh and new like when the Earth was new.

When he gets here I'll invite him some state of the art tequilas.

Fantastic!!!! he can take a year off and rest, clean his demons, soul and get healed. Once we get rid of this clown we'll offer him the job and he'll be ready to go fresh and new like when the Earth was new.

When he gets here I'll invite him some state of the art tequilas.
I'm not sure if you're being serious
CySMyuMUcAQsuTd.jpg

I don't care what happened elsewhere, I care what happened here. Here he accomplished the second biggest turn around in NCAA basketball history. He took us to the NCAA and we almost upset Maryland. He recruited exceptionally and most important of all he made very good chemistry with the players, something this clown lacks big time.
I'll repeat: Does he still have recruiting connections after everything that's happened?

Do you really believe he'll still be able to recruit at that level? When he coached here, what happened elsewhere hadn't happened yet. Now it has. You're delusional if you don't think it matters.

BG is done. His health issues are not good and he's sabotaged his college basketball coaching hopes. He has a great, great basketball mind but he literally is an odd fella which was mentioned on this sight the year he took the job at UTEP and left Illinois. Their fans liked him and said he was the main reason for their success at that time, but they did say he acted odd off the court and was noted for stalking a woman he was fond of at that time; however, no charges were filed and no criminal complaints were levied against for the incident. This was the beginning of his off the court behavior that was greatly, greatly overlooked because of his coaching dominance at UTEP and at TAMU, just like his DUI, heavy drinking and notoriously hanging out at the O2 lounge across from the DHC after UTEP home games. He is literally a troubled soul and a bit of an American tragedy in my opinion because he could have been the next Coach Cal of college basketball. Anyways, he's done, let him go.

Keitha needs to stay where she is at and she is not going anywhere. Now when Stull retires, that's a whole different story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT