ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Golding Interview

Last year Kalu the LMU game, he played 27 minutes and only had 2 points . If Kalu transfered to another school He wouldn't start.
Listen to Josh Hart he says the same thing I did about not boxing out. While the big man is boxing out, guards like Josh Hart jump over them or go where the ball is going . He says that he doesn't really box out .
Give it up Fili, UTEP is not gonna play 6-0-6-6 players only. Yes they'd be quick, but would get killed in Division 1. Josh Hart is in the NBA, we already stated it's a different game. Oh and the Knicks start a 6-11 guy and a 6-10 guy when healthy.

The best Utep lineup after Haskins was

Julyan Stone
Randy Culpeper
Polk
Jeremy Williams
Moultrie.

Everyone was athletic and could run. All of them contributed offensly and on defense. Kalu doesn't get playing time on this team

Julyan Stone
Randy Culpeper
Polk
Jeremy Williams
Moultrie.

Everyone was athletic and could run. All of them contributed offensly and on defense. Kalu doesn't get playing time on this team
For the record Fili, no body on here said they love Kalu so take your Grievances to Coach Golding. Based on what we know at this point Kalu will most likely start at the 5 with 4 guards with Otis Frazier being more of a swing. Again unless UTEP recruits this Athletic 6-10 Moultrie type transfer that's what it'll be. You started off though by saying it should be 4 guards and a forward and Centers are obsolete these days.

Julyan Stone
Randy Culpeper
Polk
Jeremy Williams
Moultrie.

We never had that lineup Fili. There are many lineups the could have been..

Yes, just the guy we need. Someone who shot hoops with some players back before Covid. Excellent person to have 😏 🤣😂
He probably made all the big men get off the court before he would play. 😂 Remember he’s a wnba fan so height, rebounding and any interior present aren’t his style of basketball.

The guards could help with rebounding. The big man has been cut from basketball. NBA basically took it out of All Star game. To win in today's basketball is you need ball handlers, shooters and athletes. I think having a big man slows a team down. I think it's too late to improve Kalus offensive game.
Yes, I’m a nuggets fan and I agree. I absolutely hate watching the slowest player in the league slow the game down, continuously win basketball games, all these mvps, and a championship 🤦🏽‍♂️

Russell Westbrook would be a way more exciting player to watch and have. He’s fast, he’s quick, athletic, and can rebound as a guard so Jokic wouldn’t have to be in the there and slow the game down. Plus I wouldn’t have to waste my summer watching the nba playoffs 😂

Last edited:
Yes, I’m a nuggets fan and I agree. I absolutely hate watching the slowest player in the league slow the game down, continuously win basketball games, all these mvps, and a championship 🤦🏽‍♂️

Russell Westbrook would be a way more exciting player to watch and have. He’s fast, he’s quick, athletic, and can rebound as a guard so Jokic wouldn’t have to be in the there and slow the game down. Plus I wouldn’t have to waste my summer watching the nba playoffs 😂

I would take Durant's/Westbrooks OKC vs this Nuggets team.

So Joe Golding pretty much said who's the planned starting lineup I'm so many words. He also said they're looking for a 4 that can create his own shot and rebound. Seems to be ok with the shooters brought in and on the roster.

G- Devon Barnes
G- Corey Camper
G- David Terrell
G/F- Otis Frazier
C- Kevin Kalu
Barnes, Ahamad and Thomas are smaller guards. Terrell, Camper and Horton go 6'4" to 6"5 and Frazier is 6'6". If we go this small then Golding needs to implement the center into the half court offense with pick and rolls and lob plays to keep the defense honest. Also the center has to rebound and block shots which are for the most part impossible when hedging all the time. There would be no backside help either. We would have to shoot and defensive rebound WAY better than last year. Personally I don't think this will work.

Playing Jones at the 4 gives us more size and versatility. He is very efficient on offense, rebounding and blocking shots. With a year under his belt and some more strength I would imagine him as a big contributor this year. IMO Jones also allows us to use Hamilton more for some inside out game. I wonder if he could even play some SF too?

I think Terrell or Camper are big, strong and athletic enough to play the 3 some minutes if needed. I think Frazier could play a little 4 too, but he really needs to be a wing (3 and D finisher) player for this team to strive. Finding another 4 should be Goldings highest priority right now.

PG Terrell/Barnes, Thomas
SG Camper, Ahamad/Horton, Hebb
SF Frazier, Camper/Terrell
PF Jones, Frazier
C Kalu, Hamilton/Mbengue

Last edited:
Fili do you know anything about soccer? I need your insight. What formation should we use? Should we eliminate the GK position and use an extra striker instead? They say offense is the best defense.
He’s probably of the school of Simeone and do a 5-5–1 to park the bus. Bas**** did that vs City 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JCorona
Barnes, Ahamad and Thomas are smaller guards. Terrell, Camper and Horton go 6'4" to 6"5 and Frazier is 6'6". If we go this small then Golding needs to implement the center into the half court offense with pick and rolls and lob plays to keep the defense honest. Also the center has to rebound and block shots which are for the most part impossible when hedging all the time. There would be no backside help either. We would have to shoot and defensive rebound WAY better than last year. Personally I don't think this will work.

Playing Jones at the 4 gives us more size and versatility. He is very efficient on offense, rebounding and blocking shots. With a year under his belt and some more strength I would imagine him as a big contributor this year. IMO Jones also allows us to use Hamilton more for some inside out game. I wonder if he could even play some SF too?

I think Terrell or Camper are big, strong and athletic enough to play the 3 some minutes if needed. I think Frazier could play a little 4 too, but he really needs to be a wing (3 and D finisher) player for this team to strive. Finding another 4 should be Goldings highest priority right now.

PF Jones, Frazier
C Kalu, Hamilton/Mbengue
I hear ya, but Golding already said he's going with 4 guards. Unless he changes off that before next season starts I think you'll see Barnes start. Yes we definitely need a capable 4.

Last edited:
I hear ya, but Golding already said he's going with 4 guards. Unless he changes off that before next season starts I think you'll see Barnes start. Yes we defended a capable 4.
Well let's see how it goes. I'm still not sure what we are missing with Jones. I can't beleive they didn't ask Golding about him or Mbengue

PF Jones, Frazier
C Kalu, Hamilton/Mbengue
I agree, that lineup better win with speed and quickness cause there would be no size to help with bigs. I also expected Jones in the starting lineup at the 4. This is goldings last lineup here at utep and I don’t think he’s helping himself playing small

Last edited:
Today on SportsTalk Steve Haskins was talking about the Miner Collective. He brought up Ahmad Bynum 2 or 3 times. He said he is a 4 star player that UTEP would have not have gotten without the Collective.

Also mentioned that Marlon Maxey had a hand in recruiting him to UTEP.

Today on SportsTalk Steve Haskins was talking about the Miner Collective. He brought up Ahmad Bynum 2 or 3 times. He said he is a 4 star player that UTEP would have not have gotten without the Collective.

Also mentioned that Marlon Maxey had a hand in recruiting him to UTEP.
Damn. You guys are gonna make me listen to it, aren't you. 10,000 words and 30 of them are something new. Oh ...we'll,

• Haha
Reactions: TxRdKiller
Not worth a listen to be honest.

It was mainly an advertisement for their NIL’s. But I found it interesting that Haskins gushed over Bynum and the Maxey tidbit.
I think Steve Haskins came on and said this

“I think one of the biggest advantage with basketball, first of all, we have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. We really do. These guys are tremendous.
Joe's got an incredible staff. And I've noticed that he doesn't get a lot of guys going in the portal. You're going to have one here and there.”

That is demeaning to the intelligence of UTEP fans. These guys are all crooks and good ol boys, waiting to suck your money from you. To call our basketball staff “one of the best in country” is trash. They went 7-9 in CUSA play last year for Christ sakes.

Then put in the trash about not having guys in the portal. I guess he forgot about the previous two off seasons when half the team joined.

Nothing but cheerleader malarkey.

I think Steve Haskins came on and said this

“I think one of the biggest advantage with basketball, first of all, we have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. We really do. These guys are tremendous.
Joe's got an incredible staff. And I've noticed that he doesn't get a lot of guys going in the portal. You're going to have one here and there.”

That is demeaning to the intelligence of UTEP fans. These guys are all crooks and good ol boys, waiting to suck your money from you. To call our basketball staff “one of the best in country” is trash. They went 7-9 in CUSA play last year for Christ sakes.

Then put in the trash about not having guys in the portal. I guess he forgot about the previous two off seasons when half the team joined.

Nothing but cheerleader malarkey.
Harsh but fair.

Well, whatever his faults, I don't think Golding is a crook. He seems like a genuinely good guy, but of course it takes more than merely that to build a good team. It's enough to make me cheer for him, though.
Haskins and the collective guys are crooks for saying they have one of the best staffs in the country. Golding is like any other coach, waiting for his next job or waiting to be bought out, then move on to another.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT