ADVERTISEMENT

Kugler finally nabs a 2018 commit

It's really rare to let a coach go into the last year of their contract. Usually they are either fired or extended. That uncertainty is going to scare off lots of recruits. Other schools will use it against us.if we have a decent season the commits will roll in. If we have a bad season we likely won't get any commits until January. This is a very strange situation you almost never see a school let a coach go into the final year of their contract.

Why recruit NM? Two words: Brian Urlacher.....you just might land a talent such as this.

Kugler is under contract through August 31st 2020. He signed the extension on 8/4/15 and it was for five years.
Thanks for that update Kappy. I searched and found the amendment that you refer to. That's not good. Not good at all. We have Kugler thru the 2019 season no matter how bad the team may be. I hope the Miners start winning but it seems like a long shot. What was Stull thinking? Apparently Kugler's 7 wins in the 2014 season was the clincher.

Thanks for that update Kappy. I searched and found the amendment that you refer to. That's not good. Not good at all. We have Kugler thru the 2019 season no matter how bad the team may be. I hope the Miners start winning but it seems like a long shot. What was Stull thinking? Apparently Kugler's 7 wins in the 2014 season was the clincher.

Just because he has a contract doesn't mean he can't be canned.

You mean when he said If I don't turn this thing around in 3 years I will quit? Those words?

I think that winning season in 14 took him off the hook in his own mind. It certainly did in Stull's mind. That was one of Stull's quiet unfair the radar extensions. Killer's contract now run longer than Stull's.

Just because he has a contract doesn't mean he can't be canned.
That's very true but it does mean that if this season is a bust and Stull wants to replace Kugler, it will cost 2 years of his base pay which was raised to $289,541. UTEP does guarantee $220,000 for the radio show, etc. but does not have to pay him for that if he is terminated for losing too much. If he were to be fired for cause, then UTEP would owe him nothing.

Kugler is under contract through August 31st 2020. He signed the extension on 8/4/15 and it was for five years.

Thanks for the reminder.

giphy.gif

Reactions: utep-piggy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT