ADVERTISEMENT

Lew Stallworth

mikesarabia

All Star
Oct 28, 2006
I like to see how former Miners and Miner recruits that didn't end up here are doing (what could have been). Former Miner Lew Stallworth led his team in scoring with 23 points on 7 of 11 shooting from the field, 7 of 9 from the line, 2 of 3 from threes, 6 assists, and 4 rebounds. He did have 5 turnovers and his team (UTRGV) his winless. I did respect how hard Lew worked while he was here and was always hustling.

Real head scratcher for sure. My understanding is he didn't fit into Floyd's offense and wasn't the caliber of player for this level of basketball. Not that UTEP is some kind of Duke team because UTEP couldn't beat Mississippi State, but it does require a tremendous level of physicality, smarts, and tenacity to compete at this level.

Basketball is a game an athlete can not just easily transition into. At this level to succeed you have to have strength like a linebacker, feet like ballet dancer, poise like a seasoned Sergeant in battle, and rapier smarts and guts like a mafia boss (I'm not condoning organized crime) and fire in your belly that's always burning. D.A. has it, Winn has it, Omega as well. Jones is definitely on his way IMO. He is still raw but I for sure see him as a potential NBA draft pick in three and a half years. Lew had the guts and the work ethic, but my understanding was he just lacked the overall needs to deliver what Floyd needed now. And that itself is why it is Floyd's fault. Lew was a candidate in waiting but because Floyd went after high risk guards and forwards that didn't work out, Lew had to step up quickly, and Lew wasn't ready, so out he went to open up a scholarship.

Last edited:
McSwiggy's scoring some points for Casper, too. (How impressive that is, I can't say.)
Saw that, only 2 points his last game though, and his shooting percentage is horrendous, shoots mostly from beyond the arc. This surprises me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT