ADVERTISEMENT

2 More Years of Golding *sigh*

TenaciousD

Rookie
Jun 28, 2001
El Paso, TX
Levesque is a RS Soph, so he has 2 more years, so that's the debt somehow Golding owes to the Athletics Dept. Someone has pictures of Golding, because there is no logical, basketball explanation for why Levesque plays instead of Jones. Its no longer basketball, its personal, either Jones intends on portaling so Golding is not playing him or he mouthed off, so in that case let him wear street clothes, but to keep a 6-8 guy who plays with energy, and yes makes mistakes (Which Golding has mentioned), out in favor of a walk-on makes no sense. Imagine a 6-0 185 pound, QB from Canutillo named "Jonas Senter" or "Andrew Teicher" playing QB against Liberty with the team down 13, yet Shay Smith or Pickles doesn't play (assuming they didn't redshirt). We would wonder what the hell is happening.

Did we need Levesque getting 4 min of experience to prep for next year instead of Jones, did he give us a better chance to win? Does he match up better, is he a better shooter, does he get less nervous?

A few points (not saying anything others havent said on here before but just venting)
1) What a contrast between Walden and Golding. Walden is all over X, hyping up his program, hyping up other teams, getting rowdy at a game, and generally generating excitement for his program. Golding is radio silent on social media (As are his assistants), gets into verbal shouting with fans, and his team has checked out.
2) Why does Golding insist on his team race to the sideline at time-outs, they never do, they alsways walk over. Maybe his first year, you would see that but not anymore. Yet he yells at them to run, but really only Terrell and Horton do it. Is it no leadership or upper-classmen are tired of his antics (a la Wolfram and Rabedeaux)
3) "Not a championship team" - on a radio interview his 1st year, Teicher asked him about recruiting and he said ssomething like "its frustrating that with our history, the feeeling is this is not a championship level team" - so kinda blaming Terry. Yet, Year 3 we are in last place in the 12th best conference, and our Net Ranking is 225. Enough said.
4) A mark of a good coach is a) Does the team get better in Feb and March? b) Does a coach make good halftime adjustments. Answers are easy, how many games are we down 4 at half, yet opponents come out on a 8-0 run? How many games have we lost in the last 4 minutes? How many consecutive games have we lost in Feb?
5) Substitutions/Minutes - That one boggles me. How Hamilton wont play 5-6 games, then gets you 14. How Jones shows flashes, yet sits on the bench in favor of a walk-on.
6) Recruiting

If this same coaching staff returns (We know Golding will); I'm out for 2024-25. BTW, I'm in for Football. Call me bandwagon, but I'm tired of Golding. Just tired of it, why waste my energy. I'm done for this year and we'll see what happens in the off-season.

I think Levesque plays cuz Golding has to keep his job safe. How else can you justify these results? Happy boss happy life, right?

Reactions: Lil_Train
Levesque is a RS Soph, so he has 2 more years, so that's the debt somehow Golding owes to the Athletics Dept. Someone has pictures of Golding, because there is no logical, basketball explanation for why Levesque plays instead of Jones. Its no longer basketball, its personal, either Jones intends on portaling so Golding is not playing him or he mouthed off, so in that case let him wear street clothes, but to keep a 6-8 guy who plays with energy, and yes makes mistakes (Which Golding has mentioned), out in favor of a walk-on makes no sense. Imagine a 6-0 185 pound, QB from Canutillo named "Jonas Senter" or "Andrew Teicher" playing QB against Liberty with the team down 13, yet Shay Smith or Pickles doesn't play (assuming they didn't redshirt). We would wonder what the hell is happening.

Did we need Levesque getting 4 min of experience to prep for next year instead of Jones, did he give us a better chance to win? Does he match up better, is he a better shooter, does he get less nervous?

A few points (not saying anything others havent said on here before but just venting)
1) What a contrast between Walden and Golding. Walden is all over X, hyping up his program, hyping up other teams, getting rowdy at a game, and generally generating excitement for his program. Golding is radio silent on social media (As are his assistants), gets into verbal shouting with fans, and his team has checked out.
2) Why does Golding insist on his team race to the sideline at time-outs, they never do, they alsways walk over. Maybe his first year, you would see that but not anymore. Yet he yells at them to run, but really only Terrell and Horton do it. Is it no leadership or upper-classmen are tired of his antics (a la Wolfram and Rabedeaux)
3) "Not a championship team" - on a radio interview his 1st year, Teicher asked him about recruiting and he said ssomething like "its frustrating that with our history, the feeeling is this is not a championship level team" - so kinda blaming Terry. Yet, Year 3 we are in last place in the 12th best conference, and our Net Ranking is 225. Enough said.
4) A mark of a good coach is a) Does the team get better in Feb and March? b) Does a coach make good halftime adjustments. Answers are easy, how many games are we down 4 at half, yet opponents come out on a 8-0 run? How many games have we lost in the last 4 minutes? How many consecutive games have we lost in Feb?
5) Substitutions/Minutes - That one boggles me. How Hamilton wont play 5-6 games, then gets you 14. How Jones shows flashes, yet sits on the bench in favor of a walk-on.
6) Recruiting

If this same coaching staff returns (We know Golding will); I'm out for 2024-25. BTW, I'm in for Football. Call me bandwagon, but I'm tired of Golding. Just tired of it, why waste my energy. I'm done for this year and we'll see what happens in the off-season.
Golding won't be here 2 more years if he has another losing season next year! I can almost guarantee it. We all know he's coming back next year and has 2 more years on his contract after this year. However it's a lot easier to move on with one year left rather than 2. This was obviously proven with Dimel being let go a year before his contract. Contracts are usually renewed a year before they expire. So Senter/Wilson will probably be making a choice at the end of next year. So if he's not going to be extended, I say he'll be let go. Again that's if he has another flop of a season for the 3rd time in a row.

Dimel was 12-33 when he got a raise and extension for finishing one game above .500. Golding is sitting safely 4 games above .500. As long as he keeps us around .500 he’ll be back. The minute we have a winning season; raise and extension!

Reactions: nattybry
I think Golding has made some recruiting mistakes and just because a guy has talent, doesn’t mean he should see the floor. I think if you have a talented player not getting minutes, then you can assume there is another issue.

Golding has 1 more year. He will have guys leave for the Transfer Portal which will open up scholarships and give him one more class to right the ship.

UTEP can afford to move on but my gut tells me they still believe Golding is the right guy.

Dimel was 12-33 when he got a raise and extension for finishing one game above .500. Golding is sitting safely 4 games above .500. As long as he keeps us around .500 he’ll be back. The minute we have a winning season; raise and extension!
I don't disagree with that, if they win next year and maybe go to some sort of post season. If it's not NIT or NCAA though I don't think he'll get extended , but it'll buy him another year definitely. Unlike Dimel I like Golding and hope the Miners win next year and go to the NCAA/NIT. However I just don't have any faith he can do that based on what we've seen so far.

I think Golding has made some recruiting mistakes and just because a guy has talent, doesn’t mean he should see the floor. I think if you have a talented player not getting minutes, then you can assume there is another issue.

Golding has 1 more year. He will have guys leave for the Transfer Portal which will open up scholarships and give him one more class to right the ship.

UTEP can afford to move on but my gut tells me they still believe Golding is the right guy.
I don't understand why it's so hard to get shooters!? Almost every school has at least a couple. I understand he wants good defenders, but that can be coached of you're a quality teacher!

Reactions: bamfor
I don't understand why it's so hard to get shooters!? Almost every school has at least a couple. I understand he wants good defenders, but that can be coached of you're a quality teacher!
I agree with the shooters, but the exception is the role the center plays in the D that CJG utilizes. It's counterproductive more times than not, imo.

I agree with the shooters, but the exception is the role the center plays in the D that CJG utilizes. It's counterproductive more times than not, imo.

If this team had anyone who could shoot worth a crap they be ok. The defense can create all the turnovers in the world but these guys miss everything. Layup? Miss. 3-pointer? Almost guaranteed miss. In between, still a miss.

I don't think the defense is so much of an issue. Yes, I get that some guys might not be as good a fit for this scheme but shooters would cure many ills on this team.

In all fairness, Haskins brought in talent that shouldn't have been wearing a UTEP uni. Coaches have favorites, work in progress, hardship player, politics (family are boosters, past famous alum or coach wants parent on staff), walk on player needed for practice reasons (get the scholi in final year as reward) and of course the beloved local kid.

Levesque and Hebb just don't cut the mustard at this level. Hard workers? Absolutely. I see them struggle with the speed and athleticism for this level. Now on the flip side, Terry brought in uber athletic players and that didn't go all to well.

So where are we with Golding? Honestly, and I don't mean this as an insult, but I don't think he even knows in his gut.

Reactions: kickballpro
""Not a championship team" - on a radio interview his 1st year, Teicher asked him about recruiting and he said ssomething like "its frustrating that with our history, the feeeling is this is not a championship level team" - so kinda blaming Terry. Yet, Year 3 we are in last place in the 12th best conference, and our Net Ranking is 225. Enough said."

7a1f083c-239e-451d-b141-ce6a87f9a2ca_text.gif

6) Recruiting

I haven’t heard one explanation to the media or fan base from golding why Elijah Jones is not seeing the court. There needs to be something that’s occurred and I believe it will eventually come out. Would be nice if some locker room reporters could get him to spit it out. His rotations are disgusting. I’m sick of watching it.

Per 40 minutes (20 plus games played) EJ is 1st in scoring, 2rd in rebounds (behind Kalu) and 1st in blocks.

He shoots 60% from the field, 38% from 3 and nearly 77% from the line.

He's 8th in steals so there's that.

EJs numbers are better than Dos Anjos (who has played about 30 min less) AND Solomon (who has played twice 2.5x as many minutes.

Here are the players slated to come back next year given they decide to return. Personally I think CJG hit a homerun with Camper, Terrell, Horton and Jones. Babacar looks like a man. If CJG can get these guys to stick around, I like our team. They have been fun to watch this year albeit frustrating to see lose when they have the potential to win. If there's a mass exodus, no need for Joe to stick around either. I'd also like to see OT realize how good he can be.

Corey Camper
David Terrell
Trey Horton 3
Baylor Hebb
Otis Frazier
Derek Hamilton
Elijah Jones
Kevin Kalu

Levesque
Cole
Holmes

In the wings:
Babacar Mbengue
KJ Thomas

That's A LOT of good young players who will leave for sure if Golding leaves. BTW, KJs Canyon Randall side is blasting teams so far in the state playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT