MI Miner Maniac
Sep 11, 2015
*Givance - exhausted eligibility
*McKinney - no longer with team
*Zachery - can’t imagine him coming back
*Big Ham - Z and Kalu seem to be the future
*Sibley - just doesn’t seem to fit in

**Hardy - wouldn’t be surprised if he left as a grad transfer

I think we lose anywhere from 5-7 scholarship players. Those above are my best bets. Golding has got to recruit wisely. Next year might make or break him.

I think it's easier to say who I would want to keep around:

Frazier, Onyema, Hamilton.

Everyone else is meh.
Yeah. I’m about the same. I do like the scrappiness of Solomon. I’d want him to stick around despite some of the bone headed plays he makes.

I like Hamilton too, but I don’t think he’ll come back for another season of scrap minutes.

Reactions: axingfools1
Yeah. I’m about the same. I do like the scrappiness of Solomon. I’d want him to stick around despite some of the bone headed plays he makes.

I like Hamilton too, but I don’t think he’ll come back for another season of scrap minutes.
Solomon's ability to guard positions 1-5 is very valuable, as is his experience. I think Golding will definitely want to keep him, and hopefully supplement behind him. The plan with dos Anjos obviously did not work out this year.

On Hamilton, I am not as optimistic he can become a true contributor at this level defensively, especially in Golding's ball screen hedging defense. This is one area where Kalu is solid. Golding even mentions him as "elite" in this area. Based on that, I think Golding would try to keep him.

On Hardy, he's a guy who can be effective off the bench, but is just too inconsistent offensively to be a reliable option. Really, I feel similarly with Frazier who is also a roller coaster offensively. The guys I think Golding should hold on to are: Solomon, Onyema, Frazier, Hardy, and Kalu. He has already signed Jones, Terrell, and Horton. I could see Golding keeping either Sibley or dos Anjos. So, that leaves four rides available for next year. PG is a huge priority; with a possibility of bringing in two.

I like Hardy, but not as a leader scorer. He has to be a supplement scorer with the threat of going big.

Z, Kalu, Solomon, Frazier, Hardy and Sumlin

I think Dos Anjos stays and Sibley ends up leaving (although I think Sibley is underutilized, younger, our best shot blocker and has a higher upside)

Tarrell, Horton, Jones

3 more to fill (experienced starting PG/leader, shooter and a young center to push Kalu)

That gives Golding 5 new guards 2 new bigs to mesh with our best and turn this thing around.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
This is why Bronzeing doesn’t need 8 years to be a winner. San Jose St doesn’t have the facilities, fan support, or expectations that UTEP has, but their coach is able to “win” and in a tougher league. Miles was 8-23 and 1-17 in the MWC last year.

This is why Bronzeing doesn’t need 8 years to be a winner. San Jose St doesn’t have the facilities, fan support, or expectations that UTEP has, but their coach is able to “win” and in a tougher league. Miles was 8-23 and 1-17 in the MWC last year.

Sure hope Golding didn't get an auto extension after last years 20 win season.

Z, Kalu, Solomon, Frazier, Hardy and Sumlin

I think Dos Anjos stays and Sibley ends up leaving (although I think Sibley is underutilized, younger, our best shot blocker and has a higher upside)

Tarrell, Horton, Jones

3 more to fill (experienced starting PG/leader, shooter and a young center to push Kalu)

That gives Golding 5 new guards 2 new bigs to mesh with our best and turn this thing around.
Issue is Golding can't recruit. Is he going to make some staff changes to bring in someone that can recruit?

Sort of funny (sad), we all talked about how we needed a big last recruiting season, and bitched about all the guards signing. Guess Golding was hoping one of the guards would be a hidden gem. Didn’t pan out and our bigs are the best players.
He struck out on the guards but maybe he knows what he was doing not going after the bigs.

Sort of funny (sad), we all talked about how we needed a big last recruiting season, and bitched about all the guards signing. Guess Golding was hoping one of the guards would be a hidden gem. Didn’t pan out and our bigs are the best players.
He struck out on the guards but maybe he knows what he was doing not going after the bigs.
I don't even think our bigs are very good, outside of Z. They just look good in comparison to our steaming pile of doodoo known as our guards.

I think Solomon is decent. Him and Z are the two I hope stay.?
Solomon, like Kalu, has decent attributes. Solomon plays with high intensity, esp on the defensive end, but he is pretty useless from the line and on offense. And so many unforced errors. Drives me nuts. I wouldn't cry if we lost either, but we cannot lose Onyema. Dude is a budding star and has the potential to play pro ball somewhere. Hope we can hold onto him.

Solomon, like Kalu, has decent attributes. Solomon plays with high intensity, esp on the defensive end, but he is pretty useless from the line and on offense. And so many unforced errors. Drives me nuts. I wouldn't cry if we lost either, but we cannot lose Onyema. Dude is a budding star and has the potential to play pro ball somewhere. Hope we can hold onto him.
Totally agree with you that unforced turnovers is an issue with Solomon, as is free throw shooting, however his 9 points a game is hardly useless. Also, over 1/3 of his rebounds are of the offensive variety. He and Kalu can’t be mentioned in the same breath, imo. While not a HUGE loss if Solomon leaves, his productivity would probably be missed.

I’ve been hard on Kalu, but if he is the backup getting 13 minutes of play behind Z’s 27 minutes like yesterday, I’m fine if he stays. It’s when Golding is splitting minutes fairly equally, that it drives me crazy because production, especially where we need it, is no where near equal. Z is the future for the next 2 years. I hope.

Last edited:
Moving forward, we need to upgrade at point guard. Hoping for someone who comes in with a couple years experience and at least 2 years of eligibility remaining to match Z. We need a couple shooters in the most desperate way. And I’m hoping Elijah Jones can push Solomon for some solid minutes.

Moving forward, we need to upgrade at point guard. Hoping for someone who comes in with a couple years experience and at least 2 years of eligibility remaining to match Z. We need a couple shooters in the most desperate way. And I’m hoping Elijah Jones can push Solomon for some solid minutes.
The more I hear about our current incoming guards, the more I am thinking Golding will need to double dip with two veteran point guards (or true combo guards). Ideally, a couple of guys that you can play together, and can score, if needed. Getting at least one PG with size, would be preferable as well. I think it is clear, having a guy like Hardy at the point, would be a disaster. A guy like Zachery is serviceable, but is far from ideal due to his offensive limitations. Golding needs to get some plug and play guards, as well as some scorers to have a chance to turn things around.

The more I hear about our current incoming guards, the more I am thinking Golding will need to double dip with two veteran point guards (or true combo guards). Ideally, a couple of guys that you can play together, and can score, if needed. Getting at least one PG with size, would be preferable as well. I think it is clear, having a guy like Hardy at the point, would be a disaster. A guy like Zachery is serviceable, but is far from ideal due to his offensive limitations. Golding needs to get some plug and play guards, as well as some scorers to have a chance to turn things around.
Good take. Totally agree.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Have you hear anything about Sumlin recently? He has that size for a PG that you mentioned. I just haven’t heard anything about him since his HS days, evaluation wise.

What are you hearing about the incoming guards?

What are you hearing about the incoming guards?
On Terrell, I've heard he isn't much of a scorer at this point, good defender. Pretty much the same on Sumlin, who I'm not even sure he will be around next year. Like Terry used to say, "if he could help, he would be playing". I just don't see them any where near ready to run the team effectively.

On Terrell, I've heard he isn't much of a scorer at this point, good defender. Pretty much the same on Sumlin, who I'm not even sure he will be around next year. Like Terry used to say, "if he could help, he would be playing". I just don't see them any where near ready to run the team effectively.
Sounds like another feather in Golding's recruiting hat 😐

Sounds like another feather in Golding's recruiting hat 😐
It's still early in the process for these guys, I just don't see them as starter level at this point from what I have heard. Like you mentioned, it would nice to see some early contributors as has happened at other CUSA schools. Maybe Horton can come in and surprise with some shooting, which is badly needed. It's interesting that I don't see UTEP linked to many JC targets, so it looks like Golding will go heavy in the portal. IMO, if Golding signs JC guys late (Zachery/Lemus), that is a sign they missed on their primary options.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT