ADVERTISEMENT

Miner Basketball

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
Has anyone out there been able to see any of the practice sessions and if so what are your impressions? As I am writing this I'm wondering if they might be "closed".

I guess Floyd doesn't want anyone to see how bad the team is.

kids-clint-eastwood-grumpy-old-man-gran-torino_zpsxuilmxlz.gif~c200

Why wou

It appears you are being a smartass; if not I apologize. I asked the question because I used to attend as often as possible when I lived there and Haskins was coaching. If it's different now, pardon me for asking.

Im just saying why would it be open to the public? Im sure its open to maybe students but i dont think practice would be open to the public. Thats where coaches run their secret plays and im sure they wouldnt want that to get out.

Im just saying why would it be open to the public? Im sure its open to maybe students but i dont think practice would be open to the public. Thats where coaches run their secret plays and im sure they wouldnt want that to get out.
A secret play is only a secret until you run it; then it's there for everybody. At this early stage of the season, Tim is emphasizing basic fundamentals and different defenses. Practices may be different today than yesteryear , but only with a "specific game" preparation did there ever used to be a closed practice.
If our next game was Kentucky, you better believe it would be private!

Don't understand why they continue to come where they are not wanted- must get a sick joy and pleasure out of it...
They are lonely and crying for attention. Put 'em on ignore and they will ball like babies. Don't give them any satisfaction.

SIAP, but here's some good stuff re: UTEP bb from ESPN in July (pre-Jones):

It says something that the most intriguing team in the upcoming C-USA isn't the one that knocked off Iowa State last March. That honor goes to UTEP, and it's not particularly close. The Miners lost three senior starters (Cedrick Lang, Julian Washburn, C.J. Cooper) this past spring, and all three were crucial (especially Lang); meanwhile, Vince Hunter, who has found a home (for now) in the NBA, was the league's second-best player. But coach Tim Floyd is bringing in more, better talent than any other C-USA outfit (see "Newcomers" below).*

Newcomers

UTEP's extreme intriguing-ness (new word!) lies entirely with its newcomers. Shooting guard Lee Moore -- who racked up a host of accolades as a star at Alabama junior college Wallace State -- will contribute immediately. Four-star forward Paul Thomas is the best recruit of any 2015 C-USA class. Three other freshmen (Christian Romine, Josh McSwiggan, Kelvin Jones) add size and depth.

And then there's Dominic Artis. The No. 8-ranked point guard in the class of 2012, Artis was both promising and frustrating in his first two seasons at Oregon; for every individual moment of assertive play came an extended period of turnover-prone inefficiency. In the spring of 2014, Artis was one of three players named in a sexual assault investigation and later dismissed by the program. He was never charged. After a year away from basketball, UTEP is Artis' chance to repair both his reputation and his career -- and make the Miners the most talented team in the league, at least on paper.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/108054/early-look-sizing-up-conference-usa

SIAP, but here's some good stuff re: UTEP bb from ESPN in July (pre-Jones):

It says something that the most intriguing team in the upcoming C-USA isn't the one that knocked off Iowa State last March. That honor goes to UTEP, and it's not particularly close. The Miners lost three senior starters (Cedrick Lang, Julian Washburn, C.J. Cooper) this past spring, and all three were crucial (especially Lang); meanwhile, Vince Hunter, who has found a home (for now) in the NBA, was the league's second-best player. But coach Tim Floyd is bringing in more, better talent than any other C-USA outfit (see "Newcomers" below).*

Newcomers

UTEP's extreme intriguing-ness (new word!) lies entirely with its newcomers. Shooting guard Lee Moore -- who racked up a host of accolades as a star at Alabama junior college Wallace State -- will contribute immediately. Four-star forward Paul Thomas is the best recruit of any 2015 C-USA class. Three other freshmen (Christian Romine, Josh McSwiggan, Kelvin Jones) add size and depth.

And then there's Dominic Artis. The No. 8-ranked point guard in the class of 2012, Artis was both promising and frustrating in his first two seasons at Oregon; for every individual moment of assertive play came an extended period of turnover-prone inefficiency. In the spring of 2014, Artis was one of three players named in a sexual assault investigation and later dismissed by the program. He was never charged. After a year away from basketball, UTEP is Artis' chance to repair both his reputation and his career -- and make the Miners the most talented team in the league, at least on paper.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/108054/early-look-sizing-up-conference-usa
Nice article except for "KelvinJones"; not Brodericks Jones. Also interesting that Omega isn't mentioned.

They are lonely and crying for attention. Put 'em on ignore and they will ball like babies. Don't give them any satisfaction.

Jeep and miner1liner...lol...that's funny...let's see your posts as the football team keeps losing and especially the first time the BB team loses. You all are such great intellectuals, you come up with some ideas as to how UTEP can attract big donors. Look at Memphis, they sucked in Conf USA...look at them now. So let's hear your ideas instead of running and hiding behind your board friends. Naw, you all do enough already going to the games. You'd rather waste your time with comments that a 6 yo could make. Let us know when you all grow up ok?

Jeep and miner1liner...lol...that's funny...let's see your posts as the football team keeps losing and especially the first time the BB team loses. You all are such great intellectuals, you come up with some ideas as to how UTEP can attract big donors. Look at Memphis, they sucked in Conf USA...look at them now. So let's hear your ideas instead of running and hiding behind your board friends. Naw, you all do enough already going to the games. You'd rather waste your time with comments that a 6 yo could make. Let us know when you all grow up ok?
Ummm, not sure why you referenced me in your comment?? I think maybe you meant someone else?? What you stated has nothing to do with what I post....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT