ADVERTISEMENT

MWC may expand per their commish

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Thompson, commish of the MWC, says he has talked to 6 universities since August, one of them for sure is Gonzaga. BYU is a possibility and I'm sure NMSU and UTEP have been on the phone too. Doesn't mean anything will come of it but Senter is not shy and I wouldn't doubt that he would jump into the middle of that discussion. Interesting times.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...onzaga-mountain-west-sdsu-20180228-story.html

Doesn’t Nataclicio still have the application in her “To Do” bin on her desk? Just waiting for it to get signed off....

It seems like the possiblility of conference expansion is coming at the absolute worst time for UTEP. We need Senter to make a great hire in BB and Dimmel needs to win games ASAP if we are going to seriously ditch CUSA.

Doesn’t Nataclicio still have the application in her “To Do” bin on her desk? Just waiting for it to get signed off....

It seems like the possiblility of conference expansion is coming at the absolute worst time for UTEP. We need Senter to make a great hire in BB and Dimmel needs to win games ASAP if we are going to seriously ditch CUSA.

It doesn't have anything to do with winning.

Reactions: LaserCoog
The MWC will never get Gonzaga, they're dreaming. That would be a downgrade for the zags. The WCC is a better hoops league. It's a Catholic league but they made an acception for BYU. I'm sure they would make one for GCU. The things thats interesting to me about this realignment is GCU. They are almost universally viewed as the next big western basketball power. I agree I think they're the next Gonzaga a pernennial top 25 school. It just shows how fast things change five years ago nobody knew who GCU was.

The MWC will never get Gonzaga, they're dreaming. That would be a downgrade for the zags. The WCC is a better hoops league. It's a Catholic league but they made an acception for BYU. I'm sure they would make one for GCU. The things thats interesting to me about this realignment is GCU. They are almost universally viewed as the next big western basketball power. I agree I think they're the next Gonzaga a pernennial top 25 school. It just shows how fast things change five years ago nobody knew who GCU was.
It looks like, according to the article, Gonzaga initiated the talks with the MWC, not the other way around. Also looks like BYU would be interested in the MWC if Gonzaga did join, but mostly for basketball. I'm sure we will see a lot of speculation, discussion over the next year or so until something actually happens or someone, Gonzaga for instance, makes a public statement of their intentions.

What's an "acception"? Lol.

Where do you get your info from?

WCC is definitely not a better league than the MWC. Gonzaga makes the WCC. The WCC is a league with tiny gyms, outside of BYU and Gonzaga. It's been like a decade since anyone other than Gonzaga, St Mary's, and BYU made the NCAAs. The MWC has Nevada, Boise St, San Diego St, UNLV, New Mexico, and better bball schools than the middle of the WCC. Adding Gonzaga would be killer for the MWC. The WCC would go back to a 1 bid league.

GCU is never going the WCC!!!! Are you insane?!? GCU is a for-profit university traded on the NYSE. The WCC is filled with prestigious academic schools. No way in hell the WCC would even consider an application from GCU. Do some research.

Reactions: miner661
What's an "acception"? Lol.

Where do you get your info from?

WCC is definitely not a better league than the MWC. Gonzaga makes the WCC. The WCC is a league with tiny gyms, outside of BYU and Gonzaga. It's been like a decade since anyone other than Gonzaga, St Mary's, and BYU made the NCAAs. The MWC has Nevada, Boise St, San Diego St, UNLV, New Mexico, and better bball schools than the middle of the WCC. Adding Gonzaga would be killer for the MWC. The WCC would go back to a 1 bid league.

GCU is never going the WCC!!!! Are you insane?!? GCU is a for-profit university traded on the NYSE. The WCC is filled with prestigious academic schools. No way in hell the WCC would even consider an application from GCU. Do some research.

In the WCC's charter it states it a Catholic only league. The league presidents had to vote and granted and exception for BYU and let them join since they were a large religous private school. This isnt a secret it was widely reported.

The stats and overall perception is that the MW is a stronger league than the WCC. This is with the traditional MW heavyweights having down years. Take away Gonzaga from the WCC and add them to the MW and there is no longer any debate as to which is the better conference.

As far as UTEP I don’t see them cashing in on this. I think the MW sets up Gonzaga similar to how the AAC set up Wichita St. End of realignment until the other G5’s start renewing their tv contracts. If the MW and AAC end up with a similar deal to the CUSA money then everything could be burned down. We might see the rise of some sort of geographical alignment.

The stats and overall perception is that the MW is a stronger league than the WCC. This is with the traditional MW heavyweights having down years. Take away Gonzaga from the WCC and add them to the MW and there is no longer any debate as to which is the better conference.

As far as UTEP I don’t see them cashing in on this. I think the MW sets up Gonzaga similar to how the AAC set up Wichita St. End of realignment until the other G5’s start renewing their tv contracts. If the MW and AAC end up with a similar deal to the CUSA money then everything could be burned down. We might see the rise of some sort of geographical alignment.

Gonzaga, St Mary's and BYU are all very solid programs. Several of the WCC schools have made significant investments to their programs. San Francisco will be very good in the years to come. Gonzaga, BYU, St Mary's> than the top three in the Mountain West.

In saying that I will agree that UNLV, UNM and SDSU have the infrastructure to compete for national championships. I just don't think overall the league is as good as the WCC.

Gonzaga, St Mary's and BYU are all very solid programs. Several of the WCC schools have made significant investments to their programs. San Francisco will be very good in the years to come. Gonzaga, BYU, St Mary's> than the top three in the Mountain West.

In saying that I will agree that UNLV, UNM and SDSU have the infrastructure to compete for national championships. I just don't think overall the league is as good as the WCC.
I don’t know to me personally playing in front of 10-12k > 3k. Even with down years SDSU, UNM, and UNLV are pulling in crowds of 10,000 and up. St Mary’s and San Fransisco will never duplicate those environments.

Gonzaga plays against team with small arenas that struggle to draw 2-3k fans. In the MW they would join a league where 8 of the 12 members would be in the top 100 of attendance. It’s a no brainer even without BYU tagging along.

Another thing to consider is if this happens could that spell the end of the WAC.

What you are completely forgetting is that the MWC plays Division 1 football. Would they accept a school for basketball only? I don't see that as plausible. Secondly because they play football the MWC is a better conference revenue wise. You are focusing on only basketball. I would much rather play in the MWC with all that bowl money, and a shot at a New year's day bowl than a basketball only conference.

I don’t know to me personally playing in front of 10-12k > 3k. Even with down years SDSU, UNM, and UNLV are pulling in crowds of 10,000 and up. St Mary’s and San Fransisco will never duplicate those environments.

Gonzaga plays against team with small arenas that struggle to draw 2-3k fans. In the MW they would join a league where 8 of the 12 members would be in the top 100 of attendance. It’s a no brainer even without BYU tagging along.

Another thing to consider is if this happens could that spell the end of the WAC.

But Gonzaga is a big fish in a small pond. They have built their program to a level where they are almost assured a spot in the NCAA Tournament. In that sense people probably don’t mind beating up scrub schools and playing post season BB every year.

I feel a little differently. I think a small gym with 3-4k right on top of you is an awesome atmosphere. I don't think kids put alot of emphasis on attendance when they pick a school. However. I see where you're coming from. I appreciate the perspective you bring in your posts.

In the WCC's charter it states it a Catholic only league. The league presidents had to vote and granted and exception for BYU and let them join since they were a large religous private school. This isnt a secret it was widely reported.

I was not questioning this. Just that you think the WCC is a better overall league and that GCU would be considered for the WCC.

The presidents and alumni at the WCC schools would stick their noses up at a for-profit, mostly online school. GCU will never be in the WCC as it is currently made up.

I feel a little differently. I think a small gym with 3-4k right on top of you is an awesome atmosphere. I don't think kids put alot of emphasis on attendance when they pick a school. However. I see where you're coming from. I appreciate the perspective you bring in your posts.

3 to 4k right on top of you is a pretty good atmosphere, but isnt 10k way better? If you were a basketball recruit, I guarantee you would rather be playing at the Thomas & Mack Center over San Francisco's dump. Same with the Pit over Pepperdine's dump. Wouldn't you rather play in the DHC over St Mary's gym?

If the MWC can convince Gonzaga to pick up football and join as a full member, then BYU wouldn't have much reason to stick around in the WCC. BYU might then choose to rejoin the MWC alongside Gonzaga. It would be a ploy that would undoubtedly strengthen the MWC brand overall.

If the MWC can convince Gonzaga to pick up football and join as a full member, then BYU wouldn't have much reason to stick around in the WCC. BYU might then choose to rejoin the MWC alongside Gonzaga. It would be a ploy that would undoubtedly strengthen the MWC brand overall.

Gonzaga is not picking up football. Ridiculous.

The only reason BYU sports sans football are in the WCC is because the MWC kicked them out when the went Indy in football. Now BYU is going to go back because there is an extra team to split revenues with? I don't think so. The only thing that will bring BYU back to the MWC is a less than favorable tv contract. Their contract is up next year I believe and they will want to extend it. I think it is 8 mill annually plus bonuses.

Gonzaga is not picking up football. Ridiculous.
No more ridiculous than Rice or Tulsa playing football (smaller schools). Gonzaga used to play football. So did St. Mary's! Gonzaga is more of a brand now, so I think they could pull it off.

The only reason BYU sports sans football are in the WCC is because the MWC kicked them out when the went Indy in football. Now BYU is going to go back because there is an extra team to split revenues with? I don't think so. The only thing that will bring BYU back to the MWC is a less than favorable tv contract. Their contract is up next year I believe and they will want to extend it. I think it is 8 mill annually plus bonuses.
They would probably have to kick Hawaii out as an "affiliate" member. Saves on travel costs.

No more ridiculous than Rice or Tulsa playing football (smaller schools). Gonzaga used to play football. So did St. Mary's! Gonzaga is more of a brand now, so I think they could pull it off.

Gonzaga hasn't played football since 1941, so anyone 77 and older would remember that. St Mary's dropped football 15 years ago and they're not bringing it back either.

Might want to check your facts. Pepperdine is not a catholic university...it is Church of Christ.
Pacific is Methodist.

Grand Canyon is a Christian College and has a Theological Seminary.

Since our founding in 1949, Grand Canyon University (GCU) has been a Christian college with a biblically rooted mission. Founded as a Baptist university, today GCU is an interdenominational university that welcomes students from all backgrounds. Throughout its rich history, GCU has remained a vibrant Christian university that is committed to distinctively Christian beliefs, values and practices in accord with its mission and vision. While the university is clear about its identity as a Christian university and its foundational convictions, we are intentionally committed to living out the faith within the context of a missional community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT