ADVERTISEMENT

Natalicio is Retiring!

She did a lot of great things for UTEP. Hopefully our next president has a more balanced outlook of the university between academics and athletics. Thank you Natalicio for all the hard work you did for UTEP and El Paso.
Stull got her to commit more when he came on board back many moons ago. I remember it like it was yesterday the local media stating his hiring was contingent on her being more supportive of athletics (mainly major revenue sports), which I think she was in my own opinion. UTEP from the days of the late 80's to now is like night and day in capital improvements in academic buildings, programs, etc. Just drive along the boundaries of the UTEP campus. That was because of her and savy moves working with the State of Texas, private benefactors and just good politics with the board of regents. Her only big loss was the medical school that she fought for, tooth and nail but Tech finally won out because of college geo-politics.

Reactions: JCorona
We all know that special someone who became a U.S. naturalized citizen and how it was the greatest thing to cherish in their life? I had grandparents like that. Well, that's how I view my degree from UTEP, and it's because of her.

giphy.gif

I think i speak for a lot of Miner fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Does anyone know where to buy one of those pick axe lapel pins she is wearing?

Actually, Natalicio is a huge baseball fan, a die hard supporter of her home town Cardinals. She is not the reason that we don't have baseball. The real reasons have to do with our budget and Title IX.

To me thats just excuses from the old leadership. There is new leadership coming in and im sure they will find a way. They will find the money .

To me thats just excuses from the old leadership. There is new leadership coming in and im sure they will find a way. They will find the money .
We didn’t have enough “candy” to land Issac what makes you think we will magically have enough money to host 2-3 team sports now?

Response is mixed, I see, to Dr. Natty's impending retirement. There is widespread feeling that her imminent departure is good for UTEP athletics. Hope you're right.

I tend to be a bit more cautious in my optimism. Finding a suitable replacement is like that proverbial box of chocolates in the film Forrest Gump -- "you never know what you're going to get."

Be careful what you wish for, Miners.

Response is mixed, I see, to Dr. Natty's impending retirement. There is widespread feeling that her imminent departure is good for UTEP athletics. Hope you're right.

I tend to be a bit more cautious in my optimism. Finding a suitable replacement is like that proverbial box of chocolates in the film Forrest Gump -- "you never know what you're going to get."

I agree with what you’re saying on some level. “The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know.” But this University needs some new blood, and some fresh ideas at the top. Natalicio has been giving that same old song and dance about how “UTEP does more with less” and to me that was all fine and dandy when less than 50% of students graduated in under six years and tuition was less than 1000 a semester. Now it’s ballooned to over 4,000 per semester and we were still hearing the same old garbage. These last couple of years I think that mentality has held that univeristy down. That belief that “Oh... us poor Mexicans can’t afford to go to college because it’s too expensive and we have to work. Boo hoo.”

Just like Bob Stull, I think Natalicio was too stuck in her ways and they didn’t engage the community. It’s an old way of doing things and we need someone who is younger, more energetic and willing to engage the community. God bless her, wish her nothing but the best.... but peace out.

Last edited:
I agree with what you’re saying on some level. “The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know.” But this University needs some new blood, and some fresh ideas at the top. Natalicio has been giving that same old song and dance about how “UTEP does more with less” and to me that was all fine and dandy when less than 50% of students graduated in under six years and tuition was less than 1000 a semester. Now it’s ballooned to over 4,000 per semester and we were still hearing the same old garbage. These last couple of years I think that mentality has held that univeristy down. That belief that “Oh... us poor Mexicans can’t afford to go to college because it’s too expensive and we have to work. Boo hoo.”

Just like Bob Stull, I think Natalicio was too stuck in her ways and they don’t engage the community. It’s an old way of doing things and we need someone who is younger, more energetic and willing to engage the community. God bless her, wish her nothing but the best.... but peace out.

I completely agree. Remember when they had a billboard saying UTEP was ranked higher than Harvard and Stanford? That was so laughable.

The athletic department can't get any worse, so this is great news.

I second that opinion.
She has done a lot of good not only for our University but for the city.
I also rather see people get educated than play professional sports 3
to 5 years. I know it doesn't sound good but that is how I feel. I rather
see a big dog in company from UTEP than somebody trying to make
it in the NFL or NBA as stated for a couple of years.

GO Miners...

I second that opinion.
to 5 years. I know it doesn't sound good but that is how I feel. I rather

GO Miners...

So you're fine with UTEP football and men's basketball losing games, as long as they graduate?

I second that opinion.
to 5 years.
I know it doesn't sound good but that is how I feel. I rather

GO Miners...

Why must it be either or? Why not have the best of both worlds? Natalicio did a lot for UTEP, however, with her antiquated approach, athletics has fallen behind the curve. Who is to say that we can’t find a President interested in BOTH strong academics AND competitive athletic programs?

Let’s be real, though. We don’t get on this forum to discuss Gilyard, Magee, Osborne, PT and the new crew’s grades. It’s all about the ball.

This whole academics versus athletics argument is pure horse crap. The other side can go to hell as long as my side wins attitude is piling shit on the whole university. Either we expect the best out of both academics and athletics or we quit wasting our money on UTEP and buy season tickets to the Chihuahuas and the Rhinos. The chump attitude that UTEP can only have one or the other is ruining both sides of the argument. Get a grip guys. UTEP has step up or fold on both sides. A rising tide raises all boats. Go Miners.

Best wishes to Dr. Natalicio by the way. You've done a lot for UTEP over the years. Sure, people say you could have done more, but at least they're arguing over how good you were rather than how bad. God bless.

I don’t think it’s so much about the players graduating. You want to be able to show your prospective employer your UTEP degree and him acknowledge it as something valuable. Not be known as the university with 100% acceptance rate that you don’t even have to speak English to be admitted into.

I personally think there should be a balance on both sides of the spectrum. No I don’t think we will ever win another National Title in basketball, no I don’t think we will ever win an Access Bowl but at the same time are we ever going to be a Tier 1 university? There has to be a realistic middle ground.

Reactions: HeWore62
So we know the University President has final say on who is hired at AD or Head Coaches, so who hires the President? the UT Regents?

No it’s a reality that you just don’t like. Find a way to support 2-3 women’s sports to have baseball for title 9 compliance (which utep is barely at). Let us know when you have sourced that $$$$ for baseball

Hope you made your donation to athletics since that budget is in the red, I have #epmad

No it’s a reality that you just don’t like. Find a way to support 2-3 women’s sports to have baseball for title 9 compliance (which utep is barely at). Let us know when you have sourced that $$$$ for baseball

Hope you made your donation to athletics since that budget is in the red, I have #epmad

Not only that, but it would be a massive failure. Who is going to go watch them in late February through May? March madness and the Chihuahuas blow college baseball out of the water. College baseball would not work here, it's a dumb idea, but it's coming from Fili, so just a normal day here.

Reactions: El Paso 1

Not only that, but it would be a massive failure. Who is going to go watch them in late February through May? March madness and the Chihuahuas blow college baseball out of the water. College baseball would not work here, it's a dumb idea, but it's coming from Fili, so just a normal day here.

I have to agree that baseball would be a tough sell here in El Paso. The money that would be needed to add/fund women’s sports as well as baseball could/should be used to enhance the sports that we do have. Football/Men’s BB/Women’s BB and Track & Field should be healthy from a financial standpoint before they think about adding more sports.

So you're fine with UTEP football and men's basketball losing games, as long as they graduate?

No but I want to see those young men and women be successful in life.
The game is not a going to put food on the table and pay the bills for ever
and you know that a small percentage make to the next level.
We all want to see UTEP win that is why we go to the games and we
are fans.

GO Miners...

One of the things that I hope will change is the way in which UTEP go about fundraising, in general. Dr. D kept an iron first control on major gifts that made an advancement department almost irrelevant. While she experienced success, to a great degree, I'm left wondering what will be the future for relationships with those donors since she was the key bridge to UTEP. Also, she carried such a large portfolio of relationships, some were neglected and others were not nurtured to full fruition, so their capacity in the amount they could potentially give was never reached.

Reactions: HeWore62

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/02/04/texplainer-whats-a-tier-one-university/

It'll take another 5-10 years but the groundwork has been laid, so we should achieve it. I would hope that everyone here would support/appreciate movement towards a goal like this.

"The criteria include easily measurable metrics such as an endowment of at least $400 million, at least 200 Ph.D.s conferred in each academic year of the preceding biennium and at least $45 million in expenditures of restricted research funds in each fiscal year of the preceding biennium. Others, like an entering freshman class that demonstrates “high academic achievement” and an institution that demonstrates “a commitment to high-quality graduate education,” are less objective." (emphasis is mine)

Others, like an entering freshman class that demonstrates “high academic achievement” and an institution that demonstrates “a commitment to high-quality graduate education,” are less objective." (emphasis is mine)

Will have to beef up admission standards. 100% admissions needs to go. It’s asinine to try and project UTEP as a Tier 1 school when more than half the students are on remedial classes and are not prepared for college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT