• Yes

Votes: 28 90.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Would we be ok with UTEP jumping ship if the new MWC looked something like this? I have UNLV and Air Force leaving in this example.

New MWC:

West:

San Jose St

Nevada

Sacramento St.

Utah St.

Wyoming

Hawaii

East:

UNM

NMSU

UTEP

Texas St.

La Tech

N. Dakota St.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Mountain West and CUSA should just merge. I do like being in conference with Liberty. I like new TV markets that CUSA is bringing, with the new schools.
Liberty is good, but definitely the only thing giving CUSA any credibility in Football, ESPN after last year even though Oregon exposed them!

Last edited:
Would we be ok with UTEP jumping ship if the new MWC looked something like this? I have UNLV and Air Force leaving in this example.

New MWC:

West:

San Jose St

Nevada

Sacramento St.

Utah St.

Wyoming

Hawaii

East:

UNM

NMSU

UTEP

Texas St.

La Tech

N. Dakota St.

the current list of cusa members reads like the ingredients on a package of fresh chorizo (lips and assholes)…..your list is mighty appealing, i don’t think utep’s administration is in any hurry to change conferences unfortunately

“Both New Mexico State and UTEP, I’m told, were regularly trying to get into the MWC for years, but faced resistance from both New Mexico and some of the more resourced league institutions.”

New MWC:

West:

San Jose St

Nevada

Sacramento St.

Utah St.

Wyoming

Hawaii

East:

UNM

NMSU

UTEP

Texas St.

La Tech

N. Dakota St.
Losing San Diego St and possibly UNLV, makes the MWC really unattractive to anything outside of the footprint. I don’t see Texas St leaving the SBC to play Wyoming and Nevada. Same with LaTech, been there, done that.

My guess of current MWC: Hawaii (FB only), Wyoming, San Jose, UNM, Nevada, Utah St

New additions: UTEP, NMSU, Grand Canyon (BB only)

Hope and pray the Pac12 doesn’t take UNLV and Air Force. No way they take UT-Arlington, as CUSA didn’t, though I would.

It’s slim pickings, but still better than remaining in CUSA and playing with FCS move ups from the east coast. At least it will be a good basketball league.

Losing San Diego St and possibly UNLV, makes the MWC really unattractive to anything outside of the footprint. I don’t see Texas St leaving the SBC to play Wyoming and Nevada. Same with LaTech, been there, done that.

My guess of current MWC: Hawaii (FB only), Wyoming, San Jose, UNM, Nevada, Utah St

New additions: UTEP, NMSU, Grand Canyon (BB only)

Hope and pray the Pac12 doesn’t take UNLV and Air Force. No way they take UT-Arlington, as CUSA didn’t, though I would.

It’s slim pickings, but still better than remaining in CUSA and playing with FCS move ups from the east coast. At least it will be a good basketball league.
UTEP football is FCS-strength right now. They brought a QB and several other players from FCS and we saw we're roughly SUU strength with these players.

We need to prove we can beat these FCS move-ups before any other conferences will give us a look.

UTEP football is FCS-strength right now. They brought a QB and several other players from FCS and we saw we're roughly SUU strength with these players.

We need to prove we can beat these FCS move-ups before any other conferences will give us a look.
That’s great, but despite what you say Utep is still being considered to move to the MWC. You may not be wrong, but bias based on the last game isn’t going to effect this decision!

Reactions: KaneFan29

It doesn’t matter how shitty your football program is when another conference is trying to survive and there are no other options. That’s why NMSU was invited by CUSA two years ago. CUSA didn’t have any other choices.

New MWC:

West:

San Jose St

Nevada

Sacramento St.

Utah St.

Wyoming

Hawaii

East:

UNM

NMSU

UTEP

Texas St.

La Tech

N. Dakota St.
I like that. I would love to see LA Tech keep their rivalry with UTEP.

Why does Metallica's "Sad But True" ring in my head?

New MW

San Jose St
Sacramento St
Idaho
Nevada
Hawaii
NMSU
UTEP
NAU
UNM
Wyoming
Air Force
Tarleton St

You think PAC takes more MW schools. And MW takes more FCS schools. Or what exactly won’t happen. Cuz this is realistic.
NAU plays here. They’re not going to replace it anytime soon.
Idaho plays here. They’re not going to replace it anytime soon and they just returned to FCS 6 years ago.

I would substitute the Montanas with them. Though I don’t know if they’re ready to trade in 9 win and national title run seasons for 6-6 and New Orleans Bowl seasons.

If CUSA won’t take Tarleton St, the MWC definitely isn’t either.

MW just like CUSA will have to take whatever is available and willing to move up. Both will be glorified FCS conferences

Reactions: Lil_Train
MW just like CUSA will have to take whatever is available and willing to move up. Both will be glorified FCS conferences
Sure, but if CUSA loses UTEP and NMSU, they would probably then want Tarleton and I can’t imagine they would choose this MWC over CUSA.

True. Depending on who else the PAC takes the MW will have slim pickings. At that point CUSA will have the upper hand on FCS schools.
The MWC only has the Big Sky teams and Dakotas as realistic possibilities. Anything east of El Paso is probably all CUSA’s to choose from.

New MWC:

West:

San Jose St

Nevada

Sacramento St.

Utah St.

Wyoming

Hawaii

East:

UNM

NMSU

UTEP

Texas St.

La Tech

N. Dakota St.
Texas State wouldn't go to the MWC. And no thanks to La Tech.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
My updated MWC along with Pac12

West:

San Jose St

Nevada

UNLV

Utah St.

Montana St

Sacramento St.

East:

UNM

NMSU

UTEP

Air Force

N. Dakota St.

Wyoming

Pac12

Wash St.

Oregon St.

Gonzaga (Basketball Only)

Hawaii (Football Only)

San Diego St

Fresno St.

Colorado St

Boise St

Rice (because of Academics) Small Possibility of UTSA

Memphis

Tulane

Last edited:
Reactions: Miner_Tavo
No, UTEP and NMSU should join the Big Ten. Even more stability and teams don’t leave either.

I was also thinking they could join Big East and try and rebuilt the Big East? Get the Big East Schools to move up in football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT