ADVERTISEMENT

News from Randy Culpepper...

Culpepper when have been a Top 10 pick as an NFL corner if he would have went the football route.

Culpepper when have been a Top 10 pick as an NFL corner if he would have went the football route.

B7e57L9IQAAccov.jpg:large

Huh?

I'm serious. 6 foot. You know that he had to run 4.4 or faster. He ran away from people on the breakaway. He had a burst of speed. Explosive.
Plus with that vertical. You can see his quick hands and instincts on the court. His athleticism alone would get crazy combine numbers.

I don't know if he ever played or considered football, but he has an ideal skill set for corner or a slot receiver.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I'm serious. 6 foot. You know that he had to run 4.4 or faster. He ran away from people on the breakaway. He had a burst of speed. Explosive.
Plus with that vertical. You can see his quick hands and instincts on the court. His athleticism alone would get crazy combine numbers.

I don't know if he ever played or considered football, but he has an ideal skill set for corner or a slot receiver.

Slot receiver. He liked to put points on the board more than anything.

I can see where you’re coming from. He was really fu$&ing athletic and gifted with uber quickness, speed, hops and great hand-eye coordination. Top 10? Maybe you’re just yankin’ chains.

Last edited:
Damn I didnt remember him being 6'. I thought he was like 5'7". He always put on memorable dunk displays. He really grew as a player at UTEP. He wasnt a fan favorite because of his reckless play and horrendous shot selection his Freshman and Sophmore year. He matured his junior and senior season. He became a complete player and made himself a UTEP legend.

A memory made was being in Orlando to witness Culpepper single handily dismantling UCF with 3 after 3, after 3 (9 for 15). He scored 39 that night and the Miners won by 37. As I recall, Fili Rivera was at that game with his family, too.

GO MINERS!

I remember a quadrouple overtime game against UAB at their place. Randy hit a couple of big shots to keep us in.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I remember a quadrouple overtime game against UAB at their place. Randy hit a couple of big shots to keep us in.
Man the more I think back on that year the more it sucks that we missed the NCAA tourney.

We win that game or the Memphis game and we were dancing. We were winning both games with a minute left to play.

I see what you're saying that he's a prototypelical corner. His athletic measurables would rank him really high on NFL draft charts, but he didn't play football, so at best he would get camp invites if he switched to football.

Randy made the right choice sticking to basketball. He made a ton of money, got to travel the world, and didn't have to suffer the physical toll of a football player.

Reactions: develman
Damn I didnt remember him being 6'. I thought he was like 5'7". He always put on memorable dunk displays. He really grew as a player at UTEP. He wasnt a fan favorite because of his reckless play and horrendous shot selection his Freshman and Sophmore year. He matured his junior and senior season. He became a complete player and made himself a UTEP legend.
Played against him at memorial gym and met him several times. He dunked on me one time and I stopped playing defense on him lol He was definitely not 5'7 maybe 5'10-5-11 definitely not 6'0 though.

I still remember walking around the Don and seeing Randy crying in the arms of Gabe after Memphis beat us in the championship game.
RC wasn't the only one that shed some tears that day 😉 At the time, I figured Floyd would have them back in the tourney soon anyway, but boy was I mistaken. The pain had just started.

RC wasn't the only one that shed some tears that day 😉 At the time, I figured Floyd would have them back in the tourney soon anyway, but boy was I mistaken. The pain had just started.
Pains me to say it, but they would’ve been in Floyd’s first year if, my fav player of that era, Julyan Stone could make a lay-up.

And if there wasn’t a bias against mid major conf, they should’ve been in the gambling year when Bohannon put the team on his back.

Curious when the next time we will make the tournament

Those teams with cullpepper you knew as soon as they were assembled they would be awesome

Same thing with fili and Omar .. first time I saw them play I knew we had something

When are we gonna have that feeling again ?

Curious when the next time we will make the tournament

Those teams with cullpepper you knew as soon as they were assembled they would be awesome

Same thing with fili and Omar .. first time I saw them play I knew we had something

When are we gonna have that feeling again ?
I thought we had it Washburn's senior year and again early on in Terry's 2nd season. Neither lasted too long though. You are right about that 2009-10 team. They just hadn't a different aura about them. Great cast of players. Still couldn't get over the hump though.

Last edited:
Imagine what that team could have done if they didn’t fold vs Butler. What the heck was that about? I heard years ago that there was a big falling out at halftime because they knew Barbee was leaving. I wonder if there is any truth to that.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Imagine what that team could have done if they didn’t fold vs Butler. What the heck was that about? I heard years ago that there was a big falling out at halftime because they knew Barbee was leaving. I wonder if there is any truth to that.
I dont think UTEP folded. Maybe some of us thought that was the case at the time, but Butler was the better team. They really turned it on in the the 2nd half.

I dont think UTEP folded. Maybe some of us thought that was the case at the time, but Butler was the better team. They really turned it on in the the 2nd half.
Butler was extremely good and we were unfortunate enough to start the tournament against a team that barely lost to Duke in the title game. It also didn’t help that word got out that Barbee was leaving and most of his players from Tennessee really took that personally

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Butler was extremely good and we were unfortunate enough to start the tournament against a team that barely lost to Duke in the title game. It also didn’t help that word got out that Barbee was leaving and most of his players from Tennessee really took that personally
Yes. That’s kind of what I heard. UTEP was so athletic and they had so many weapons that there’s no way they should have folded the way they did. That thing came unhinged at the half’. There’s no 2 ways about it.

One of the most heartbreaking losses I could remember. I was pissed for week 😡 Lost Moultrie and Character, but still did well in conference and had the tourney at our place!!! I'm mad just talking about it now lol

Reactions: kickballpro
Well if that's the case then they deserved to lose. All I remember is getting blitzed in the 2nd half by 3 pointers.

Regarding the loss to Butler, I've heard and read multiple times where someone said " I talked to xxxx (a player on the team) who confirmed that Barbee told the team at halftime that he was taking another job." I have also heard and read multiple times where someone said "I talked to yyyy and he insisted that this absolutely did not happen." Only those in the locker room know for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Regarding the loss to Memphis, I've heard and read multiple times where someone said " I talked to xxxx (a player on the team) who confirmed that Barbee told the team at halftime that he was taking another job." I have also heard and read multiple times where someone said "I talked to yyyy and he insisted that this absolutely did not happen." Only those in the locker room know for sure.
You mean loss to Butler..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT