ADVERTISEMENT

News from Randy Culpepper...

Regarding the loss to Memphis, I've heard and read multiple times where someone said " I talked to xxxx (a player on the team) who confirmed that Barbee told the team at halftime that he was taking another job." I have also heard and read multiple times where someone said "I talked to yyyy and he insisted that this absolutely did not happen." Only those in the locker room know for sure.
It’s somewhere between whatever happened in the locker room and Butler hitting the NCAA record for 3s in an NCAAT game.

Personally, the team looked flat in warmups coming out of halftime and it looked like only Culpepper, Caracter, and one other player (who I can’t remember, I didn’t watch the highlights) had their head in the game.

One cool thing was seeing Murray St’s buzzer beater to beat Vandy just before the UTEP game

Regarding the loss to Butler, I've heard and read multiple times where someone said " I talked to xxxx (a player on the team) who confirmed that Barbee told the team at halftime that he was taking another job." I have also heard and read multiple times where someone said "I talked to yyyy and he insisted that this absolutely did not happen." Only those in the locker room know for sure.
I think there was no news at halftime. Butler was seeded too high. We weren’t on their level for 40 minutes. Maybe if Barbee stays and keeps everyone together for the following season. But they seemed to be a level or three above us.

I think there was no news at halftime. Butler was seeded too high. We weren’t on their level for 40 minutes. Maybe if Barbee stays and keeps everyone together for the following season. But they seemed to be a level or three above us.
I totally agree. As good as that team was we lost to NMSU at home and I don't think we beat a top 25 team all year (Maybe the 1st game against UAB)? We lost the CUSA championship game and to a top 10 championship caliber team in Butler.

The next year's team was set up to have a good run with Moultrie and McCulley with Bo and Moreland as freshman.

To me that whole barbee said he was leaving at halftime doesn’t make any sense to me… why would that even be addressed at that point? To me that just sounds like an excuse or something to make us feel better about the loss

I don't believe it either.

What position is he trying to get on for? Definitely not a good look, but not surprising

What position is he trying to get on for? Definitely not a good look, but not surprising
Well at the same time does he warrant a spot as an assistant coach right off the bat? I see where a lot of the football guys start as grad assistants and work their way up. Look at OT… he had to latch on with Doc Sadler and now he’s back in EP as a high school coach. I think Culpepper was an amazing player but is he coach material?

Well at the same time does he warrant a spot as an assistant coach right off the bat? I see where a lot of the football guys start as grad assistants and work their way up. Look at OT… he had to latch on with Doc Sadler and now he’s back in EP as a high school coach. I think Culpepper was an amazing player but is he coach material?
That’s why we would need more information. I think Randy is aware enough to know he can’t expect to be an assistant coach with the current staff just because he wants to. Maybe he doesn’t?

Is he willing to grind, start at the bottom? There’s probably something he could do with UTEP athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT